The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Heyy, im also interested to find out what support they can offer to us. Anyone able to help?
Reply 2
Try to look some programs or scholarships available on your desired school.
Reply 3
I *think* you still get funding as it's part of your UK-based degree rather than participating in a programme based overseas.

If you email the relevant university (or universities) they should be able to answer your question properly.
Reply 4
If it's part of the course then yes. You'll still be entitled to your loan. Where will you be going?
Reply 5
I'm entitled to my loan, university fees are wavered, and I'm receiving an Erasmus grant of 240 (rising to 340) euros per month. I'm also on a paid internship from Ferbruary. Take that, stupid overdraft!
You will still get all of the money you qualify for in the Uk, regardless of whether your 3rd year is in the UK or abroad. You may be entitled to more money than you get normally, but this depends on your LEA. Mine is paying for my flights to Helsinki and back this year, which is great given that they're around £150 a time. Contact them and ask as they don't tend to be open with the information, I was only aware that they'd pay for my flights because I phoned and asked what I was entitled to get this year.

If you go on an erasmus placement, as the person above has said, you will recieve a non repayable grant from the EU in addition to everything you recieve from the UK. This is non income assessed and all erasmus students are eligible. The amount varies from year to year, but its 250 euros a month for UK students this year. Its normally closer to 300 euros apparently. The EU will also pay your tutition fees for the year, providing you are spending the entire academic year abroad. If you only go from Sept-Dec or whatever, you will be liable to pay your normal course fees at your university in the UK, but you will still be entitled to the EU grant for 4 months. I'm away for the whole academic year so am making money rather than spending money this year!
If you go outwith the EU for your year abroad, you will have to pay your normal tution fees in the UK and obviously, you will not get support from the EU, but again, you may from your LEA. The host university may be able to provide financial assistance too, but again, that depends on where you go. Many of the US-UK exchanges seem to have systems in place where you pay the average fee for accommodation at your university in the UK, and you're given a room at X university in return, as the person you are exchanging places with will have paid for that room. I think this is because college education in the US is ridiculously expensive and they don't want UK students to not go purely because of the financial expenditure.

Latest

Trending

Trending