The Student Room Group

Why are there more boys than girls at Oxbridge?

Why on EARTH are there more boys than girls at Oxbridge?

In their latest prospectus (you can find it on the web) it states:

Applicants: Boys Girls
50.6% 49.4%

So the statistics should be the same for the percentage of boys and girls admitted. But no -

Successful applicants: Boys = 53%
Girls = 47%

Why is this, when girls' A-Level results are OVERALL better? If A-levels play a large part (which they should) then we would be seeing about 60% girls and 40% boys at Oxbridge based on academic achievments.

I've been told that it's because the people at the top of Oxbridge are conservative stuffy old men who'd prefer their public school boys to get in. From the stats it seems that girls are discrimiated against.

Some say that perhaps boys are more confident in the interview and therefore get more places than girls. But this is hardly true.

What do people think?

Scroll to see replies

ERM... that's hardly a big difference is it?! There are many universities with large differences in boys to girls. It's just the way these things go. It ebbs and flows too.

I think you're trying to draw inferences when there aren't any.
A difference of 1.2%? Woah.
your argument assumes that oxbridge admissions should accurately reflect the national trends for A level results. before you can complain about stuffy dons, you need to prove that this follows.
Reply 4
nothingspek

Considering there are several thousands of students at both unis, a 1.2% difference is a lot, and it used to be much worse. This trend has been going on for years. Why exactly?
Otter123
Considering there are several thousands of students at both unis, a 1.2% difference is a lot, and it used to be much worse. This trend has been going on for years. Why exactly?

It could be more boys applying, which could be related to a number of factors.

You can't relate the stats to anything. Therefore, they don't mean anything. They're just numbers.

Keele has a ridiculously larger number of girls than boys, why is that? No-one knows... it doesn't matter. It's 59% girls!
Reply 6
Gosh yes, that 6% is just screaming sexual discrimination.:wink2:
Reply 7
That's outrageous women at Oxbridge? Who came up with that! :wink::biggrin: j/k
Reply 8
nothingspek

Actually, no, it's a 6% difference. There are 6% more boys than girls. And there has NEVER been more girls at either uni than boys.
Reply 9
you think thats bad? try searching for the number of successful applicants from a top state college like Greenhead (woo!) and compare them with the number of successful applicants from rar rar schools like Eton. Eton wins, by a lot. Then look at the contrasting number of students that rank in the top 2000 nationally for A level results. Makes for interesting reading...
Otter123

A 1.2% difference is not a lot. It's 1.2%.
Reply 11
That's not surprising the all male colleges are no doubt larger than the all female anyway. And it does have a historical reason, ie not letting women in for centuries. If anything I'm surprised it's that balanced, well done Oxbridge. :smile:

GCraver
you think thats bad? try searching for the number of successful applicants from a top state college like Greenhead (woo!) and compare them with the number of successful applicants from rar rar schools like Eton. Eton wins, by a lot. Then look at the contrasting number of students that rank in the top 2000 nationally for A level results. Makes for interesting reading...

That's not surprising either Eton's standard of education is extremely high and it's not like public school students are poor.

If it works on anything but the merit of the student though I'd be spitting teeth. :smile:
Reply 12
ShinyApple
It could be more boys applying, which could be related to a number of factors.

You can't relate the stats to anything. Therefore, they don't mean anything. They're just numbers.

Look at the stats. Just because you can't understand them doesn't mean they don't mean anything. And there aren't WAY more boys applying - that's why I gave you the stats! Look again.
Reply 13
Girls are more likely to apply for courses with fewer places? Boys tend to opt for subjects with more places on average?
Otter123
Actually, no, it's a 6% difference. There are 6% more boys than girls. And there has NEVER been more girls at either uni than boys.

AND LET'S DAMN WELL KEEP IT THAT WAY!! :fuhrer:
I thought there were more girls than boys at Cambridge this year.
Reply 16
Sidhe
That's not surprising the all male colleges are no doubt larger than the all female anyway. And it does have a historical reason, ie not letting women in for centuries. If anything I'm surprised it's that balanced, well done Oxbridge. :smile:

That's not surprising either Eton's standard of education is extremely high and it's not like public school students are poor.

If it works on anything but the merit of the student though I'd be spitting teeth. :smile:

Yeah, that's another good reason actually. Whilst top girls schools tend to outperform boys schools, there are probably more boys at the top end in total, and certainly more male students at the top end that female students.
WTF? What a retaded thread. Your grasping and straws and drawing inferences without any evidence to create a base from.

This is probably the only time I can post this website in context. http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com/
Otter123
Look at the stats. Just because you can't understand them doesn't mean they don't mean anything. And there aren't WAY more boys applying - that's why I gave you the stats! Look again.

Ha! I clearly understand the stats. Don't be lame and try to incite me by saying that. You're being short sighted and don't like being called on it!

I still say 'so what'. Why does it matter so much? So the boys are performing better at interview or whatever. Do you even get how the UCAS application process works? Especially at Oxford. You've got literally hundreds of admissions tutors at work. They're hardly going to co-ordinate efforts to make sure more boys get in. It's just the way it is. It's hardly a large difference.
Reply 19
While girls on average do better at A level than boys, Oxbridge tend to take the most able all As students. Just because more girls get 3As+ doesn't mean that there necessarily can't be more boys with exceptional results. I've heard it suggested that the spread of male intelligence is greater, i.e. that males are more likely to be either extremely bright or extremely stupid.

Latest

Trending

Trending