The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well thats me who told u that. Its not that unis don't respect it, its just the course is newer than history. Also history can involve a fair bit of law and lots of essay writing. I think it has the same status as sumthing like Eng Lit whilst Politics has the same status as mayb Economics. I no theres not much difference but I believe you shud do history. :smile:
Reply 2
All other things being equal, I think history would have the edge. However, as far as I'm aware, the edge is minimal and not likely to significantly affect your chances of getting in. And all other things are probably not equal. Go with the subject you think you'll enjoy most, or which you find easiest. You'll do better in the exams that way - and this is something unis certainly do notice!
I'd say politics as you might be able to choose a course which overlaps with law and you could use that to your advantage. I was advised to take GCE 'A' level history for a law degree but never bothered, I think it was because of the skills involved mainly. I'm not sure what else, someone said about land law.

Then again I'm biased because I like constitutional law for some unknown reason.
Reply 4
yeah the point i was tryin to get at was the same as wat Muncrun said. If u can't decide then go for the one you think you'll enjoy.
Look at the actual content because there are parts of history and politics I'd rather not study and those I wouldn't mind.
Reply 6
cus i'm applyin to law it wud help u cud explain wat jurisprudence actually is?? Thnx!!!!!!! :smile:
Saagar
cus i'm applyin to law it wud help u cud explain wat jurisprudence actually is?? Thnx!!!!!!! :smile:

In the words of JG Riddall it is not law but about the law. I'm guessing this doesn't actually help at all.
Reply 8
Thanks for your help guys. I personally think I'll enjoy the course History offers more than Politics, but my parents would prefer that I did Politics. But they'll come round t my way of thinking eventually :smile:
Reply 9
Jurisprudence is basically the philosophy of law (except it's not so basic!).
Melanie47
Thanks for your help guys. I personally think I'll enjoy the course History offers more than Politics, but my parents would prefer that I did Politics. But they'll come round t my way of thinking eventually :smile:

Why do they prefer you to study politics? It is your education after all.
Reply 11
Melanie47
I have posted this elsewhere in the forum, but I thought it would be good to post it here as well. Can anybody help me on what would be better to do for A level to study law at university, Politics or History as I am not sure as to which one to do. I have been told that Politics is not as widely respected by universities as History, is this true?

Well, in politics (if you opt for 2nd year political theory), you would certainly do some topics interelated to law. For instance, you would question obligation and under what grounds we ought if at all obey the law.
Reply 12
Melanie47
I have posted this elsewhere in the forum, but I thought it would be good to post it here as well. Can anybody help me on what would be better to do for A level to study law at university, Politics or History as I am not sure as to which one to do. I have been told that Politics is not as widely respected by universities as History, is this true?

History is probably more respected, but that doesn't mean that Politics isn't a respectable subject too.

And besides for something like Law, Univeristies will genrally prefer someone with an A in Politics than a B in History.
Reply 13
muncrun
Jurisprudence is basically the philosophy of law (except it's not so basic!).

OK thnx guys (includin NDGAARONDI) i thought it was along those lines but wasn't sure!! So wat kinda stuff is it? ie wat Q's wud you be asked in the exam? Thnx for the help :smile:
Reply 14
It's to do with the different theories behind law. For the main part, theorists try to describe what the law is, and there are a great deal of competing theories out there. The two main competing theories are those of natural law and positivism. At its most basic, natural law theorists believe that morality is intertwined with law and that immoral law is not really law at all. Positivists look merely at the way the law is posited to answer the question "what is law"; its most distinctive feature is that it treats the morality of a law as being an irrelevant issue for the purposes of answering the question "what is law". I'm reluctant to go into any more detail as jurisprudence really is a minefield, and so it's difficult to go further without saying something controversial.
Reply 15
NDGAARONDI
Why do they prefer you to study politics? It is your education after all.

They don't really mind... they'd just prefer me to do Politics that's all.
Reply 16
I'm off to sleep now cus i'm tired!!!!! Au revoir ppl :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending