The Student Room Group

Well, the entry requirements have gone up for those applying for 2009 entry...

I was looking at the 2009 undergraduate prospectuses for SGUL (St. Georges), QMUL (Queen Mary's), and GKT (Kings) and they've all pushed their grade requirements for those applying in this years cycle for 2009 entry to AAA/b.

As far as I'm aware, UCL is the only one I've seen that has left their entry requirments at AAB.

Fair enough, medicine is a highly competitive and respected course but it is a downer that these changes take place the year I'm applying. I was initially planning on choosing 1 BMAT uni + 3 UKCAT unis choosing UCL as my BMAT choice and also KCL as one of the UKCAT choices but I might as well go for Imperial since AAA seems like it's going to be the standard offer for medical applicants this upcoming year.

These changes have definitely made an impact to my uni choices.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, the grade requirements have gone up.

But, without trying to sound rude, I didn't quite understand the purpose of the topic.
101 Cynicism
Yes, the grade requirements have gone up.

But, without trying to sound rude, I didn't quite understand the purpose of the topic.
Well I raised it up to open thoughts and discussions about it because as a hopeful applicant, I can't casually dismiss it since it's made me skeptical about which unis to choose. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a bit upset about these changes.

I was hoping to apply to those unis which specify AAB offers including Chemistry but not necessarily one of the A's but it looks like I'll need to get that if all the offers are moving up to AAA. :frown:
For people starting their as/a level courses in 2009, new A* grades have beeen introduced, and you needs to get like 90% of mistakes in like all modules, so do you reckon unis are gnna ask for A* A level GRADES and nothing less for meds since the competition is so high esp. for the top uni's?
=O
TBH if you don't think you can get AAA for any uni, let alone the ones that have raised the bar, then maybe the competition for medicine isn't your thing. I've always aimed for AAA even if the requirements were lower because of the sheer competition I should expect. The med schools have to deal with the increase in applicants and this is how.
Future Doc
TBH if you don't think you can get AAA for any uni, let alone the ones that have raised the bar, then maybe the competition for medicine isn't your thing. I've always aimed for AAA even if the requirements were lower because of the sheer competition I should expect. The med schools have to deal with the increase in applicants and this is how.
Yes of course I'm aiming for AAA but I'm not at all confident of achieving it. Over the past couple of years, an offer of AAB was standard for medicine yet applicants still worry about missing their AAB despite getting an offer so I think it's reasonable to have my doubts without being advised that 'medicine isn't my thing' thanks.
hold on so your logic is that AAA is hard so you're swapping the uni that does ask for AAB i.e UCL for one that doesn't i.e imperial :s-smilie:
aminalia89
hold on so your logic is that AAA is hard so you're swapping the uni that does ask for AAB i.e UCL for one that doesn't i.e imperial :s-smilie:
No I'm saying that I might as well apply to both now. Before I found out about these changes I said to myself I'm going to only risk applying to one BMAT uni and UCL was the one I chose on the basis that their offers are AAB, and not Imperial based on theirs being AAA(C). Since some of the UKCAT unis have changed their requirements to AAA, I might as well also go for Imperial and not be put off by their requirements. Bah, it's hard to explain... :redface:
Reply 8
Yeah, I am so screwed because of it too.
Future Doc

a little harsh dont you think.

A genius doesnt necessarily make a good doctor.
!MEna
No I'm saying that I might as well apply to both now. Before I found out about these changes I said to myself I'm going to only risk applying to one BMAT uni and UCL was the one I chose on the basis that their offers are AAB, and not Imperial based on theirs being AAA(C). Since some of the UKCAT unis have changed their requirements to AAA, I might as well also go for Imperial and not be put off by their requirements. Bah, it's hard to explain... :redface:

oh i get it now :smile:
Reply 11
I don't see the higher entry requirements of the London medical schools as a challenge, instead i think it makes the life of those straight A scorers easier. Those that still require AAB will definitely be oversubscribed this year, as many students don't necessarily have predicted grades of AAA. So, if you're a constant AAA scorer, go for those in London as they might receive fewer applications(in my opinion). My reasoning is based on the fact that many medical students gained entry without having AAA, in fact, a significant number of them achieved only AAB in the real exam. That means AAA doesn't automatically guarantee you an offer. People with AAB predicted grades wouldn't really bother to apply to those that require AAA(obviously), therefore applying to those medical schools would mean less competition among the applicants(but all of them will be having AAA).
That's a very true point Adel. I'm waiting to see other prospectuses outside of London and see what's happening with their entry requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if they're raised too though.

I've got my work cut out this month if I want to achieve straight A's at AS. Right now Biology is my is my best subject followed by Maths. I'm closer to an A in Chemistry than I am with Computing but I really can't tell with those two hence being very skeptical about those changes.
Reply 13
Someone on NMM said the Bristol's requirement remains the same for 2009 entry, which is AAB. All the best with your preparation! I heard most of the medical schools outside London are not likely to raise their requirement. I think it'd be better for you to boost up your Chemistry's grade/UMS score as most University emphasise a lot on that subject.
Reply 14
It's a bit of a worry for me now because im confident of getting 2 As in biology and geography at A2 but not chemistry. Although im aiming for AAA ill only be applying to places that ask for AAB and many other people may do this aswell which will of course mean that the competition at those unis will increase. Not being able to decline AS grades has also annoyed me as they implemented it this year. I am resitting biology and geography in yr 13 so even if i get As in june exams it will make a difference to the grade i get for these
Reply 15
Not another thread on how requirements have gone up...

Yes, it's ****, but it's happened...
Reply 16
If exams are getting easier(as newspapers and teachers tell us), then higher required grades shouldn't necessarily be harder to achieve.
Reply 17
Has birmingham always wanted predicted AAA or has that gone up? Fair enough though, as you need 5 A* :p:
no it's been AAB this year i'm pretty sure. if not it certainly was last cycle.
Reply 19
We're both right :smile:

http://www.undergraduate.bham.ac.uk/documents/B2331-UGP09.pdf

Typical offer: AAB
Required subjects and grades:
predicted A level grades should be
AAA
, including Chemistry and another
science (Biology, Physics or
Mathematics); Biology required at AS
level grade B if not offered at A level

I think that's quite good tbh. Like Adel said, maybe this means fewer people will apply there, but if they offer AAB then it still gives room for you to screw up.

Latest