The Student Room Group

French: The past historic

K so I'm writing an essay about La Haine and want to give a bit of backgroud, so I'm talking about how the banliueues came about. Should I use said tense, because if you can use it correctly it gives you a few extra marks, but idk whether I am.

A couple of sentences from what I've written so far:

"À l’origine construite pour loger la grande augmentation de la population de la France pendant les 1950, elles ont devenu les villes de la violence, la pauvreté, et de racisme. Le besoin d’hébergement vint en partie en cause du grand nombre d’immigrés qui rapatrièrent de l’Algérie"

Thanks for anyone who can help (:

EDIT: Oh yeah also, is it possible to past historic in the passive form, ie Ils eurent construit...?
Reply 1
I personally wouldn't use it, it's not really suitable for that kind of writing, I don't think. Feel free to correct me though, because i'm not 100%!
Reply 2
Well, I rarely use it because it sounds pretty old, but I think you can. Just make sure what you write is correct, because it's not an "easy" tense to read, and especially if there are mistakes. If you're not sure, I can correct it for you if you want.
Reply 3
Okies thanks for the replies!

Latest

Trending

Trending