The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York General Chat Thread

I think we need a chat thread for prospective and current students. Durham has one so why can't we?!

What do you think? We will get to know each other before we even get there! :smile:

Laus

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good idea... I, err, have nothing more to say...
University of York
York
Reply 2
Let me think... um, would you like to join any societies?

Hopefully someone else will think of some good, 'getting to know you', questions!
Reply 3
What course are you on? Where do you live? Where are you from?

...oh, sorry, got a bit carried away there. Thought it was freshers week already!

:biggrin:
I REALLY want to get into a band at York! I haven't been in one since school :frown:
Reply 5
Laus
Let me think... um, would you like to join any societies?

Hopefully someone else will think of some good, 'getting to know you', questions!

On similar threads are questions about:
first name
course
fav.music/film/drink/book etc.
interest
you could add some York-specific questions like
why do you love/hate ducks?
why do you wear women's underwear ? ( but it's a crap question, since for girls an answer is kind of obvious :smile: )
Reply 6
Good idea!

First name: Laura.

Course: English Literature and Philosophy.

Fave music: Anything that sounds good to the ears! I like a bit of everything.

Fave film: Ratatouille made me smile. I love thrillers, chick flicks :redface:, comedies and films that really make you think. The only thing I'm not too keen on is horror.

Fave drink: Tea, hot chocolate, red wine, Guinness, diet redbull. Whatever I feel like, really.

Fave food: I'm a vegetarian so all things veggie e.g. ricotta, lasagne (microwave ones, atm :redface:), Quorn, chilli, curry, fish. OK so I eat fish... it isn't an ethical thing (for me anyway), I just don't like meat. Chocolate, obviously.

Fave book: Oh my, this is a hard one. I enjoy most of the books I read but I can't pick one on the spot! Sorry, I'm useless! I am a book:worm: :smile:.

Age: 20 ... *wonders whether this will be a problem*. I'm sure age doesn't matter too much.

School you went to - state, private or boarding: State.

York-specific questions

Why do you love/hate ducks?

I like ducks because they quack and waddle. I think male ducks are beautiful. I have never understood why female ducks are brown... I don't know anyone who doesn't like ducklings. Feeding ducks is a good pastime/revision break.

Why do you wear women's underwear?

How is this question related to York?!

I wear women's underwear because a) I am a women and b) because it's hygienic and normal! I think, "What type of underwear do you wear", is more specific. I guess people can answer this question if they want to get up close and personal.

Feel free to add to it! :smile:

I keep adding to my list of favey things! :redface: It's hard to think of everything in one go!
Reply 7
I have just noticed, you are all men! #excited# :p:

Come on gals! :smile:
Reply 8
First name: Chris

Course: Computer Science (Sandwich)

Fave music: Most of everything, especially indie, pop, cheese and dance. Not really R 'n' B though.

Fave film: Indie comedies and action films, like the Bourne Supremacy, Little Miss Sunshine, etc.

Fave drink: Cola. Sometimes with vodka. And Blue Lagoons. Mmm.

Fave food: Chinese, or fish and chips.

Fave book: Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy, or His Dark Materials or something.

School you went to - state, private or boarding: Private until year 11, then state sixth form.

York-specific questions

I like ducks because it's pretty much impossible to hate them. Plus they remind me of York. The building I work in here has a moat, but no ducks :frown:

I like the way it makes me feel... Only kidding, I'm more of a boxer shorts person :P

would you like to join any societies?

I'm planning on joining Dancesoc upon my return to York. I was technically a member of Opera Soc because I was bullied into it last year, but I kind of didn't really do the societies thing for the first 2 years. Wish I did though, being on the JCRC wasn't that much fun.

Yeah... I'm too lazy to colourise my answers
Reply 9
I need to look into the society thing. I wouldn't mind trying hockey and wall climbing… I will see if I can find a list of societies. No doubt, we will all end up joining something we never thought we would. Do you think there will be a shy person's society? :redface:

Dance and Opera Soc? Wow, you are a man of many talents! I wish I could dance/sing!
Reply 10
List of societies:

http://www.yusu.org/activities/a-z.html

Hmm, had a quick look, I'll be joining two on there.
Reply 11
lol, I can't sing. My friends were the people who ran it though and they tried to get me involved to do backstagey stuff. I actually didn't end up doing anything though...
Reply 12
Ravster
List of societies:

http://www.yusu.org/activities/a-z.html

Hmm, had a quick look, I'll be joining two on there.

That hasn't been updated, it seems. Check http://www.theyorker.co.uk/directory/ for a more extensive list.
Here goes...

First name: Jamie

Course: Computer Systems and Software Engineering (4 years) - currently in my 1st year

Fave music: Anything really :smile:, although mostly alternative, rock and metal :smile:

Fave film: Ooo...tough one...I just most films though, but not horror...

Fave drink: Heh, normally coke or hot chocolate, cider, Guinness, rum, vokda, ok...I'll stop now :p:

Fave food: Anything easy to cook, curry, pizza or pasta really

Fave book: I don't read enough to have a favourite :p:

School you went to - state, private or boarding: State

York-specific questions

Why do you love/hate ducks? Because, like...yeah...they're ducks :p:

Why do you wear women's underwear? *checks* nope - definitely men's :p:

As for societies, I'm on the committee for Fragsoc, and a member of the karting club :smile:. I'm also a member of Devsoc, which don't seem to do much, until they get a grant from MS, and then go and get pissed :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Yoooooooo!

First name: Danny!

Course: English and Related Literature

Fave music: Drum n' Bass & Jungle, especially the dark, hard hittin' stuff! RAAARGH! I also love Hip Hop, Rock, Metal, Dubstep, Reggae, Jazz, Classical, I'll listen to anything really. Most commercial music makes me sick, though. I love nasty tunes that go thump! bang! wallop!

Fave film: Favourites include Human Traffic, Oldboy, Eraserhead, Requiem for a Dream, The Doors, Kill Bill, LOTR trilogy, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Garden State, I Love Huckabees, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, Star Wars, The Wall, Life of Brian and looooads more.

Fave drink: Lager, Guinness, Bitter, Ale and Wine. Anything that gets me roooowdy and ill!!! Plus tea and pure juice / smoothies, etc.

Fave food: I love food! Especially authentic Chinese food, Thai, Indian, Malaysian and Japanese. Anything really spicy that's rife with chilli's! I also love seafood and meat, Italian, and anything that tastes good, really. I'll try absolutely anything.

Fave book: Too difficult a question to consider.

School: State.

Why do you love / hate ducks?

I love 'em because they taste spectacular!

Well, I don't, but I have. It was fun at the time, I was drunk. Interesting.
Reply 15
First name: Adam

Course: Economics and Philosophy

Fave music: in particular, I love indie rock ( fave bands: Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, Final Fantasy, Muse ), ambient ( Teamsleep ) and the good-old rock ( Queen, Journey, Guns´n´Roses... ) but I listen almost everything ( excluding Hip-hop, Rap, Techno :s-smilie: )

Fave film: Waking life, The Fountain, Donnie Darko, V for Vendetta, Vanilla Sky, A Love Song for Bobby Long, Sin City, King of the Hill
these are the most favourite, but I do like many many more movies and all kinds of movies, even some of the old black and white ones, like Sunset Boulevard

Fave drink: Gin and tonic, Malibu ( yeah I know it's women's drink, but it's so tasty :cool: ), Redbull/Burn + Vodka, Vodka, Vodka with Vodka ( aka. "Headshot" :biggrin: ), Pilsner Urquell... and I drink noncarbonated mineral water everyday

Fave food: everything that's tasty is ok for me

Fave book: The Alchemist by Coelho, The Book of Blood II by Barker and The Shawshank Redemption by King

it seems we're all old geezers :wink:

School: state

Why do you love / hate ducks?

I love them, my grandpa breeded ducks long time ago so I used to play with those little, cute duckies

What a silly question ? everyone in York wears women's underwear so I will need to wear as well :biggrin:

Would you like to join any societies?

wow! there's soooo many of them, I think I'll join to:
Economics Society, Indie Soc, Amnesty International, Philosophy Society, Dance Society and hopefuly The University Gliding Club
First name: Melanie.

Course: English Literature

Fave music: Loads of things. As long as I like it, I listen to it. Also depends on my mood, the season and the time of the day.

Fave film: Anything that is depressing and artsy

Fave drink: Tea, mineral water, white wine, Bailey's, hot chocolate, mocha, red bull, red bull & vodka, champagne

Fave food: Fruits, ice-cream, dark chocolate, sushi

Fave book: That's a very hard question. I prefer not to answer it.

School you went to - private

York-specific questions

Ducks are cute. 'Nuff said.

Because I am boring. :frown: I don't have the gut not to wear any. :frown:
there used to be a general chat thread on here a couple of years ago but it died...
First name: Will

Course: Economics

Fave music: God knows. Recently I've been listening to a lot of Johnny Cash, Kraftwerk, and Soft Cell.

Fave film: mmm Probabley Pulp Fiction, Maybe O brother Where Art Though.

Fave drink: Tea probabley, Alcohol wise its Mojitos

Fave food: I lvoe lots of food. Probabley eat too much Cheese. Love eating out.

Fave book: mmm Dune. Maybe V for vendatta if we include comics, Maybe catch 22 .

School you went to - state

York-specific questions

Their quite tasty .

the secret thrill.

Would you like to join any societies?
Yes. I'm thinking the Economics one, THe Labour Party one, and the Radio Station.
Reply 19
Well, we will make sure this one doesn't die. Perhaps a mod could sticky it?

Quick Reply

Latest