The Student Room Group

Woodwind Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I've had my wisdom teeth out (years ago) so I don't have that to face. Given up on practice for today, don't feel like I've been getting anywhere for weeks now so leaving it until tomorrow and get down to it with a fresh head.
Reply 81
woo, a woodwind society!
play the oboe :biggrin:
but my reeds are annoying me so badly lately.. they all keeo breaking/closing up easily.
grr.
Reply 82
"By the power of Greyskull..."

Take a look at this...

:adore:

http://www.sax.co.uk/
Reply 83
Yuna47
"By the power of Greyskull..."

Take a look at this...
I went there to buy a mouthpiece a few months ago. :smile:
Reply 84
I've been there too, bought my Selmer sax from there.
Reply 85
New day, practice begins...!
Reply 86
Is the place as sweet as it looks?! :biggrin:

Pomarico clarinet mouthpieces - anyone tried one? Are they any good or, once again, is it a matter of preference? :rolleyes:

Good luck with the practice today folks! :cool:
Reply 87
IT'S OFFICIAL!!!

Woodwind Society

JOIN UP HERE!

:suitd:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=join&socid=614:suitd:
Reply 88
The shop is amazing Yuna so definitely make a trip. Never tried those mouthpieces, but personal preference does come into it...

Having a break from practising today, not intentionally. I've hardly done any. Got my dissertation bound now so will have some lunch and then see if I can get some proper practice done.
That problem is when your teeth are only half through...and mine is too, and has been that way for years...so now I'm worried :frown: But I suppose all will be revealed on friday!

Had a good flute lesson today, having a rest at the minute, then will get out the evil metronome to have a bit of a bash at these pieces!
My teacher said my playing was excellent. But then went on a rant about my scales :frown:

My lovely reed makes up for it though.
It makes me glad to be an oboist.
Reply 91
I sure hope nothing ever happens to that reed Doublereedfreak! :smile: Maybe it will turn out to be immortal, who knows :rolleyes:

The novelty of the bassoon has worn off now... I'll probably go back to it in a few months :eek:

Feels good when the dissertation is bound, doesn't it? :biggrin: Just knowing you really don't have to look at it ever, ever again! :biggrin:

I never really bothered learning scales but the Jazz Band made me appreciate just how essential they are!
I hope it lasts foreveeeerrr.
Bassoon's great! Learn to love it.
Try some new music?
I'm loving the montagues and the capulets.
Nice tunes like the teddy bears picnic are good too.
Reply 93
I'll learn to love it when I've sorted the poor thing out. When I bought it, I noted that it had been recently serviced ^o) but the pads aren't exactly fantastic and I've noticed there's at least one that isn't seated properly and I can't reach the lowest of the low notes, probably due to this. I'll set about it with a screwdriver after my exams next month... :p:

I bet the look on Doublereedfreak's face right now is priceless! :^_^:
Nah, my bassoon, like everyone elses, is a bundle of sticks too :smile:
If your pads on the keys are a bit weird, try covering them in clingfilm, it can sometimes work.

mind you don't loose all the little screws! :smile:

The bottom notes are the best, i like to just play Bbs alll the time.
Just a reference to whoever mentioned a metronome up there ^^^
I think they're the most irritating things I've encountered. Mainly because my piano teacher's does a dotted rhythm instead of equal beats, resulting in uneven music.

I have to agree with the ignorance of some people. My clarinet has been called a trumpet and a bassoon before, and my mother thought saxophones were part of the brass section until last week.

One of my keys is refusing to work. I've had two clarinets and neither has been able to play the first B above the break properly using the left hand key. The first because the instrument was over 40 years old and had tons of leaks, and the second because I broke it [oops], though it's still not working properly :mad:
Reply 96
I wouldn't recommend taking it apart and putting it (your clarinet) back together again if it's special to you... just in case :rolleyes:

Can I ask how and in what way you broke it? If there was one thing I could change about woodwind instruments, it would be how darn delicate they are! :biggrin:

The screws - fair point dude. My room is covered in papers and books and I currently don't have a surface large and secure enough to lay everything out on.....
You know, I wish I could tell you.
It worked fine when I got it and I came back after the summer and it packed in. I took it to get sorted and apparently the key had moved slightly out of place [only cost £2.50 to get fixed, I was chuffed to bits]. I think it's probably half psychological because on my old clarinet it was impossible to play and my teacher at the time told me it was my inability [though she refused to check herself], so I have a hatred of that note [and the teacher].

It's not actually my clarinet. It's a county one, so taking it apart probably wouldn't go down well with them. I'm begging my parents to buy me my own though.
Reply 98
That was very mean of that teacher!!! I fully sympathise, it's kinda depressing playing an instrument that needs fixed! I'm sure it's a great thing when you find a nice teacher. "Stand up straight!!! Flute out!!!" - bane of my existence (but having heard James Galway's take on flute embrouchure, I'm not so bothered bout the 'flute out' part now ^_^)

You just gotta keep working on your parents. Anyone out there have any advice on how to manipulate (encourage is probably a better word :rolleyes:) parents to buy their kids an instrument?

Worse comes to the worst you could do what I did - get a part time job to fund the woodwind addiction and when the studying is affected by the job and you have to give it up..... student loan! :biggrin: (Although I should point out that I am not trying to encourage students to get deeper into debt :p:)
Eek! My exam is in exactly in 11 days :'(

Must learn scales!!!

Quick Reply

Latest