The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Is Manchester a good place for me to read Law? Especially if I want to work in one of those big international firms? I'm not very hopeful about getting a place in Cambridge, Durham or Nottingham... Since I've already got unconditionals for both Manchester and Queen Mary, and hoping for an offer from SOAS, I need some advice on which one of the three I should choose, if I want a better shot at landing a job at a big City firm...
Reply 81
Fa|ique
Is Manchester a good place for me to read Law? Especially if I want to work in one of those big international firms? I'm not very hopeful about getting a place in Cambridge, Durham or Nottingham... Since I've already got unconditionals for both Manchester and Queen Mary, and hoping for an offer from SOAS, I need some advice on which one of the three I should choose, if I want a better shot at landing a job at a big City firm...

If you want a MC firm or big city firm then Manchester is certianly preferable over QM and SOAS.

However, Durham and Nottingham would be preferable to Manchester, and of course, Cambridge preferable to all.
Reply 82
Sigh, I know... My sister did her master's degree in English and Applied Linguistics at Queen's College, Cambridge, and I really wanted to follow in her footsteps... But I doubt I stand any chance whatsoever to get in. I can only hope and pray that Durham or Nottingham make me an offer... :frown:
Reply 83
Fa|ique
Sigh, I know... My sister did her master's degree in English and Applied Linguistics at Queen's College, Cambridge, and I really wanted to follow in her footsteps... But I doubt I stand any chance whatsoever to get in. I can only hope and pray that Durham or Nottingham make me an offer... :frown:

Well dont get me wrong - there are PLENTY of people in MC firms from Manchester ... it all depends on what grades you get when you are there ...

However the AAC at A level will hinder you a bit - as most firms have a cut off of AAB - However, you can make this up if you work hard enough...

If you can get a first from Manchester then you will be in pretty good shape - but try add some extra-curricular stuff too ...
Reply 84
Okay. Thank you so much for your advice. :smile:
Lawzzzzzz
Doesnt really work that way necessarily. At Oxford about 15% of undergrads get a 1st, at KCL it was more like 2-3%.

One of the scandals in universities at the moment is the outrageously inconsistent approach to grading, and the resultant grade inflation. Cambridge is now, frankly, taking the piss by giving firsts to around 30% of those who manage to survive the allegedly intensive 24 weeks of study per year (oh the strain of it all, poor dears..). Oxford is some way behind, but still over the top...There is no real attempt at standardisation...just a ramshackle external examiner system (you get one of your mates in another university to pop over to your department once a term as external examiner, to rubber stamp some sample essays and occasionally make some token criticisms..one day he'll need you to return the favour..)

Hence the current concern about the whole thing in the media: some universities are dishing out firsts and 2.1s as if they think the world is about to be obliterated by a meteorite, while those who actually retain some standards in these things are penalised in league tables and their students lose out in the race for scholarships and fancy jobs..
Reply 86
london_bum
I remember talking to some recruitment people a while ago from some city firms...they told me it really doesn't matter which highly rated university your degree is from (be it Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, KCL etc.)...the most important factor is to have a first.

They didn't say this, but I have a sneaky feeling that if absolutely everyone had firsts, they'd probably pick the Oxbridge grads.

I have spoken to a couple of barristers recently and they told me that while they would probably favour someone with a First from Oxford or Cambridge over somebody from say Warwick or Bristol they would not favour somebody with say a low 2:1 from Oxford over somebody with a high 2:1 from Warwick or Bristol
Reply 87
Lawzzzzzz
Doesnt really work that way necessarily. At Oxford about 15% of undergrads get a 1st, at KCL it was more like 2-3%.

It seems amazing that at the same time as people are saying the standards in A levels are dropping because more people get A grades that we hold Oxford and Cambridge up as shining examples of educational achievement because they get more Firsts than other Unis.

Who actually decides that all these Oxford students have achieved higher grades than everybody else -- Oxford dons that's who.

Could it be in their interests to perpetuate the myth that Oxford is better than all the others ??

Just a bit of devil's advocacy ---- OR IS IT ??
Inns Veep
I have spoken to a couple of barristers recently and they told me that while they would probably favour someone with a First from Oxford or Cambridge over somebody from say Warwick or Bristol they would not favour somebody with say a low 2:1 from Oxford over somebody with a high 2:1 from Warwick or Bristol

Good to hear.
Inns Veep
Could it be in their interests to perpetuate the myth that Oxford is better than all the others ??

I think you could be right there. I think the myth of Oxbridge being head and shoulders above the others is somewhat self encouraged; what with the early October 15 deadline, applying to only one of the two universities (bar choral scholarships and other get outs) and interviewing every considered applicant.

The ganging together as "Oxbridge" helps perpetuate an image of eliteness which isn't neccessarily true, its mostly reputation not hard evidence. I believe there is little to call between Oxbridge and other elite universities within certain subjects; I would say that in individual subjects Oxbridge doesn't hold the advantage that their overall reputation suggests.
Reply 90
Inns Veep
It seems amazing that at the same time as people are saying the standards in A levels are dropping because more people get A grades that we hold Oxford and Cambridge up as shining examples of educational achievement because they get more Firsts than other Unis.

Who actually decides that all these Oxford students have achieved higher grades than everybody else -- Oxford dons that's who.

Well there is an element of external oversight. I think that youll probably find that the majority of those getting a 1st from Oxford would get a 1st at KCL or LSE.

However what it DOES mean, is that those who get a 1st at KCL, LSE, Bristol, UCL etc... are probably just as bright as those getting a first at Oxbridge (with some exceptions for the top handful).

Im not saying this as a reflection on myself ... just what I consider to be the truth
Reply 91
Inns Veep

Yup ... been saying this for ages - tends to be those from Oxford or Cambridge who disagree ... in the end its all about the grades.

However, reputation does count for something - rightly or wrongly. As such it helps employment, and as such its preferable to go to Oxbridge if you can.

That is if you want a job, rather than say to go into business for yourself, or simply to learn.
Reply 92
Phonicsdude
So why do Oxbridge feel the need to have shorter terms than everyone else?

Perhaps its because the lecturers need longer breaks for research and of course the intensive work involved with one to one tuition :tongue:
Reply 93
One on one tuition is rare.
Reply 94
Lawzzzzzz
One on one tuition is rare.

How rare? Is it more nearer a ratio of one to four?
The tutorial groups are about 4-6 I think.
Reply 96
Oh c'mon guys... The Tutorial system is practically unique. (Hold for some wannabe's trapsing behind...) I know I'd rather have a small discussion group of maybe 2 or 3 students, than a lecture theatre of 200.
Reply 97
I know people at Oxbridge who have tutorials that are of 1, 2 and 3 people right up to 6.
Dreama
Oh c'mon guys... The Tutorial system is practically unique. (Hold for some wannabe's trapsing behind...) I know I'd rather have a small discussion group of maybe 2 or 3 students, than a lecture theatre of 200.

It sounds fantastic :biggrin:
Reply 99
NDGAARONDI
It sounds fantastic :biggrin:

*Narrows eyes*

Is he being sarcastic?

* picks up a brick...poised.... *

Latest

Trending

Trending