The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apu is best i shed kno im there noew
Vitriol01
Keele gets 5*. How much Keele graduates do you know at A&O?

I think I've made my point. :wink: :tongue:

You keep mentioning Keele... :rolleyes:
Delight
Yea, somewhere in the top 20

Hardly,

Its 6th in the UK. At least according to a partner at Herbert Smith - otherwise, by The Times, its 8th.

Its tightened things up recently, I doubt if you would get in with less than AAA. About time.

--
Juris
mobb_theprequel
Have you any words of advice, in regards to making a success out of an LLB course, right from the word go?

Exams are a ridiculous way of measuring legal ability so my advice is do as much coursework as you can. Some people, myself included, while getting high firsts in coursework, struggle somewhat in exams. I console myself by thinking that as I want to be a barrister, its the quality of my briefs and my arguments that will matter more than my (somewhat limited) memory skills.

--
Juris
Profesh
Oxbridge are perceived as inhabiting a "class of their own", in terms of the workload and level of dedication required by the course; merely to have survived three years of intensive legal study at Cambridge (even to have left with only a 2:1) would be held in higher esteem than to have achieved a First virtually anywhere else. However, this is an outmoded consideration, given as the standard of your degree is generally perceived as reflecting your knowledge and comprehension of the Law; ultimately - like an 'A' at AS - where a First indicates a score in your Final exams which could theoretically be infinitely high, the distinction becomes quite marked between this and the ceiling imposed by a 2:1 (of approx. 70%). It's perhaps unjust that Oxbridge candidates should be favoured in this way, but it is nonetheless the prerogative of the employer.

Where is the actual evidence for the idea that Oxbridge people work harder than others? Is doing 24 weeks a year instead of 30 ( like most other universities) evidence of working harder, for instance? I appreciate that there is a proper level of scepticism in your post, but has anybody ever produced any real research into the comparative workload at different universities,and would it be possible to quantify it adequately anyway?
Reply 65
W.A.S Hewins
Where is the actual evidence for the idea that Oxbridge people work harder than others? Is doing 24 weeks a year instead of 30 ( like most other universities) evidence of working harder, for instance? I appreciate that there is a proper level of scepticism in your post, but has anybody ever produced any real research into the comparative workload at different universities,and would it be possible to quantify it adequately anyway?

Good point. Many people think that with all the essay writing and extra work they have to do compared to everywhere else, it is harder to achieve the same standard at Oxbridge. I think this is untrue. Any extra work they have to do merely results in it becoming more likely that they'll meet a certain threshold standard. Indeed, this would explain the high number of firsts in Oxbridge compared to everywhere else.

On a tangent, I have a friend at Oxbridge who, despite having to write more essays to write than I do, doesn't seem to have to work any harder, in terms of hours per week. Perhaps his education is of a better quality and a student there will be more likely to achieve a high standard, but I don't think an Oxbridge degree is harder to achieve than at other places. After all, law schools all mark one another's exams, suggesting that standards are the same across the board.
Reply 66
muncrun
Good point. Many people think that with all the essay writing and extra work they have to do compared to everywhere else, it is harder to achieve the same standard at Oxbridge. I think this is untrue. Any extra work they have to do merely results in it becoming more likely that they'll meet a certain threshold standard. Indeed, this would explain the high number of firsts in Oxbridge compared to everywhere else.

On a tangent, I have a friend at Oxbridge who, despite having to write more essays to write than I do, doesn't seem to have to work any harder, in terms of hours per week. Perhaps his education is of a better quality and a student there will be more likely to achieve a high standard, but I don't think an Oxbridge degree is harder to achieve than at other places. After all, law schools all mark one another's exams, suggesting that standards are the same across the board.

Doesnt really work that way necessarily. At Oxford about 15% of undergrads get a 1st, at KCL it was more like 2-3%.
Reply 67
muncrun

The total workload is the same, but the scheduling is more intensive; hence the shorter semesters. I always presumed this to be a widely acknowledged fact.
Profesh
The total workload is the same, but the scheduling is more intensive; hence the shorter semesters. I always presumed this to be a widely acknowledged fact.

And you know this for a fact do you? This is considering that you are a school student. I think someones voicing his opinion as fact yet again .......:rolleyes:
Reply 69
Lady Els Rulezz
And you know this for a fact do you? This is considering that you are a school student. I think someones voicing his opinion as fact yet again .......:rolleyes:

I was informed by a Cambridge tutor, on the Cambridge open day, that this was the rationale behind the eight-week semester. Prove me wrong.
Reply 70
Profesh
I was informed by a Cambridge tutor, on the Cambridge open day, that this was the rationale behind the eight-week semester. Prove me wrong.

I think it is normal behaviour to prove yourself right first.
Reply 71
kingslaw
I think it is normal behaviour to prove yourself right first.

I just did. Shorter semesters = more work-oriented schedule. The assumption is that you will be able to cope by virtue of having made it into Oxbridge.
Concrete proof? Beyond all reasonable doubt or a balance of probabilities?

