The Student Room Group
Reply 1
toogoodtobetrue
Hi guys,

Just wondering has anyone done anything with the organisation Projects Abroad? Some of their summer programmes look good, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

I got back from Mexico last month after having been in Guadalajara for three months with TPA. It was the best experience of my life and I'd give anything to be there right now!! Where is it you're thinkin of going?
x
Reply 2
Hi
I've just returned from a two month trip with Projects Abroad. I would certainly advise against it as would many other people who have travelled with them. Unless you feel you need nannying abroad, you would just be paying a ridiculous price for next to nothing. I'm only 16 but I still felt that the whole experience they offer is nothing like what they describe on the website.
I have to admit that I did enjoy my time abroad however this was not owing to the awful organisation. After 1 month I left my placement and went off travelling, meeting many other people and having an amazing time.
Projects Abroad is an absolute joke! The placements are not worthwhile in comparison with those offered by smaller companies. The best option is to travel to a country and find somewhere to volunteer upon arrival. You will come across much more needy people and make a great difference to their lives.
Reply 3
Char_Devon
Hi
I've just returned from a two month trip with Projects Abroad. I would certainly advise against it as would many other people who have travelled with them. Unless you feel you need nannying abroad, you would just be paying a ridiculous price for next to nothing. I'm only 16 but I still felt that the whole experience they offer is nothing like what they describe on the website.
I have to admit that I did enjoy my time abroad however this was not owing to the awful organisation. After 1 month I left my placement and went off travelling, meeting many other people and having an amazing time.
Projects Abroad is an absolute joke! The placements are not worthwhile in comparison with those offered by smaller companies. The best option is to travel to a country and find somewhere to volunteer upon arrival. You will come across much more needy people and make a great difference to their lives.

Hmmmm well to be fair I do agree with you. I had an amazing time and I made some really really good friends who were other volunteers, and I know without them my experience would have been completely different. But if you organise something well enough you wouldn't need the company, at all. I got on really well with the staff and it was through them that I met the people I did, and I got to stay with an amazing family. But project wise you could definitely organise it yourself and you're bound to meet great people whether you go with a company or alone. They were good in terms of they were there if you needed them but they weren't gonna stop you doing anything you wanted. They are really expensive though. It was my first time abroad alone so I'm glad I went with a company for the security but I won't do it again.x
Reply 4
what projects did you both do?
Reply 5
Annaconda
what projects did you both do?

I went to Guadalajara, México and worked in an orphanage. I was meant to be teaching English as well but decided against it in the end. They're not strict on your projects at all and you can change and vary it a bit if you do change your mind on what you wanna do.x
Reply 6
I did Business in China and found myself in a firm unrelated to my interests/studies (contrary to what the firm and I had previously discussed) where very little English was spoken and there was no job for me to do. There was no worthwhile 'project' to engage upon and I killed nine hours a day on the internet for a month. I raised the issue several times but staff failed to find a new placement for the first month - not a lot of good in a two month placement. Although some people got lucky this was a common feeling amongst volunteers in Shanghai. I paid £2000.

The airport pick up and so forth was smooth and the staff were lovely... sadly not what I was there for.

I left a month early and extracted a promise of a part refund from them. Nearly a month later I'm still waiting for it.

Unbeknown to me, my brother experienced similar problems with Projects Abroad in India and Nepal eight years earlier - no real project to do.

Either do it yourself, or stick with a 'no frills' small organisation like Aid Camps.

Make sure you travel tho - my four months away were the best of my life :wink:

Good Luck

Tx
Reply 7
TrishS

Make sure you travel tho - my four months away were the best of my life :wink:

Tx

Agreed.x

Latest