The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
People revising for over 4/5 hours a day is highly unproductive and inefficient revising! You would most likely not absorb all the information on the process in the long run as a result so try to start earlier and plan out your revision.
Understanding is key. Quality over Quantity anyday!
kashmir.noir
Whats the best way to revise A-level history?

(Modern European History- French Rev, Russian Rev, Italian unification, German unification & Road to ww1 and International History - Cold War, The UN, Sino-Soviet relations etc.)

What board you on?
Im on OCR and Ive got the Historical Interpretations paper with one source question and one essay question and finally the themes paper where you have to answer 2 questions and analyse the period of 100 years.

Ive just been taking the syllabus and my books and just writing up short notes on each topic. These are the notes which you plan to stick into essays so make sure they are concise and clear.

For sources its all about technique. Learn where to drop in knowledge and provenance and the 45 marks are basically yours. For the interpretations essay learn opinions in that period. You will get a C and lower if you do not have a debate going on in your essay. For the themes paper learn how to make plans on finding the turning points in the period relevant to your essay title and how they affected it. A quick plan can save you alot of time in a quite frantic exam.

Good Luck.

Im having problems of balancing my revision when i go back to school. I get back from school at around 4.45 and as i have 14 modules to revise for in total im not sure what to do when. I could try splitting it up but i fear i may neglect some subjects especially the easier ones (i got 6AS resits)
Reply 43
Vincente
People revising for over 4/5 hours a day is highly unproductive and inefficient revising! You would most likely not absorb all the information on the process in the long run as a result so try to start earlier and plan out your revision.

Ditto.
Reply 44
I've started revising about 20 mins a day, for A2.
Vincente

I disagree; it really depends on the type of person you are. I can't remember things for months ago, but I'm really good at cramming, and have a good attention span, so revising for about 6 hours a day where possible is much better for me than short bursts.

Fair enough if you're the type of person who learns better by learning in short bursts, but some people aren't.
Reply 46
sunburnt_note
I disagree; it really depends on the type of person you are. I can't remember things for months ago, but I'm really good at cramming, and have a good attention span, so revising for about 6 hours a day where possible is much better for me than short bursts.

Fair enough if you're the type of person who learns better by learning in short bursts, but some people aren't.

i agree with you, i am a type of person who works under pressure and can work for long hours so my revision is around 6-10 hours a day
2/3 hours is nothing..its goes by lyk 2 seconds
I haven't started 'hardcore revision' as yet, I'm waiting until after my French oral exam, but I have been reading through past notes etc. I'm going to start revising properly next Thursday, I'll do a few hours a night and spend all my free time at college studying. It's gonna be grim, but it'll be worth it in the end.
Reply 48

I used to revise for my AS and GCSE through intensive cramming but I too forget the content I studied in the long run and hence I use this model now (planning means making sure you review everything you studied so you can remember the content in say a few months time). This method isin't merely for people who revise in short bursts; its intended for a balancing effect with classes/extra cirriculum/social life.
Vincente
I used to revise for my AS and GCSE through intensive cramming but I too forget the content I studied in the long run and hence I use this model now (planning means making sure you review everything you studied so you can remember the content in say a few months time). This method isin't merely for people who revise in short bursts; its intended for a balancing effect with classes/extra cirriculum/social life.

Well, again, it depends on the type of person you are. Honestly, I remember things I "crammed" months later if I want to - it's just that I like hours on end to really get to grips with things; I might get through a tiny bit of a topic in a short burst, but if I revise the whole topic at once, I'll have a full understanding of the topic and I can move on.

It's not that I don't plan my revision, either - I have a revision timetable, with time off in various places if I want it (e.g. no revision on Friday nights). And I have scheduled time (i.e. 3 days straight) during study leave to review whole courses.

I have a very balanced work/play ethic, and my long hours of revision have no effect on that. Because of how I like to learn, that's just what works for me.
Reply 50
I can't remember things for months ago, but I'm really good at cramming

Honestly, I remember things I "crammed" months later if I want to

Aren't you contradicting yourself there? But then again if it works for you fair enough.
I should have made myself clearer. I can't remember things if I start revising in small chunks months in advance - when it comes to the exam, it doesn't all fit together properly, and I forget things easily. When I cram in long hours, I get a full and comprehensive understanding of the topic, which means I can recall it months later.
Reply 52
sunburnt_note
I should have made myself clearer. I can't remember things if I start revising in small chunks months in advance - when it comes to the exam, it doesn't all fit together properly, and I forget things easily. When I cram in long hours, I get a full and comprehensive understanding of the topic, which means I can recall it months later.

that's like me as well, although i do test the short bursts tachnique.
Reply 53
I have kinda, but at the moment it's more the sorting out notes kinda revision, listing topics which I found harder etc. Preparation is a key part of it! Or perhaps it's disguised procrastination..
Ive started revising lightly for AS maths (core 1 & 2)

However i wont bother to start revising for my A2s until after my maths exams on 15th may which gives me plenty of time as my A2s are spread across June.
ha ha ha kates i think its procrastination is disguise ... it takes many forms
I would be lying if I said I had, though I would be lying if I said I hadn't.

All notes are ready for Economics2 and Biology2 - I need to finish off Chemistry2 and 3 though. :s-smilie:

And I haven't even looked at Philosophy yet, though I'm not worried about that at all...
badger stripes
ha ha ha kates i think its procrastination is disguise ... it takes many forms

The biggest form is in the shape of an internet forum :redface:
Reply 58
6 hours a day..
Starting 12 Hours a day 2moro, hopefully will finish coursework today.

I know people will think i wont absorb everything i learn in them 12 hours, but if i dont i'll feel guilty

Latest