Anyway no such thing as fact, only opinions (philosophy).
Reply 73
To accept anything as fact, certain premises must be taken for granted. I take for granted the premise that Oxbridge undergraduates are required to digest the same quantity of data within a narrower time frame. Ergo, the workload is, technically, more demanding, and the schedule, more intensive. Of course, whether or not they work harder, per sé, is a different matter entirely. Perhaps they don't need to.
Reply 74
Profesh
To accept anything as fact, certain premises must be taken for granted. I take for granted the premise that Oxbridge undergraduates are required to digest the same quantity of data within a narrower time frame. Ergo, the workload is, technically, more demanding, and the schedule, more intensive. Of course, whether or not they work harder, per sé, is a different matter entirely. Perhaps they don't need to.

What you seem to forget is that most law students work through the holidays at a level just as intense as they do during term time. Its really quite irrelevant whether the topics covered are done in 8 weeks, or 10; in the end students have to cover the same amount of work... whether they do so during "official" term periods, or not fails to effect the amount of work they have to do overall.
So why do Oxbridge feel the need to have shorter terms than everyone else?

Lady Els: it is ironic that the qualities you claim Profesh is deficient in, you show yourself to be equally deficient in.
Reply 76
Lawzzzzzz
What you seem to forget is that most law students work through the holidays at a level just as intense as they do during term time. Its really quite irrelevant whether the topics covered are done in 8 weeks, or 10; in the end students have to cover the same amount of work... whether they do so during "official" term periods, or not fails to effect the amount of work they have to do overall.

Ah, well. In that case, I'll defer to your superior knowledge.

Although, assuming you're right, I too would be interested in knowing why an eight-week term is deemed more appropriate than the usual ten.
Reply 77
Lawzzzzzz

I fully agree. What most people also seem to forget, is that at Oxford and Cambridge, the students have THREE 8-week terms, whereas some other universities (e.g. all the London colleges) have only TWO 10-week terms. Eg. UCL, King's College and QMUL have 12 weeks in first term (minus one week each for beginning of term and Reading Week) and 11 weeks in second term (again minus one week for Reading Week). The third term is reserved exclusively for exams and nothing else. So in total, the London students face 20 teaching weeks in one academic year. At Oxford and Cambridge, teaching is done throughout the first two terms AND halfway through the third term, reaching a total of about 20 weeks also (8+8+4).

I think the main point about Oxbridge undergraduates having to work harder during term time is the supervisions and essays. At Oxford and Cambridge, the students have small group supervisions (i.e. one tutor to 1-4 students) every week. Trust me - when you have a tutor talking to you and maybe one other person for the whole hour, there really is no chance of getting away without doing the reading. Essays are also set every week, so this further compels students to keep up the reading.

There is probably not much difference in the actual content and substance of the syllabus at Oxbridge as compared to some of the top universities.
lawgrad
I fully agree. What most people also seem to forget, is that at Oxford and Cambridge, the students have THREE 8-week terms, whereas some other universities (e.g. all the London colleges) have only TWO 10-week terms. Eg. UCL, King's College and QMUL have 12 weeks in first term (minus one week each for beginning of term and Reading Week) and 11 weeks in second term (again minus one week for Reading Week). The third term is reserved exclusively for exams and nothing else. So in total, the London students face 20 teaching weeks in one academic year. At Oxford and Cambridge, teaching is done throughout the first two terms AND halfway through the third term, reaching a total of about 20 weeks also (8+8+4).

I think the main point about Oxbridge undergraduates having to work harder during term time is the supervisions and essays. At Oxford and Cambridge, the students have small group supervisions (i.e. one tutor to 1-4 students) every week. Trust me - when you have a tutor talking to you and maybe one other person for the whole hour, there really is no chance of getting away without doing the reading. Essays are also set every week, so this further compels students to keep up the reading.

There is probably not much difference in the actual content and substance of the syllabus at Oxbridge as compared to some of the top universities.

There are essays and 'essays'. At some Oxbridge colleges, and with some Oxbridge tutors, the word 'essay' was interpreted very loosely so that the students don't actually have to write an essay every week: they 'read' a paper to the tutor who sits there are listens and comments: that's a very different thing from actually writing and finishing a proper 2000 word essay every week, complete with references, footnotes and library time...I came across an article complaining about this practice at Cambridge as well, but can't seem to relocate it. And think about the workload for the dons, marking one essay from each student each week: by the time the students got their feedback for one piece they would have already generated another 2-3 'essays'. Where would they find the time for their research if they spent all their time marking essays that students knocked up in a few days? So I'd treat the 'essay a week' claims with caution - preparing a paper to present at a tutorial is not the same thing....

I suspect that the 8 week terms are really a perk for the tutors, who thereby have to spend far less time teaching.

As for the proportion of first class degrees, which somebody mentioned: this is a very contentious issue, as each university awards its own, with minimal attempts to ensure parity across the system, and there is currently grave concern, both within Cambridge and outside, that it now dishes out firsts to about one student in three. Grade inflation is always a bad thing: there's widespread talk about scrapping the grading system entirelly..
The latest Times tables indicate that Manchester is better for law than Bristol :smile: :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending