The Student Room Group

Korean?

Hey everyone,

I'm doing chinese at uni this september but I'm wondering if I should do a joint honours with korean. I love languages so it makes sense and i can scrap any modules in chinese i'm not quite so interested in and do korean language instead but is learning korean advantageous for me bearing in mind I want to get into business. Im pretty certain theres quite a bit of trade between korean and other nations so it seems like a good idea but any opinions would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
if you want to do a joint honour degree, I would recommend doing Japanese, why?
Japan has a bigger industry and therefore more business and if you know Chinese, you will find it a little bit more easier, probably more than Korean.
Reply 2
Yellowsky
if you want to do a joint honour degree, I would recommend doing Japanese, why?
Japan has a bigger industry and therefore more business and if you know Chinese, you will find it a little bit more easier, probably more than Korean.

Thanks for the reply yellowsky. I would indeed prefer to do japanese but cannot as the uni does not offer this sadly...
Reply 3
foxmccloud
Thanks for the reply yellowsky. I would indeed prefer to do japanese but cannot as the uni does not offer this sadly...

Okay, well, does you uni only offer asian languages for you degree?
If so then iI would recommend Korean. And also, consider Hindi has well as it's one of the most spoken language after English/Spanish and countries like India are starting to develop quite rapidly.

If you can study other languages:
Go for German! Or Spanish (and I wouldn't recommend French simply because soo many people are studying it and German/Spanish are much more useful)! And I think the reasons are obvious again. :smile:

Nevertheless, beside the importance of studying a useful language for business, it is also important to choose one which you will thoroughly enjoy.
Good luck!
Reply 4
Yellowsky
Okay, well, does you uni only offer asian languages for you degree?
If so then iI would recommend Korean. And also, consider Hindi has well as it's one of the most spoken language after English/Spanish and countries like India are starting to develop quite rapidly.

If you can study other languages:
Go for German! Or Spanish (and I wouldn't recommend French simply because soo many people are studying it and German/Spanish are much more useful)! And I think the reasons are obvious again. :smile:

Nevertheless, beside the importance of studying a useful language for business, it is also important to choose one which you will thoroughly enjoy.
Good luck!

ye im pretty much restricted to korean or nothing (language-wise) at soas lol! Im doing french and german A2s so im building a nice portfolio of languages ha. I guess the main question is is it worth sacrificing some proficiency in chinese for korean knowledge.

thanks a lot though, appreciate the help!
Reply 5
foxmccloud
ye im pretty much restricted to korean or nothing (language-wise) at soas lol! Im doing french and german A2s so im building a nice portfolio of languages ha. I guess the main question is is it worth sacrificing some proficiency in chinese for korean knowledge.

thanks a lot though, appreciate the help!

Ah no problem.

Glad to know you have French and German groundings - they actually help a LOT with chinese and Korean, try and keep them up as well1
Have fun learning!

Latest