The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Recommendations postgrad accommodations

I am in an international postgrad student that will be starting at the University of Edinburgh in September. I am starting to work out what I should do for accommodations. I have heard from some people that it is better (cheeper and better quality) to just find a flat on your own as compared to applying for university accommodations, do you all think this is true? Are places you find on your own typically furnished, I do not think it would be cost effective to have to bring too much stuff over from the US?

I got to thinking that for the first year it may just be a good idea to apply for university accommodation, this way I will have a furnished place as soon as I get to Edinburg and I will not have to worry about were I will stay the first few weeks while looking for a flat.

I am thinking about apply for accommodation at
Churchill House @ Richmond Place
or
Morgan Court

Has any one here been to those places any other recommendations?
In my experience university accommodation is averagely-priced, especially considering you don't pay any utility bills. You can find cheaper, of course, but as you rightly point out it's a lot of hassle as soon as you arrive (although most private student flats do also come furnished). I'd personally do exactly as you've said here, apply for university accommodation for your first year.

I've never been to Richmond Place or Morgan Court so I can't help you there.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I'm in the same boat as you, and am still deciding between university accomodation and renting with roommates. Renting I presume will be infinitely cheaper, although you then run the risk of not liking your flatmates, or having to move midyear due to some unknown happening.

Check out www.edinburgh.gumtree.com! You can check out pictures of flats for rent and get a real idea of what is included. It seems that most rooms come furnished with a bed, wardrobe, maybe a desk and a bookshelf. The site is great for figuring out what to expect... maybe 3-400 pounds a month? Not bad compared to the dorm prices!
Corygirl1984
The site is great for figuring out what to expect... maybe 3-400 pounds a month? Not bad compared to the dorm prices!

Do bear in mind that those prices will generally not include bills, which means that they'll be quite similar if not pricier than the university owned stuff. This year I've been paying £80 a week for my room (self-catered) and that covers a room, furniture, shared kitchen plus electricity and water bills. And you get a good internet connection :smile:
Edinburgh accomodation for post grads has a range between 75-106 per week. Gumtree lists many fully furnished double bedrooms at 60-70 per week. Some include tv, wireless internet, and utilities, but those that dont usually say bills are 30 quid more a month tops.

Then there's the added luxury of having a bit more space to your bedroom!
Reply 5
Good to hear you got in corygirl :smile:, always nice to see there will be other Canadian expats around :P

I decided to to just bite the bullet and apply for university accommodations, may be a bit more expensive then I could do on my own. But really seems to be much more simple. I will have a place to stay from day one and will have all the services (internet ect.) set up and running.

Thanks for the gumtree link this will be invaluable for years 2 and 3 when university accommodations may not be so much of an option.
Reply 6
Hey Nomd and Corygirl,

I'm in pretty much the same situation. Where did you end up applying to live Nomd?

Corygirl: Did you end up finding a flat already? Are you planning to find a place by yourself or along with a group of friends?
Reply 7
Hi soj89,

This is the accommodation preferences I picked, but from reading this board it sounds like it is a bit of a roll of the dice.

Accommodation Preferences
=========================
Catering Preference Self-Catered
Preference 1 Richmond Place, En-suite, Standard Size, £103.18 per week
Preference 2 Morgan Court, En-suite, Standard Size, £96.18 per week
Preference 3 Roxburgh Place, Standard, Standard Size, £103.46 per week
Hi Soj89,

I will be looking for a place with roommates probably, but not until later on in the summer if I do. I met someone who will be at Edinburgh next year who said she needs roommates, so I'm hoping that will work out... there's nothing decided. If not, I am going to try and wrangle a furnished double room close to the university for 350 pounds a month after everything... I've always lived with roommates, I'm used to loud messy boys so I'm hoping it'll be alright...

Latest

Trending

Trending