The Student Room Group

Heany and Clarke Poems

Does anyone have a table that can tell me which poems and what themes are good for comparing?

Would be really helpful.

and if anyone needs notes on:

Of Mice and Men
History AQA (Paper 1 and 2)

you can ask me, I have pretty good notes
Reply 1
I'm assuming your doing edexcel for English?

If not..I can say that Heaney poems revolve mainly around identity.
I'm not sure which speciifc ones you are studying, but

Death of a naturalist and digging would make a very good comparison.
And the themes you should focus on are, identity, growing up, traditions, nature and its relevance, and so forth....

Sorry but I cant remember the clarke ones I've studied.
Reply 2
Ceorl.Euphoria
I'm assuming your doing edexcel for English?

If not..I can say that Heaney poems revolve mainly around identity.
I'm not sure which speciifc ones you are studying, but

Death of a naturalist and digging would make a very good comparison.
And the themes you should focus on are, identity, growing up, traditions, nature and its relevance, and so forth....

Sorry but I cant remember the clarke ones I've studied.

I'm doing AQA and we'll have to compare one of Clarke's with one of Heany's (+ one of theirs + pre1914 bank)

Thnkas for the response though :smile:
Digging, Catrin, On My First Sonne, The Affliction of Margaret (The themes of family relationships, strong feelings, parent and child, change)
Storm on the Island, A difficult birth, Patrolling Barnegat, Sonnet (The themes of nature, different representations of nature)
Storm on the Island, The Field Mouse, Patrolling Barnegat, Sonnet (As above really)
Also, Death of a Naturalist is quite good for changing representations of nature; his feelings and views on nature changed as he got older.

We haven't done At a Potato Digging yet, so I'm not too sure about that one!
Reply 4
Thank you very much :smile:
Don't try and compare anything to "A Difficult Birth" - IT'S SUCH A RED HERRING. :biggrin:

Latest