Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Open university degree grading?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do the TMAs for UO students count towards final degree classification?

I'm considering enrolling for the Law degree (W200, W201, W300, W301) which seem to be 6-8 TMAs and an exam.

Will the TMAs count towards the grade or are they just a way of assessing your own strengths and weaknesses in preparation for the exams?

Furthermore, I'm sure the first few TMAs I submit will not be as high a standard as those later on down the line when I have become more accustomed to studying by distance learning, so I assume that the level 1 courses carry less weight towards the final degree to give me time to adjust to studying alongside working.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Level ! courses don't count towards your degree classification. You just need to pass them, which requires 40% overall for TMAs and the same for the exam (if there is one).

When you become an OU student there is a qualification planner on the website and you can work out what grades you would need to achieve for each degree classification.

On most, if not all, courses the TMAs and the exams carry equal weight.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/our-student-p.../honsclass.pdf

this should help, although it confuses me terribly
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Regarding degree classification, have a read through this document Soazak: http://www3.open.ac.uk/our-student-p.../honsclass.pdf

It explains it better than I ever could but one key point to take away is that your level 1 results make no contribution to your final degree classification.

As for individual courses, most tend to follow this pattern:

Your marks for the year are split up into two scores, your overall continuous assessment score (OCAS), an average of all your TMAs scores through the year, and your overall examinable score (OES), which can come from either an exam or a year-long project depending on the course. The grading system has the following thresholds:

Distinction = 85% and higher
    Grade 2 = 70% to 84%
    Grade 3 = 55% to 69%
    Grade 4 = 40% to 54%
    Fail = 39% or lower.

And typically, to be assigned a certain grade you need to get above the threshold in both your OCAS and OES. To illustrate. In one of the first courses I took, I got an OCAS of 78% and an OES of 64%. Now if you average them you get 71% and I initially thought I would be getting a Grade 2, yet because my OES hadn't met the required threshold, I was given a Grade 3.

There does appear to be some wiggle room in the above rule though as in a later year I got an OCAS of 85% and an OES of 65%, yet was awarded a Grade 2 even though I missed the threshold by 5% on the OES.

EDIT - Sorry for repeating some of the earlier advice, I type rather slowly
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both, that is exactly what I am looking for!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes there is a "Final TMA" which carries more weight than the others. At least there is on M150. There's an "assessment calculator" which calculates your predicted score which you can access when you've started. Which is kinda funky.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying with the Open University, and I know this post is five years after this thread last saw any activity, but I'd like to clarify that the percentage of your grade requires completely on the type of course you are studying.
    I require 40% on my OCAS (TMA essays) and then 40% for my OES (Exam) on one module, but on another I need 30% OCAS and 50% OES.

To forward Niel.A.H's point...
    I am studying BA(Hons) Humanities: Literature and Classics, and in my first module I am averaging 88.85% on my OCAS, which would be a first class honours if it were in year 2 or 3. For my OES, I am predicted a score of 75% (my results are still pending). Even so, with pass marks of 88.85% and 75%, my degree is still only classified as a Pass, not a Distinction, meaning that you must achieve above 85% on both areas, not just overall or in one area, in order to obtain a first class degree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am also studying with OU and science seems to work differently

We have x amount of TMA's throughout the year and you need an accumulated of 40% to be able to sit the exam then the result from that determines your grade and only the exam result

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Is the grading described above still correct? As its 2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aledevans1990)
    Hi Aledevans1990,

It varies a lot from module to module. All the information people have given so far is correct, but there isn't a general system that applies to all modules.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aledevans1990)
    What will you be studying, may be able to help further

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: November 9, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Open University Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered Open University Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.