The Student Room Group

Vegetarian Vets?

Scroll to see replies

working? :p: lol
Reply 41
It does seem to have gone quite since the uni's finished making offers and rejections!
That's ok, I'm sure soon people will want to know how to spend summer holidays, how to get a good tan, summer romance questions talk about how people did in summer exams.

And of course the "prom dress" threads will probably be replaced with questions on sandals and bikinis. :smile:
Reply 43
All very good points.
I just wanted to get my two cents in about how the meat industry can't be totally condemned :smile:

So guys, just a question 'cause I'm intrigued - if it could somehow be guaranteed that all slaughtering was humane, and conditions were perfect etc etc - would you eat meat?
I don't want to sound as if I'm picking holes in your opinions, 'cause I'm not, I'm just curious!

As for the unfortunate decline in posts... I guess we're served our purpose. No-one needs a news feed or support system now all the offers are out.
How sad :p:
Possibly... I don't know, being a vegetarian for about 5/6 years I've sort of got used to not eating meat, lol. But, I don't think that will ever happen realistically though.
Reply 45
I wouldnt. There are some health risks associated with meat consumption, and it also takes a toll on the environment. Also, I just find the idea kinda icky:P

Do you guys think that vets have certain similar character traits, and for that reason we have a bigger chance of making really good friendships in uni? Sorry for randomness, lol:tongue:
emilyyy
All very good points.
I just wanted to get my two cents in about how the meat industry can't be totally condemned :smile:

So guys, just a question 'cause I'm intrigued - if it could somehow be guaranteed that all slaughtering was humane, and conditions were perfect etc etc - would you eat meat?
I don't want to sound as if I'm picking holes in your opinions, 'cause I'm not, I'm just curious!

As for the unfortunate decline in posts... I guess we're served our purpose. No-one needs a news feed or support system now all the offers are out.
How sad :p:

I've always said I would, especially in the beginning but now I just could not eat meat, not because of ethical/moral reasons but because I just couldn't stomach it. Bit like "I'm a celebrity" when you see them eat all that weird stuff lol :wink:
Dissey
Do you guys think that vets have certain similar character traits, and for that reason we have a bigger chance of making really good friendships in uni? Sorry for randomness, lol:tongue:

I think that it does have a part to play. You have similar-ish interests, shared similar experiences and spend a great deal of time together (working and playing), its a recipe for vet school incest and friendship :eek: Plus, to actually be a successful vet and to get in you need all of the communication, life skills, team working, etc, so generally vets are outgoing and social.
Reply 48
Interestiiiing :p:
Heh, yeah I agree with Choco.
I had one vet tell me to avoid spending my entire time with vet students or I'll end up derranged lol
ch0c0h01ic
its a recipe for vet school incest and friendship :eek: QUOTE]

Lol, I'm still here guys just occasionally popping in and out again. I'm a veggie and i don't have a problem with other people eating meat, as long as they realise where it actually comes from. Alot of people seem to be completely dissasociated from where their food which i find worrying as they then don't relate animal rights to the food industry.
How do veggies deal with ppl teasing you by saying things like:
"I ate a cow today"
"Meat is good for you"
I know they're saying it in a joking way, but when they mention it almost every day, it can get a tad annoying.
As you said dinkyferret, I don't think they understand why I don't eat meat and how it's actually manufactured.

And also, a question for all those meat-eaters who say they don't have a problem if it's humane, what do you do about eating out, takeaways, gelatine in sweets, etc.? - as the meat for those is probably gained as cheaply as possible, so is probably from non free range farms where animals are not treated as humanely as we would like.
Reply 52
well i dont like most takeaways. icky maccy D's (unless i am starving) i dont like burger king or KFC either. with other takaways like chinease i will eat some of the meat dishes but again i have to be quite hungry when eating takaways. with eating in resturants alot of them actually have quite decent meet. i suppose it depends on where you go, but alot the restuarants around here have fairly decent sources of meet. some even pride themselves on being organic or free range and stuff. as for gelatine in sweets, alot dont have gelatine in it anymore. also i dont eat them often. i prefer chocolate. god i sound like such a fussy eater. see i couldnt go veggie anyway cause the list is even longer with the stuff i dont like thts veggie eatable lol.

one of my best mates is a veggie and her bf is kinda stupid cause he was eating a shrimp (ew) the other day and he goes to her dont look! and we were both like ummm veggies can look at meat and touch it etc they just dont eat it. idiot lol.
Reply 53
I've been a vet for 15 years and a vegetarian for 25.
I hear the "but we evolved to eat meat, we're hunters..." argument all the time. LMAO!! Whole lotta need for high calorie animal protein when you're sitting in a centrally heated house with your iPad and you "hunt" your food in Tesco....
Veggie over here! Quite rare tbh which surprises me a bit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending