The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York General Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

For home students, it's completely transparent. You never see your course fees at all (which is a bit depressing when you know that £3000+ has just disappeared). As for accomodation, you have to take/send money to the finance office every term (think it's the first couple of weeks, then you get a £20 late charge). I think you can set the accommodation up to be paid by direct debit though, or cheque/bank transfer/card.
University of York
York
Reply 181
slugonamission
For home students, it's completely transparent. You never see your course fees at all (which is a bit depressing when you know that £3000+ has just disappeared).

I'm not a home student though, I'm EU. :frown:

As for accomodation, you have to take/send money to the finance office every term (think it's the first couple of weeks, then you get a £20 late charge). I think you can set the accommodation up to be paid by direct debit though, or cheque/bank transfer/card.

Oh, so you don't pay it all at once? That's very good to know, thanks!
Ah, I had a feeling you were. In that case, I think the procedure is pretty much the same as for accomodation. You should get told about it in all your welcome pack etc anyway :smile:
Reply 183
Dear All...

...parents at home are panicking they're not heard anything from York re accom. I've told them not to worry till after A Level results in mid August (I'm a gapper on an unconditional), but am I correct in reassuring them thus?

Cheers.

Tx
Reply 184
TrishS: York send out accommodation forms in your welcome pack, which should arrive on results day.

(edit: just saw you're a gapper, so I think you might get yours a few weeks before? But don't worry unless you don't get anything after A-level results day. Accommodation isn't allocated until 2/3 weeks before term starts)
Reply 185
Great, super, thanks.

They can start worrying about something else to try and get me back in the country now :wink:

Tx
Reply 186
Enrollment for the undergrads has begun http://www.york.ac.uk/newstudent/newundergraduate.htm

Wonder when the postgrads have to enroll?
Reply 187
Well SITS flashes up this when you try to enroll:

The deadline for completing the enrolment process on-line is Friday 17th October 2008

So I guess sometime before then :smile:
Reply 188
aksd
Enrollment for the undergrads has begun http://www.york.ac.uk/newstudent/newundergraduate.htm

Wonder when the postgrads have to enroll?

Aha, I'm guessing this means you're also a postgrad heading there this year. Have you heard anything at all from York, because I haven't and it's making me rather nervous?
Reply 189
@Ygraine

I was getting nervous as well :biggrin: I mailed the graduate office regarding the postgrad enrollment and astonishingly I recieved a reply within half an hour. The post grad user id's and passwords will be mailed to us after August 6th and the enrollment packs will be posted(to an address of our choice) at a later date after enrollment. Worst situation you can enroll once uni begins. Wait till the coming week if you dont hear from them give them a call or a mail asking about your enrollment user id and password.

Accomodation will be alloted only late August, maybe earlier for home students not too sure about this.

I have been contacted by the Computer Science department asking if I will confirm my offer(this was after I accepted my offer with the graduate office), I'm sure this varies from department to department.

Regards,

Akshay
Reply 190
Ah brilliant, thanks so much. I didn't want to contact them in case it was completely normal to wait so long and I looked neurotic. I feel reassured now though :smile:

I would say see you there, but as you're doing computing I somehow think that's unlikely, hehe
Reply 191
I'm allowed to be neurotic :wink:, being an overseas student and all :biggrin:.
Reply 192
Great, I just got my welcome pack. Been waiting for ages.

One question though, why do they want you to write your name and student number on the back of the photograph, when they're both already on the form (university card application form)?
Reply 193
Presumably because if it falls off and gets lost they'll know who to match it up with?
Reply 194
laser
Presumably because if it falls off and gets lost they'll know who to match it up with?

Yes, I realised that just after I'd posted. Made me feel a bit like an idiot, but meh.
Reply 195
Balth
Yes, I realised that just after I'd posted. Made me feel a bit like an idiot, but meh.

We've all done that!
Reply 196
laser
We've all done that!

Indeed.

Anyway, now I've completed all forms, registered for a computing account, and enrolled. Bring on October!

Now I'm off to read the small ads.
Reply 197
My welcome pack is on the way, finally. One question, what is a financial guarantee for undergraduate students? They mention it in the handbook for international students.
Reply 198
Has anyone else been geeky now they've got their computer account and changed their facebook network? York '11, oh yes...
Tx
I'm pretty sure I did last year :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest