The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
.x.--Lou--.x.
well this is a positive thread!! v encouraging for all the future, wannabe medics out there!!! :rolleyes:
can i just ask, what is it that you now know that makes you think you wouldnt of applied again???
Thats me... full of positivity! If you noticed I said I would apply again, although I think I'd be slightly mad to do so.
If you think medicine is a bed a roses then you're severely mistaken. Morale is lower than ever and its potentially only going to get worse. Sorry to dissapoint.
Reply 21
yes its **** in loads of ways but there is actually nothing else I would want to do, so I would apply again

I think I would apply to different medical schools though, purely because I want to stay here after I graduate but I don't like how far I will be from home. I won't very easily be able to visit home at the weekends for one.
Reply 22
Nasher and Basher
Thank you, this basically summed up how I feel. I always felt that has im not a natural scientist, I would be a crap Doctor or shouldnt be one. But its good to see that others are in the same situation as me and still enjoy med. :biggrin:

Oh, I'm not either... when my school got newspaper cuttings/photo from my 6th form after the Oxbridge offers publicity they assumed my subject was a print error - should have been a historian! :p:

I might have had more fun doing an arts degree, but then I suspect I would have wanted to do fast track medicine afterwards anyway because what I want to be is a doctor = which would have been frustrating to have taken that long/cost that much money & the arts degree would have felt a bit self indulgent!
Not too sure about the direction the NHS is going in though...

Wangers

People settle down right out of uni? But you're still a twee lass in the grander scale of things :s-smilie:

Sure or during if it's medicine. My facebook home page is a flurry of 'is now engaged/married to...' status updates. Although the rate is probably somewhat higher amongst Christian Union types!

Speedbird2008

*Feels depressed and is thinking of doing Biology at Imperial or Oxford (hey, it is their least competitive course, and my schools' Oxbridge tutor reckons I should get in) then ****ing off into the City to work as an Investment Banker*

Biological Sciences? Nah - a higher % get in for Chemistry out of the sciences & that would look more hardcore if you wanted to be a banker. :wink:
Reply 23
Hmmm this is interesting, if slightly worrying! I guess one thing I'm worried about is that I don't love science and it was never my best subject at school or the one I enjoyed most. It's the people side of Medicine that attracted me to it, but I just hope I didn't make the wrong choice in choosing it above others such as nursing or teaching. But I'm glad some people on here have said they'd still choose it again, even though science wasn't really their subject.
i would but i would have applied to different places, like not bsms cos it is too damn competitive but if i dont get a yes from imperial aka my last choice, i will def apply next year, no doubt

Well having applied 3 times, I'm in the frame of mind to say I'm really happy to have offers to study medicine, but I've also done a Masters and found myself taking an interest in the science and technology behind medicine. Furthermore I've never been in a situation where I've excelled at something academically until now, and I feel I've got a natural ability to work in research.

Which makes me wonder whether I should be doing a PhD or a medical degree. I mean, I also love people contact but yes, junior doctors blogs arent the most encouraging pieces of published information! Ideally, I think I'd like to work in an environment where I can challenge myself academically and keep up to date with medical advances, but also experience patient contact. The latter of which is deciding for me that I should study an MBChB.

So really, confusing as it sounds, that's why I'd apply all over again if I could :biggrin: But I feel bad I didn't apply to BSMS, would've been fun down there :smile:
I'd apply again, I love medicine, and I can't see myself doing anything else.

But I hate the fact that I can't make any plans for the future, settling down etc. and that I don't even know that I'll get a job in this country
Reply 27
Interesting thread...

I'm doing my fourth year project on morale within medicine. I chose to do that because i currently feel so rubbish about the whole thing and i need to make sure that i'm not the only one!

Knowing what i know now....I can't see me doing anything else so yes i would still do medicine. It's a shame that things are in such a state at the moment.
Reply 28
Although I'm not actually doing Medicine yet, I think overall it will be the right decision, I hope.

Like someone said earlier, English was my passion for a while - I absolutely adored it (and to be honest I think the only reason I got given intreviews is because my Personal Statement was better written than most other pre Medics) but if I had gone and done an Arts degree, I would be kicking myself for not doing something useful and tangible with my life. I'm not saying the Arts aren't really useful (they're the greatest thing ever really, to put bluntly) but they're not hands on or "in the moment". And equally, if I get into Medical school I'll be kicking myself for not doing something creative and beautiful. Either way, I know I probably won't ever be completely satisfied. But I associate being a doctor and Medicine with an immense amount of work - I could never imagine a non hard worker being a doctor. It's just the way it goes.

