The Student Room Group
yes although noone can as of yet confirm what an uncapped fee will look like. i think they're going to simply move the cap up to around £6k then rather than remove it entirely but we'll all just have to wait and see really.
Reply 2
Ah I see. I'm hoping a fee of around 5k. Ive come across several different figures from different sources, 6k from yourself, 8k off a university website (can't remember which) and 15k! :redface:
ah well i don't know that anyone can tell you at this stage. i'm just a medical student although i have spoken to some folk who keep up with this sort of thing. if you've seen a figure on a uni website though i'd be really interested to see it!

i'm pretty convinced the price increases are going to work in two phases: a general raising of the cap to a higher level (whatever that may be) followed by a much more variable fee depending on the course a few years later which you should escape unless you have a good few years break before med school. when courses start to be priced individually, i think that's when the fees for medicine are going to rocket.
6K a year and they want more students to go to uni - bloody heck thats very ott. Thats insane and i moan about paying £1,125(ish) per year!!
Reply 5
So if we enter uni in 2009 we still get the capped fee of 3000ish throughout our whole course right?
Reply 6
I really hope that if when these un-capped fees come in they will allow graduates to get a loan to cover fees as well.

At the moment 3k isn't too hard to find, but 6k, 8k 10k (whatever it goes up to) is a lot of money for most people to pay up front for the first year!
pepilachat
So if we enter uni in 2009 we still get the capped fee of 3000ish throughout our whole course right?

they can't tell you that either. noone can even guarantee mine will stay capped after 2010 and i've already started (long before they talked about these kind of levels!)
Reply 8
JammyP
I really hope that if when these un-capped fees come in they will allow graduates to get a loan to cover fees as well.

At the moment 3k isn't too hard to find, but 6k, 8k 10k (whatever it goes up to) is a lot of money for most people to pay up front for the first year!

That's if you get into a graduate entry course, imagine trying to find that amount every year for a 5 year course. Realistically I think that is what I will have to do.
Reply 9
bright star
ah well i don't know that anyone can tell you at this stage. i'm just a medical student although i have spoken to some folk who keep up with this sort of thing. if you've seen a figure on a uni website though i'd be really interested to see it!

i'm pretty convinced the price increases are going to work in two phases: a general raising of the cap to a higher level (whatever that may be) followed by a much more variable fee depending on the course a few years later which you should escape unless you have a good few years break before med school. when courses start to be priced individually, i think that's when the fees for medicine are going to rocket.

Not completely sure if this is relavent, but i found an article on the 'un-capping' of fees. Heres the link...

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2008/02/12/university-students-to-face-a-lifetime-debt-if-fees-rise-64375-20463994/

Its quite worrying to think that a possible rise to 9k a year... i thought most students strugled to pay the existing 3k!
Reply 10
offy
Not completely sure if this is relavent, but i found an article on the 'un-capping' of fees. Heres the link...

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2008/02/12/university-students-to-face-a-lifetime-debt-if-fees-rise-64375-20463994/

Its quite worrying to think that a possible rise to 9k a year... i thought most students strugled to pay the existing 3k!
They'll increase the loans, you'll be able to pay, but you'll be in ****loads of debt.

Latest

Trending

Trending