The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

prettyanxious
Well, I actually graduated from King's, have a First in my final dissertation, and have worked in very relevant fields with a prominent name. I don't know whether it will increase my chances of getting into LSE (unless it's a course that doesn't specify degree classification), but I'm hoping to at least get accepted back into King's.

Well, if people actually bothered to read carefully, I said I "have a First in my final dissertation. How anyone could have misread that I don't know. All this flack for asking for a little bit of advice....

Thanks all for the advice though, I guess I really should talk to the admissions tutor, but I was really wondering whether anyone's in the same boat/been in the same situation.
Reply 21
Eubacterium
Why are you telling people this? Why did you ask if there are any unis who accept 2:2s?

To try to make your achievements even more impressive? Seriously I hate when people ask for advise here and turn out to be time wasters! :mad:

prettyanxious
Well, I actually graduated from King's, have a First in my final dissertation, and have worked in very relevant fields with a prominent name.

The O.P. achieved a First in their dissertation, not overall. And I'd say that leaping lemming-like to a response without first reading what you're responding to is as much 'time-wasting' as anything else.
Reply 22
I simply don't see why you left out relevant information from your first post. Of course the fact that the you got a first in your dissertation is relevant, and so is the fact that you did your BA at King's. Presumably you know the people at King's who'll be in a much better position to answer this question than anyone on TSR, so why didn't you ask them?
Reply 23
I dont think you would have a problem at all.. maybe oxbridge isnt a possibility but plenty of others are. My father got a 2:2 and went on to get an masters and a phd in geophysics... i dont think his 2:2 was ever a problem.
Reply 24
Miss Mess
I dont think you would have a problem at all.. maybe oxbridge isnt a possibility but plenty of others are. My father got a 2:2 and went on to get an masters and a phd in geophysics... i dont think his 2:2 was ever a problem.

Once again, it depends on the course. Generally speaking, it's quite possible to do a master's degree with a 2.ii, of course, but anecdotal evidence to that effect won't really help the OP, who is interested in doing not just any MA but a number of specific master's courses, which happen to be quite popular and usually ask for a 2.i or higher. I really think emailing admissions offices to ask whether they would consider the application is the only way forward here.

Edit: Unless I managed to misunderstand the OP again, in which case I apologise.
hobnob
I simply don't see why you left out relevant information from your first post. Of course the fact that the you got a first in your dissertation is relevant, and so is the fact that you did your BA at King's. Presumably you know the people at King's who'll be in a much better position to answer this question than anyone on TSR, so why didn't you ask them?

Yes exactly and also as Ilex has pointed out the OP has asked a similar question before and was told to contact the universities, in this case the exact one they graduated from.

Although to be honest I still think it's very unlikely they would be successful if they applied. It's too competitive.
Thanks for the advice- I should probably ask the people in the KCL forum instead.

To Eubacterium: Well, hopefully, I will be successful. :smile:
prettyanxious
Thanks for the advice- I should probably ask the people in the KCL forum instead.

To Eubacterium: Well, hopefully, I will be successful. :smile:

No people at KCL. Maybe your past advisor if possible.
Reply 28
prettyanxious

I doubt they'll be able to tell you much more, though, unless they happen to be involved in admissions... Just send a nice email to the faculty office, explain your situation and hope for the best (and if they tell you they'd consider your application and if you're still on speaking terms with one of your former tutors, ask him/her for an honest opinion concerning your chances). There's no need for you to feel so reluctant to ask, really; they're the people who can actually answer your questions, whereas the people on TSR can only speculate, regardless of whether they're KCL students or not.
if you contact kcl make sure you send the same email to the course director in addition to admin. i applied for a masters before and was told by the admin that i didn't have enough experience for the course, but the course director told me that the lack of experience wasn't a problem. this happened to me at 2 different universities!
The Boosh
if you contact kcl make sure you send the same email to the course director in addition to admin. i applied for a masters before and was told by the admin that i didn't have enough experience for the course, but the course director told me that the lack of experience wasn't a problem. this happened to me at 2 different universities!

"right hand- whats that you doing?"

springs to mind
Reply 31
flexiblefish

springs to mind

Typing - I hope.:ninja:
I got this from the FAQ section of the admissions page:

12 I do not have a 2:1, First, US GPA 3.25 (or broad equivalent). Can I still apply and do you think I will get a place?

You are free to make an application and it will be considered by the Admissions Committee. However, we cannot give preliminary indications of success to prospective applicants. We will only make offers to suitable applicants on the basis of a full application with two references and an academic transcript. Admissions decisions are made on consideration of all of these elements of your application.

The Admissions Committee does sometimes take relevant experience into account, and the First/2:1 requirement is not always absolute. However, our courses do receive a high volume of applications (especially the MA International Relations and MA International Peace and Security). Where competition is high, academic merit naturally becomes a decisive factor and it is likely that places will only be offered to applicants with at least 2:1 or above. However, if you only have a 2:2 and you really want a place on the course, you should go ahead and apply and see what happens. If there are any extenuating circumstances behind your academic grades you can tell us about this on Section 6 of the application form called “Information in support of your application”.

Hmmmm....

Thanks for the advice guys, I will contact the admissions people at KCL and LSE.
Reply 33
^^Well, that's good news. Good luck with the applications.:smile:
flexiblefish

springs to mind

lol to me that sounds dirty.

but aye, in the sensible context what you are saying is absolutely the case.
Soas run a diplomacy course, that wil consider students with strong work experience if their academic record is below the entry req (2:1 or above). A friend of mine is doing this course with a 2:2 but had 6-12months with an NGO. Maybe the OP could consider that instead?
You can still get into a lot of masters courses with a 2:2. I know people at several universities doing masters after a 2:2 in their undergraduate degrees, one of them is at KCL - a place that you mentioned wanting to apply to. Masters courses generally don't have funding, so you have to pay for it yourself. As such, most Universities will accept you because they want the money, academics don't usually matter as much. Hell, I know people doing masters after getting thirds.

Latest

Trending

Trending