The Student Room Group

Gutted - Passed but no longer able to join due to cartilage injury

Hi all,

I passed OASC in January and was due to begin RAF Regiment Officer training in July. Sadly, I've been having ankle problems following two bad sprains for a few months now and I tried everything, physio, accupuncture, RICE, orthotics etc, nothing worked.

I went for a keyhole operation last Saturday which confirmed the worst. I have a tear in the cartilage of the Talus/Tibia (ankle hinge joint) and that's what has been causing my pain. They've tried to repair it using Microfracture, but unfortunately cartilage doesn't heal very well at all.

I think my offer will be withdrawn. Anyone else had a similar experience or know of the RAF Medical Boards position on this? I am due to see my surgeon next Wed for an update and full rundown of what was done so am intending to call the RAF afterwards.

Thanks

Greg:frown:
Reply 1
Don't write it off just yet. Depending on recovery time you may find that Cranwell will be prepared to delay your entry - this has happened with many people.
Check your paperwork and what your obligations are, but if you can, I would wait as long as possible before informing the RAF. Don't assume the worst, but follow the recuperation programme to the letter and see how the ankle performs under fully fit pressure.

As I think you know, any joint problem is a pretty certain no for Regt - but not a certain no, which is why I advise getting yourself in the best possible shape so that you can tell OASC what you can do, not assume what you can't do.

You should also consider if you want to go for any other branch. It is possible that you can get yourself into a fitness situation where you could be fit for other branches, except Regt. If you had a strong OASC pass, do you want to talk them into letting you apply for another branch?
Reply 3
Hi Greg,

I woudnt worry about it just yet.

I had to tell the RAF straight away when I broke my leg, and they immediately wrote back with a new date for me to start IOT. I need to prove that I have been hill walking, running etc at least 3months before my medical, and then I'm sure I will be scrutinised.
Point is, I still have an offer and my injury was pretty impressive.
They have given you a provisional offer, so they obviously want you, and if that means delaying your entry a little I don't think it will be as bad as you think.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.
Reply 4
Thanks all.

The trouble with a cartilage injury is it doesn't heal back and regenerate itself, it takes a long time too. There are other options for surgery like cartilage transpant which I may look at. However, I have been advised not to run day in day out which is why I don't think they'll take me at IOT for another branch, perhaps I'm wrong.

Georgie - heard about your injury hun, crazy! Angela told me. Hope you're getting better quickly.

The RAF is all I've ever been interested in joining and I would think about a role as Intelligence Officer or Fighter Control.

Happy to delay entry, but I reckon it will be a good 6 months before I'm up to a reasonable standard of running again, can do lots of low-impact though on cycle/swim.

I suppose I should wait a month and see how the injury heals.

Cheers.

Greg
Reply 5
Hi all,

Thank you for all your response, especially you TPD who provided some excellent advice.

Sadly, for the sake of my long-term health, I've decided to close this Chapter and move on to a boring civvie job. Can't think of anything worse, but I don't want to go through this experience again (persistant ankle pain) and running/RAF training could lead to further problems down the line.

Thanks and good luck to all. Wishing you a happy career with the RAF.

Greg
Bad luck, but probably the best decision to make a clean break with it and turn whole heartedly to another plan. And remember (indeed, for all who have to take another career path), you are still going to be the same person with the same talents and determination in life with or without Flt Lt or whatever in front of your name.
Reply 7
Thanks TPD. We'll see what happens over the rest of 2008. I don't doubt that it's going to be a tough one but there will be other exciting opportunities, I hope.

Greg
Reply 8
Sorry to hear about that. I hope things work out for you.
Reply 9
Sheefa

Good call, I put my self through a lot of pain trying to get through IOT and in the end I decided to ask for a med board as I realised my joints and nerves wouldn't take much more. I don't regret coming out as I tried hard and got a lot out of my 2 years. But I really, really hate being in as much pain as I am now. It's not worth your long term health in my humble opinion.
Reply 10
Thanks GR29 and co. Agreed, your long term health is more important than a career or lifestyle aspiration and for me joining the RAF for any branch going through IOT could undo the surgery and put me back to square 1, or worse.

One of those things. Hope you're ok now.

Greg

Latest