The Student Room Group

Law at King's or Warwick?!?!?! Urgent!!!!!

Hi everyone,
I got an offer for European Law (German) at Warwick and for English Law with German Law at King's College.
Which one do you think is going to give me better employment prospects after graduation?
@those who are in a similar situation/know something about these courses: which one should I better chose in order to be able to practice law in both the UK and Germany?
Also, I was thinking King's has got awful accommodation and is more expensive. Warwick's reputation is surely catching up with that of King's...?!
Thanx in advance!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 1
I'm afraid that based on the course description alone, the program at King's College would be better for your requirement/goal/ambition. However, I'm a "prestige whore" type of a guy and my instincts are telling me that Warwick is the better deal here especially that Warwick has a very good reputation all over Europe. I feel that a Warwick degree would give you more advantage in the lone run. This is a tough call to make. Fortunately, this is your choice to make, not mine. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
They are equal in terms of reputation nationally and internationally. You have to see which course interests you more instead of worrying about which is more prestigious, since the difference if any between these two is minute. Going to either one, is not going to hinder a career in Law, especially in England where they are viewed as equals. Best of luck with the decision.
I don't know anything about either course, but I think that the whole 'prestige' thing would (just) put Kings over Warwick, as you would gain a University of London degree. I think law at the London unis is very highly regarded.
Reply 4
^^ No from this year onwards King's students will be getting a King's degree like the other larger UoL institutions. Personally one should consider the fundamental differences between these two instiutions: one is a campus institution whilst the other is a city-based one. But if you won't mind either then go for reputation and this clearly goes to KCL in my opinion and I personally find Warwick a bit overrated (I think Yorks better though I'm not sure if they opened their law department yet).
Reply 5
I have friends who have applied to both. Personally I wouldn't want to be in London for uni so find a campus uni better. I also think Warwick's reputation is excellent whilst I always tend to feel UCL overshadows KCL in terms of London unis, though that's a personal opinion. I would choose Warwick but because you're the one having to make the decision, maybe decide based on the individual courses. Though it seems you're not keen on KCL's costs/accommodation, so consider that also.
Reply 6
Thank you very much for your replies!
If anything, KCL seems to be having a better reputation, but maybe its only due to its age (Warwick is a comparably new institution)...?!?!
I was thinking of accepting King's as my firm offer & Warwick as insurance - the only problem is:
KCL = AAA
Warwick = AAAD,
so it rather won't work...
Reply 7
Warwick is looked on favourably by employers too. I think the only thing is that, as you say, KCL is an older institution - but as I mentioned I consider there to be better London unis. Think about where you can see yourself living for the next three years, because their atmospheres/costs vary. Also consider their courses because they have different approaches, I'm sure.
Reply 8
ILIGAN
I'm afraid that based on the course description alone, the program at King's College would be better for your requirement/goal/ambition. However, I'm a "prestige whore" type of a guy and my instincts are telling me that Warwick is the better deal here especially that Warwick has a very good reputation all over Europe. I feel that a Warwick degree would give you more advantage in the lone run. This is a tough call to make. Fortunately, this is your choice to make, not mine. Good luck! :smile:

hmmm prestige wise i would say kings.
Reply 9
Thanx for ur replies!
I think I will go to King's, since London does sound quite attractive to me, I might get good accommodation if I book early and the course is undisputably more suitable for me, as I had found out.
So what do you think I should do about Warwick as my insurance choice, since the problem mentioned above has appeared?
Reply 10
^^ Don't you have any other insurances? I wouldn't personally risk putting Warwick as my insurance especially because of the level of demand for a course like law.
Reply 11
1. Nope,
2. Risk? It won't come up as a choice at all if I don't put it as insurance, and I'm pretty sure I want KCL as my firm choice...
Reply 12
ola1990
1. Nope,
2. Risk? It won't come up as a choice at all if I don't put it as insurance, and I'm pretty sure I want KCL as my firm choice...

brilliant choice :biggrin:. Warwick is a brill uni but i would think kings is a better choice
Reply 13
Vincente
... and I personally find Warwick a bit overrated (I think Yorks better though I'm not sure if they opened their law department yet).

With all due respect, what do you base this "overratedness" on?
Have you studied at Warwick? If not, you can not surely be in the position to assert such.

As for the question at hand; as always, I suggest you NOT to listen to views on 'reputation' and prestige' on TSR. The majority of people have neither studied at either university nor engaged in conversation with employers. League tables are not a basis for an opinion; they are the Times/Guardian/whoever opinion.
Warwick overrated? That's humorous. Personally I'd say that if anywhere is overrated on TSR it's Kings. It's very good, but I don't think it's as good as people make it out to be.
Lewisy-boy
Warwick overrated? That's humorous. Personally I'd say that if anywhere is overrated on TSR it's Kings. It's very good, but I don't think it's as good as people make it out to be.

I agree - I never really understood that either. :s-smilie:

OP, I would personally say Warwick for reputation but also because living in London is incredibly expensive and because I live close enough to commute anyway (which is why I didn't pick a London university.) However, I'm afraid I wouldn't know enough about your individual course to tell you which one is better or more suited to you! :smile:
Reply 16
I think Kings rides off the rep of LSE, Imperial and UCL. "The Big 4" you know? I am not saying Kings is a bad university. It has some amazing departments such as Law, Medicine etc. and is a good univesity for sure. But it is overrated while universities that are just as good are downplayed.
Reply 17
When it comes to reputation outside of the UK, as a Swede, I would say that the London unis are far more well-known than Warwick.
Reply 18
Torrboll
When it comes to reputation outside of the UK, as a Swede, I would say that the London unis are far more well-known than Warwick.

My sentiments exactly, kings is a more prudent choice
People on TSR tend to have a hard-on for London universities. :P

(...which is understandable seeing many of the London universities are very well established anyway!)

I wouldn't take any advice on reputation here at heart. A while back someone posted a list of universities that are well-regarded by firms (it was an actual quote from a law firm). The list included both King's and Warwick. (: Take from that what you will?

Latest

Trending

Trending