And in the middle of revision, I get pissed off and depressed sometimes but really I think to myself, if I wasn't working hard, I would be more pissed off and depressed. I'm just one of those people who is destined to work hard for the rest of their life I think.
34 person

And in the middle of revision, I get pissed off and depressed sometimes but really I think to myself, if I wasn't working hard, I would be more pissed off and depressed. I'm just one of those people who is destined to work hard for the rest of their life I think.

Haha! You sound so much like me lol! (Except I'm lazy :p:)
Nasher and Basher
Thank you, this basically summed up how I feel. I always felt that has im not a natural scientist, I would be a crap Doctor or shouldnt be one. But its good to see that others are in the same situation as me and still enjoy med. :biggrin:

I'm definitely not a natural scientist either, History was my favourite at school, but the job I want at the end of it requires a medicine degree, so here I am! When I was going through interviews and stuff I almost felt like a fake, pretending to like science- but I've actually found since I got here I like it a lot more. I also like that we don't have to write many essays :rolleyes:
I like medicine and my course and i speak 2 all my friends who have qualified and they like their job. I keep thinking i want to do that!! I wouldnt have applied for keele though - i went for an interview took one look at the place and was ready to run for it! I hated the place but funnily enough i went for the interview and got in - didnt take the place though!!

I would have liked to apply to oxford or cambridge just to see what would happen really ive always just wondered whether i would get accepted just because people are always on about those 2 unis although im not sure whether either of these unis would be for me anyways!!

At the minute in the mist of exam revision and im feeling ****ty - so maybe i would say stuff i dont mean like when i asked if i could have my old full time job back because i didnt wanna do medicine anymore!!
34 person

Right back at you like now im feeling guilty and ive had a 15 minute break.
Yeah Geography was my passion for a while and it is by far my best subject at A-level (but it wasn't at GCSE) but medicine has always been there. Its like there is something inside you telling you that you have to do it. Weird stuff eh?
Reply 34
34 person
That's a really awful outlook. There's much more to life than work. Though I suppose you've spent your entire life in education and so don't know anything different.

I read a quote earlier that said something like; 'Imagine the aspects of your life are balls that you're juggling; work, health, friends, family, relationships; you're constantly trying to keep them all in the air. You should realise that the work ball is made of rubber, and will bounce. All the other balls are made of glass, and dropping them damages them in some way- either by denting them, cracking them or sometimes smashing them completely. You should be more careful with these'.

Sorry, that was quite random, but I'm just saying there's more to life than work :p:
Reply 35
Saffie
That's a really awful outlook. There's much more to life than work. Though I suppose you've spent your entire life in education and so don't know anything different.

I read a quote earlier that said something like; 'Imagine the aspects of your life are balls that you're juggling; work, health, friends, family, relationships; you're constantly trying to keep them all in the air. You should realise that the work ball is made of rubber, and will bounce. All the other balls are made of glass, and dropping them damages them in some way- either by denting them, cracking them or sometimes smashing them completely. You should be more careful with these'.

Sorry, that was quite random, but I'm just saying there's more to life than work :p:

I'm 18 years old, I think I know that there's more to life than work...what a weird thing to say.

Health, family, friends, relationships: Yes they're in my life too surprisingl!
Reply 36
34 person
I'm 18 years old, I think I know that there's more to life than work...what a weird thing to say.

Health, family, friends, relationships: Yes they're in my life too surprisingl!
heh, you're so naive.:rolleyes:
Reply 37
Definitely, a hundred times yes. If only because I'm looking back on one of the scarier weeks of my career and thinking of it as fantastic. That and the notion of not being able to do the job anymore and having to re-make the decisions I made four years ago quite seriously went through my head.

As far as doctor's blogs go, there's a self-selecting element to it. Generally, people who are enjoying their jobs don't write about it on the internet, so the blogs become dominated by the depressed and the disillusioned. Not to say what they're going through isn't real and they don't represent a significant part of the Health Service. But then I also go into the hospital and see other parts working fantastically and with happy people which don't get represented at all.
Reply 38
Saffie
heh, you're so naive.:rolleyes:

And you're incredibly patronising.
Reply 39
To be fair Saffie, Person 34 seems pretty self-aware about how they are. More so than a lot of other people I speak to at open days and interviews and compared to how I felt when I was eighteen at least. The fact is, they haven't had to make these decisions yet, but again you and I haven't, in comparison to people two or three years older than us. I certainly don't know how I'm going to make these decisions in future, I don't know how a prefresher could be expected to.

Latest

Trending

Trending