The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York General Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
slugonamission
Dunno, I do CS :p:

I know a few English students though, so I'll try and remember to ask later on tonight.

Aww, only if it isn't any trouble! Thanks.
University of York
York
English has very few contact hours, about 4-8 a week I believe. However, they have to read a book a week, and in the 3rd year you do literature in a foreign language, so it's best to do an extra course in your chosen language
Reply 82
Thanks KT :smile:. Do you have to take literature in a foreign language if you aren't taking straight English? They gave me an offer even though I more or less failed French at GCSE. Should I attempt to teach myself a language?

It says here that the term starts on the 13th of October; does anyone know if this is when fresher's week will start or are we expected to go a week before this date? Sorry if the answer is obvious :redface:.
That's when you're expected to be here by :wink:

You should get something later telling you everything you need to know, but you should move in either the Saturday or Sunday before that day, depending on which college you are in (basically so new students don't bring York to a complete standstill, along with traffic management meaning that you will probably come into the uni in a bit of a weird way to what you would normally do).

Freshers week should start on the 13th then :smile:
Reply 84
slugonamission
That's when you're expected to be here by :wink:

You should get something later telling you everything you need to know, but you should move in either the Saturday or Sunday before that day, depending on which college you are in (basically so new students don't bring York to a complete standstill, along with traffic management meaning that you will probably come into the uni in a bit of a weird way to what you would normally do).

Freshers week should start on the 13th then :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Just one more question (although I will probably pester you Yorkers again :redface:):

I found something called the Hardship fund on the York University website. Can you apply for this before you start university or is the fund for students who are already at university and experiencing financial hardship?
I'm not sure, where are the details of it?
Reply 86
http://www.york.ac.uk/studentmoney/help/home_funds.shtml

I have emailed the uni but I was just wondering.
From what I can see, you need to be a registered student first, but I'm not too sure. It's probably best waiting for the uni to get back to you :smile:
Laus
Thanks KT :smile:. Do you have to take literature in a foreign language if you aren't taking straight English? They gave me an offer even though I more or less failed French at GCSE. Should I attempt to teach myself a language?

It says here that the term starts on the 13th of October; does anyone know if this is when fresher's week will start or are we expected to go a week before this date? Sorry if the answer is obvious :redface:.

well you can start at any level, from beginner up to 'have done an A Level in this language' so I doubt you would need to teach it to yourself! As for joint honours, I don't know what modules you do, it may be you don't do the foreign lit module at all!
Reply 89
how learning foreign language at York works ?
do you get any assistance or only an access to the learning resources ?
Reply 90
There are courses that are 2 hours a week you can take called "Languages for All" - more info: http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/ltc/lfa/
Reply 91
:hare:
Reply 92
Laus
:hare:

Yes?
Reply 93
Ravster
Yes?

Just thought this thread was a bit dead.

What's the news on York?
Reply 94
Just watched Have I Got News For York, was actually pretty damn funny :biggrin:

http://ystv.york.ac.uk/watch/vids.php?cat=42
Argh, I wish YSTV would get a decent sound mix from time to time :frown:

As for York, we now have a giant blue crane and the Goodricke <-> Vanburgh bridge is now re-open, albeit covered in scaffolding and still roofless...

We also have ducklings and signets :biggrin:
Aah I just watched that Have I got news for York and it made me wanna go there even more than I already do! Lets hope I make my offer, but an A in history is looking less and less likely :frown:
Reply 97
~*kim*~
Aah I just watched that Have I got news for York and it made me wanna go there even more than I already do! Lets hope I make my offer, but an A in history is looking less and less likely :frown:

All the best! You might just get it :smile:.

I know how hard History A level is so I can sympathise with you.

Laus
~*kim*~

:frown:. I'm sure you will be fine though :smile:. All the best and see you in October hopefully :smile:
Reply 99
anyone here in, or planning to join, the Sub-Aqua soc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending