The Student Room Group

1000 calorie dieting?!?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm 5'10 and weigh about the same the same, and am deathly thin, always trying to put weight on!

Yes, I'm a couple of inches taller, but it's bad to be too thin! I'm about a stone or two underweight, so that works out to mean that you're probably at just the right weight. If in doubt, go and see your doctor.
t_ucd
While I agree that 1200 - 1400 is obviously healthier, I still think it's too low - isn't the general definition of starvation mode eating less than 1500 a day?

nah, it's basically eating less than your BMR (basal metabolic rate), which depends on your weight, height and age among other things. I guessed 1200-1400 but having worked it out more exactly for the OP (OP, I guessed your age as 18) hers would be more like the upper end at about 1430, because she's fairly tall. your bmr can vary but is very unlikely to be below 1200cals unless you're incredibly short or light.
DO NOT go on this diet.
You have a history of eating disorders, and although you may feel like you are over your problems a crash diet is the sort of behaviour that can start them off again.

You are not overweight, and I think you are being slightly paranoid.
It is your attitude to your weight and food that should change, not your diet.

Personally I think eating 2000 Calories a day of mainly healthy food would be more suited to you. It would stop you gaining weight and make you feel positive without going on a rediculous diet which is unrealistic.
Reply 23
You shouldn't just pick a number of calories someone has told you or you have heard of, that they lost weight with. It all depends on how active a lifestyle you lead, your metabolism an how much you on average are already taking in daily.

Why don't you monitor for a day how much roughly you are taking in now and then you can deduct a little (not a drastic amount!) from that total. If you also try and fit in a bit more exercise into your day aswell you will see an improvement and you can keep it up and lose a little at a healthy rate and in a way that will last.

If you go and start strictly only eating 1000 maximum a day, there's no way you can keep this up forever and no doubt once you stop it will pile back on. You don't need to lose anything anyway as the healthy weight range for 5'6 is 8st 12lbs - 11st 1lbs . You could try just exercising a little more to tone up? That could make you feel better.
Reply 24
InnocentEyes
nah, it's basically eating less than your BMR (basal metabolic rate), which depends on your weight, height and age among other things. I guessed 1200-1400 but having worked it out more exactly for the OP (OP, I guessed your age as 18) hers would be more like the upper end at about 1430, because she's fairly tall. your bmr can vary but is very unlikely to be below 1200cals unless you're incredibly short or light.

Oh yeah, I knew there was some more accurate way of calculating it...was being a bit too general there!
Reply 25
Anonymous
plz keep anon or delete.

hey,
i weighed myself today after a long while and ive put on 4kgs. This really upset me because it makes me feel like a failure.
I was at 56kg and now im at nearly 60kg. If i allow myself to go over 60kg, it will show how weak and stupid i am =(
my height is 5ft 6

I'm considering starting a 1000 calorie diet just so i can get to 54-55kg, because losing weight makes me feel really happy.
I have had some form of an eating disorder for the past 2 years, but im sure im better now.
But i have a really strong urge to lose the 4kgs, which cant be that bad. Its really bothering me tho... i cant stop thinkin about it.

is it possible to eat only 1000 calories a day? i read that it can get really good results really fast. im just so desperate because i feel so miserable.

plz help.

If you're in any way uncomfortable about your body shape, you might want to tone up a little bit by taking up a racket sport, going to the gym, whatever you think might float you boat.

I can only stress though, that you're a very normal weight for your height. No reason for you to feel uncomfortable there.

Particularly as you have a history of eating disorder, i'm sure you can see yourself that you'd best not malnurish yourself in order to become underweight.

If these thoughts really do continue to trouble you, perhaps you might want to discuss them with your parents (or if you think a different or more professional approach might help you relax and feel confident, a psychologist)?

Edit: sorry :smile:, i didn't mean to patronise... i should go to bed soon; why don't you do away with scales altogether though, if you feel tempted to count the kilos?
iv done it, i did it for a week and lost nearly a stone, with doing a fair bit of walking and a little bit (you only really have the energy to do a litle bit) of running too.

its not easy though, you get some low moods and its furstrating. i had to stop and not do it longer temr because it wa smaking my depression worse.

im 11 stone 10 pounds now and 6ft 1 tall so im an okay height/weight but i cant help it i still want to loose another stone :-/
Reply 27
Try and have at least 1,200 a day, 1000 is a little bit low 1,200 is the lowest you should go without medical guidance. Tbh you don't sound fat at all anyway. Walking/running does wonders :yep:
Reply 28

Hey,

from my own personal experience the fact that you have this goal of 4kg sounds kind of like an eating disordered thought, making goals and giving yourself a restriction of just 1000 calories a day.

Yes, you could sustain that diet but if it does make you feel so good when you lose weight then how do you know that when you get to this 4kg then that will be enough? For me it was always about reaching that goal, and then somehow that goal didn't seem enough anymore...until things spiralled and i ended up messing up my life.

You are a healthy weight and there is far much more to you than what you weigh. Not eating enough makes you depressed and gives you less energy to concentrate on things that are actually important.

With a history of eating disorders i honestly would say don't risk it. Think of all the things you could be doing with your life instead of focusing on weight/calories, because in all honestly 4kgs is definately not going to make a huge difference to your life and certainly wont change anyones opinions of you.

Take care
xxxx
Anonymous
plz keep anon or delete.

hey,
i weighed myself today after a long while and ive put on 4kgs. This really upset me because it makes me feel like a failure.
I was at 56kg and now im at nearly 60kg. If i allow myself to go over 60kg, it will show how weak and stupid i am =(
my height is 5ft 6

I'm considering starting a 1000 calorie diet just so i can get to 54-55kg, because losing weight makes me feel really happy.
I have had some form of an eating disorder for the past 2 years, but im sure im better now.
But i have a really strong urge to lose the 4kgs, which cant be that bad. Its really bothering me tho... i cant stop thinkin about it.

is it possible to eat only 1000 calories a day? i read that it can get really good results really fast. im just so desperate because i feel so miserable.

plz help.

I would say that you need to forget about calories completely. I know what it feels like to be totally obsessed with how many calories are in things, and it's not nice. I think if you've had 'a slight eating disorder' before you are best off focusing on eating healthier, better food. You'll feel better in yourself anyway, and look better too!

(I am sort of speaking from experience here, I am becoming body-loathing again and forcing myself to ignore calories etc, and it's working.)

Oh, and if you put YOUR height and weight into a bmi calculator (though I know this isn't definitive for everyone) you get this:

Your BMI is 21.5 If your BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9 you're an ideal weight for your height. To maintain this, make sure you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet and keep active with regular exercise

So there you go, it's official!

Instead of spending money on crazy horrid foods like 'rice cakes' (why they're called cakes I shall never understand) go shopping or something, buy make up (if you're female... just realised it's anon, haha) and new clothes that you feel good in... oh and walk to town to do it.

Please don't be obsessed and think you'll feel better just after 4kg.
Reply 30
Go running everyday on an empty stomach (when you wake up) and then just eat normally.
For someone your height I certainly wouldn't advise it. I eat around this much, but I am only five feet tall and I have'nt been excercising much because of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. For a relatively active person your size that just isn't enough. Also, eating disorders don't just suddenly dissapear. The feelings you describe indecate to me that you haven't yet recovered.
I'm the worst person to be commenting on this as I'm on around 400 cals a day at the moment, and I'm quite genuinely worried I'm slipping into some eating disorder. I know what I'm doing is wrong though, and I know it's not going to work in the long run... and it's already making me ill. Exercise is definitely the way forward.
Good luck, :hugs: xx
Reply 33
ManxKirsty
I just ate 700 calories worth of cookies, so i would totally fail on this diet! However they were marylands...

Oh god why did I move to freakin' russia???

mmmm marylands.

On a side note, I must weigh about that and I'm 5'1. And a respectable 8-10. Weight means almost nothing. My doc says I'm good and healthy (I had to have a medical exam before my move to the motherland) I think I'm entirely t&a.
At 60kg your BMI is perfect, but if your weight is really bothering you crash dieting isn't the answer. Exercise is more benefitial, and more effective than dieting.
I eat about 700 calories a day and aim to burn off about 400 and i'm absolutley fine. I feel healthier and fitter and its not really hard to change your eating habits if you're determined enough. Its not unhealthy to eat under 1000 calories if you're eating the right things, e.g. don't eat 4 200 calorie chocolate bars all day because its unhealthy and just won't fill you up, you need to think about food strategically and the right foods in small amounts can keep you going during the day plus a lot of water :p:

Personally i think exercise is the key as boring as it sounds :p: I eat in terms of what i know i have or can burn off which is a bit obsessive but its the only thing that keeps my eating in check and my weight going down :p: Although i think long term weight loss really comes down to the individual and what works best for them. All i can say though is if you're ever doing anything that remotely makes you feel ill and you think its a result of your eating, then stop. It's obviously not working and you'll resent your new 'eating plan' because it's making you feel ill and you'll soon ditch it and start eating unhealthily again. Just keep an eye on calories, i use a cross-trainer that shows me how many i've burned so i can keep quite a close eye on what i eat and drink during the day to make sure i'm not eating like a billion calories without burning off enough, but like i said that's my personal way of losing weight, you just need to find what works best for you that doesn't make you feel ill or uncomfortable :smile:

Edit: Surfing through this thread I wouldn't say eating less than 1000 calories isn't achieveable long term, i've been doing it since about christmas...
I don't literally eat only about 700 calories as i do a lot of exercise with it. Iiii dunno, maybe what i do sounds odd to people as most people think less than a 1000 calories = starvation which i really havn't found to be the case, my weight has been steadily decreasing over the last few months (best part of a stone i think) without any repurcussions or weight going back on so it can't be all bad :p: x
Reply 36
OP here.
i did try the 1000 calorie thing. I ate a small bowl of cereal in the morning, maltesers for lunch (maybe a sandwich depending on how weak i felt) and i had a normal dinner.

however, i weighed myself like a few days ago, and i haven't lost ANYTHING. nothing at all. so i guess i'll have to eat less :s-smilie:

i felt like a total failure. i guess i was hoping that if i could shift the excess weight, it would be at least ONE thing i could do right, since my life isnt exactly the most glamorous. all the effort i made to not eat was wasted.

ever since the initial discovery of the 'extra 4kgs', i've been crying every night because i feel like im losing control of everything. i feel fat, ugly, obsess about planning meals in my head, and i just want to stay in bed forever, because i feel safe there.

tbh if im relapsing, i will welcome it because at least starving myself will be one achievement, and this time it will be secret because i dont plan on telling anyone how i feel.
Anonymous
OP here.
i did try the 1000 calorie thing. I ate a small bowl of cereal in the morning, maltesers for lunch (maybe a sandwich depending on how weak i felt) and i had a normal dinner.

Maltesers? Jesus Christ, you have 3 meals per day and one of them is freakin' Maltesers?

however, i weighed myself like a few days ago, and i haven't lost ANYTHING. nothing at all. so i guess i'll have to eat less :s-smilie:

Oh, great idea. I don't mean to be a dick, but unfortunately I am. Just because the first stupid idea you had didn't work, that doesn't mean the second one will.

i felt like a total failure. i guess i was hoping that if i could shift the excess weight, it would be at least ONE thing i could do right, since my life isnt exactly the most glamorous. all the effort i made to not eat was wasted.

If you put that effort into exercising, maybe you wouldn't fail. If you didn't set stupid goals and do stupid things to achieve them, you would also be less likely to fail. That's just my opinion though, don't let it get in the way of more great ideas.

ever since the initial discovery of the 'extra 4kgs', i've been crying every night because i feel like im losing control of everything. i feel fat, ugly, obsess about planning meals in my head, and i just want to stay in bed forever, because i feel safe there.

I think your problems go beyond eating disorders, and apparently also beyond having stupid ideas. My e-diagnosis is depression, and I feel very special giving people e-diagnoses so don't throw it back in my face. See a doctor.

tbh if im relapsing, i will welcome it because at least starving myself will be one achievement, and this time it will be secret because i dont plan on telling anyone how i feel.

You told the biggest student forum around genius.
for heavens sake - you think that putting on weight means you're weak and stupid? geez give me a break. What does weight have to do with intelligence for a start? You think only stupid people eat cake?

If you really want to lose weight there are far more sensible ways of doing it than eating next to nothing. I'm doing slimming world - I am losing weight and I get to eat lots of things, it's very filling and there is a great deal of choice and variety.

But the real issue is that you aren't even overweight. You appear to have psychological issues that would be better resolved by seeking professional help.
OP...eating less does not = weight loss.... slimmingworld will tell you that. if you limit your food intake your metabolism slows right down so when you do decide to it your body cant metabolise it quick enough so it just turns to fat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending