The Student Room Group

Unite student accommodation

Scroll to see replies

I have my room at park view already! It's meant to be nice there!
Reply 61
Was just wondering if anyone has actually stopped paying their rent to Unite?

I'm really disappointed with the accommodation I've got as it's got no heating and it's infested. I tried cancelling the contract but they say I can't until I find someone else to move in! I've moved back home now and I don't want to pay them any extra money but just worried about going to court.

If anyone's been through the same would be happy for some advice. Thanks:smile:
Original post by ColdDish
Hey Biss, If you're not happy, move out. For all concerned you are perfectly entitled to move out and break the contract as they have already broken the contract usually due to disrepair, lying about contract terms, whats stated and whats actually offered etc. Don't be put off by their threats of "we'll sue you" or "you have to find someone else". If you check your contract there are lots of unfair terms and as such you have rights. Contact your university housing unit or citizens advice and get advice. Unite are scared and they are losing business. They rely on students not knowing the law to take them for a ride.

The free ride is over unite. Students have had enough of unite's crap.

Your post encouraged me greatly, I was just wondering if anyone has actually stopped paying their rent to Unite? I want to move out straight but just worried about going to court.
Original post by kj92
Was just wondering if anyone has actually stopped paying their rent to Unite?

I'm really disappointed with the accommodation I've got as it's got no heating and it's infested. I tried cancelling the contract but they say I can't until I find someone else to move in! I've moved back home now and I don't want to pay them any extra money but just worried about going to court.

If anyone's been through the same would be happy for some advice. Thanks:smile:

I simply want to move out and live with my friends, but was stuck by the contract.:s-smilie:
Original post by ReneeMichyan
I simply want to move out and live with my friends, but was stuck by the contract.:s-smilie:

SAME here!
Reply 65
Original post by christineluxinxin
SAME here!

Same here, haven't had hot water for over 2 weeks nows :frown:
Reply 66

Move out people. I did. They are just lying to you. They have an obligation to fix everything in a certain timeframe (4 days normally), If they dont move out. You dont have to find a replacement tenants. Its all a giant pack of lies and unfair under the OFT.

Document everything.
COMPLAIN
Moveout

They are relying on your lack of knowledge to scare you.

Housing Act 1988

Read it

Unfair contract terms.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/unfair-terms/guidance
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
---
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Youre lucky, i ha a solicitor involved, went to citizens advice and fought with the company that is above unite, and even though they had blatently disregarded their side of the tenancy agreement they still won and they took the entire years worth of rent (£4601) for me living there 3 months. AND then they tried to charge me my deposit toom, after yet another argument i got that back entirely.

No rent back though
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 69
Really wish I'd seen all this before september. I'm basically the same, I'm living in capital gate in liverpool. The place is a disgrace, the laundry room has flooded over the holidays with no sign of it getting fixed. I want to know if there is any way out of the contract. I have a placement outside Liverpool in March so the room will just be left empty & I don't want them getting my money after being such a disgrace to live in.
Any help?
Reply 70
I've not had any problems with Grand Central. My light broke, it was fixed in 2 days.
We've no mice in our flat, but I have been told the building is infested! Especially the 5th floor in our block.

My flatmate has had a problem with repairs and basically being fobbed off over the whole thing. Took weeks for her shower to be repaired, even though the water was leaking into her room and mould has developed under the bed (they keep saying they will send a carpet cleaner to our flat for her, but it hasn't happened yet)
We all still want to rebook for next year though (mostly due to location)
okay, so my rent is due out to UNITE in a couple of weeks. i'm planning on moving out next week.

if i don't pay this next installment, are they REALLY going to bring the bailiffs in, try and get it of the guarantor & all that malarkey?
Reply 72
it is very safe though :smile:
a perfect transitional step for an 18/19 year old moving out for the first time

not to mention halls are superfun!!!!!
I hate Unite. I lived in one of their halls in Portsmouth and it was dreadful. Apparently the hot water wouldn't work when it was too windy because "the boilers are on the roof and when it's too windy they get the connection knocked out". WHAT?
They tried to leave people in the lift for over four hours when it got stuck at one point, too. They had to call the fire service instead, because their engineers were refusing to come out. Screw that for a laugh! Also, £103 a week for a crappy room with no heating, no sound proofing against all the clubs right on the doorstep, and trying to give me a £90 fine for a broken toilet seat... That wasn't broken?! ARGH, go private any day!
Reply 74
Hello to all,

I too have had a terrible experience with one of their accommodations.

Can I just draw your attention to the website below that is dedicated to uniting students who have suffered. It is a very good website set up by a student who has experienced it first hand.

http://uniteaccommodation.co.uk

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 75
Hi! Do any of you guys know how their halls are in Edinburgh? Planning on viewing one of unite's flats tomorrow, but I am not sure if I want to live there anymore :P Thanks!
Reply 76
Original post by psychocustard
I hate Unite. I lived in one of their halls in Portsmouth and it was dreadful. Apparently the hot water wouldn't work when it was too windy because "the boilers are on the roof and when it's too windy they get the connection knocked out". WHAT?
They tried to leave people in the lift for over four hours when it got stuck at one point, too. They had to call the fire service instead, because their engineers were refusing to come out. Screw that for a laugh! Also, £103 a week for a crappy room with no heating, no sound proofing against all the clubs right on the doorstep, and trying to give me a £90 fine for a broken toilet seat... That wasn't broken?! ARGH, go private any day!

Portsmouth has UNITE halls? :s-smilie:
Original post by Samz
Portsmouth has UNITE halls? :s-smilie:

It was built and managed by Unite, but I think the uni had control over it, ie you booked through them etc. It was at least their furniture and stickers everywhere, and them who refused to come out for the lift breaking down.
Reply 78
i live in unite accommodation in london. i am just so bored. wtf...
i have money. i am stuck in my room!!!
Reply 79
so boring. i feel like dead already!!! the room is small too. outside is ghetto!!! bored out of my mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending