The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Laus
When I did my GCSE maths exam the highest you could get was a "D". Yes, it is odd.

They've changed it and removed intermediate tier. Now, it's
Higher - A*-D grades available (and a U)
Foundation - C-G grades available (and a U)
Reply 81
Helena in Bristol
They've changed it and removed intermediate tier. Now, it's
Higher - A*-D grades available (and a U)
Foundation - C-G grades available (and a U)

Yup. I'm taking the latter as I know I will not be able to cope with higher...

:ta:
Reply 82
Laus
Yup. I'm taking the latter as I know I will not be able to cope with higher...

:ta:

I (along with two thirds of the class as they'd messed up the set system) had the option of upgrading to the higher if I wanted. I decided not to. Condemn my lack of ambition, but a B in GCSE maths is more than enough providing I got As and A*s in everything else. I was unsure whethere I'd cope with the higher figuring it would be easier to get a B on the intermediate than higher paper.

Then came the exams, the intermediate papers were the most patronsiing exams, far easier than the past papers. The higher exam though was apparently very hard and I know of people who should have got As but came out with Cs after burning out during the exam.

I can't speak for the difficulty of the higher paper myself as I didn't see it.
Reply 83
it's been 2 days since the OP has posted this, so let's test him/her. we'll start with the hard ones:

1. johhny had 3 apples. he ate one and stole 2 more from the turkish shop on the road. how many apples does johnny have now? [5]

2. 6 x 1 = ? [3]

3. i leave my house at 9:00am and get to college at 9:15am. how long was my journey? [4]

don't worry if you find these difficult, OP -- they're supposed to be.
Reply 84
madima

3. i leave my house at 9:00am and get to college at 9:15am. how long was my journey? [4]

9:15 the same day?

OP I was supposed to PM you today with some proper advice. If you're interested then let me know. I'll try and get in touch tomorrow.
Reply 85
madima
it's been 2 days since the OP has posted this, so let's test him/her. we'll start with the hard ones:

1. johhny had 3 apples. he ate one and stole 2 more from the turkish shop on the road. how many apples does johnny have now? [5]

2. 6 x 1 = ? [3]

don't worry if you find these difficult, OP -- they're supposed to be.

I take it you are trying to mock him/her.
Reply 86
BasiConcept

I think so. It shows how insecure some people are, having to mock someone else for being what they perceive to be intellectually inferior.
Reply 87
BasiConcept

No, those are proper GCSE questions.
ScottyDawgUk

Piece_by_piece - you're a moron. All you ever do on this forum is give all this crappy advice trying to be nice and make friends. Its pathetic idiot.

Thanks for that ! :wink:
Reply 89
ScottyDawgUk

Piece_by_piece - you're a moron. All you ever do on this forum is give all this crappy advice trying to be nice and make friends. Its pathetic idiot.

That wasn't very nice.
I can only detect one moron in this thread and its not p-b-p!
Reply 90
BasiConcept
That wasn't very nice.
I can only detect one moron in this thread and its not p-b-p!

River85?
Reply 91
nofo
River85?

:biggrin: Ho ho ho. Two morons in this thread, including me. Maybe three.
Reply 92
burninginme
I've been predicted an E in GCSE Maths, although I never actually had time to finish the mock paper I was set, so I only did the first quater; and I struggled with those questions on the foundation paper! So, is there much hope to improve to a C Level in 2 and a half months? To be honest, I don't really understand the simplest of concepts in Maths. I'm ashamed to admit I don't even know my tables; although I do have some excuse for that - my primary school never bothered to teach them.

Go on ebay and write like GCSE maths tutorials, I bought this Cd which is amazing it can change your grade by like 3/4.
Reply 93
the ORIGINAL abyssgirl
Er - from what I've just read in your message, I'm not seeing any possibility in you getting that C. Seriously, if you don't know your times tables, how are you going to get anywhere with Maths? And blaming your teacher for that is just pathetic; it's your own responsibility, as well as your parents' to take charge of your education. If you don't, you suffer.

Then again, not everyone's good at Maths. Maybe there's somewhere else that you excel in? If so, don't worry so much about it and focus on what you ARE good at. 'Kay?

True, I found it a little odd that something as basic as the time tables hadn't been taught properly, and that his parents don't seem to be as involved in his education as many others are. I know my parents certainly wouldn't have allowed me to get to the age of 8 without knowing my times tables well enough. Still, we don't know the full story and can't judge.

It could be that the op has real difficulties with maths due to a learning difficulty. It doesn't take much to be left behind and forgotten about. For difficulties to be ignored. I know of a number of people who have serious problems with maths and did ask for help but were pretty much ignored and dismissed. How do you know the op hasn't asked for help in the past? To say they should "suffer" is very heartless. They could be quite adept at maths (as in, have the potential) but fail to reach it due to a lack of basic knowledge.

As I've said I got a D in one of my GCSE mock exams. It was dominated too much by looking for number patters and some long division. Not enough algebra for my liking. I think in the calc paper I only got a C-B. Things still worked out OK for me in the end.

Don't judge on the one exam. OP, if you want some help then just let me know. PM me and I may be able to help you get some tutor support. Also, if you could let me know of any other difficulties you may have (difficulty telling time, poor working memory, lack of organisation, poor sense of direction) then let me know. I'll try and help.
Reply 94
burninginme
I've been predicted an E in GCSE Maths, although I never actually had time to finish the mock paper I was set, so I only did the first quater; and I struggled with those questions on the foundation paper! So, is there much hope to improve to a C Level in 2 and a half months? To be honest, I don't really understand the simplest of concepts in Maths. I'm ashamed to admit I don't even know my tables; although I do have some excuse for that - my primary school never bothered to teach them.

You have nothing to be ashamed of. E is still a grade, and predictions are bleugh. My friend was predicted C for her second year of science. yet she got majority A/A* for her previous year.

If you try hard...you should be proud of whatever you achieve.
Reply 95
Ceorl.Euphoria
You have nothing to be ashamed of. E is still a grade, and predictions are bleugh.

Yes. It's the teacher that makes the prediction but the teacher may be incompetent and have unfairly low expectations of you. In which case they don't mean anything.

Also, in this case, if the teacher is not offering you more help, especially if you've requested it, they certainly are incompetent and failing to meet their professional responsibilities.

If you want some more advice, PM me but please try and see someone at school about this.

Latest