The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

St. Peter's Vs. Broadgate Vs. Raleigh

I'm really torn between the three.... I'm 100% certain I want to go self-catered... but I want to be as close to Campus as possible [social life and proximity to the physics building].

Broadgate seems slightly more expensive and the en-suite are all sold now, i think? Which was pushing me towards St Peter's because of the free gym :biggrin:

So basically what I want to know is if the distance of St Peter's from the Park Campus is a good enough reason to put it as second choice behind Broadgate, despite its inferior rooms? If that makes sense...

so yeah, just looking for general advice on self-catered accomodation i guess :smile:
Reply 1
I lived at St Peters last year, it is a lot further away than any other accommodation, and we were told the gym is free and it wasnt, it was £20 a month or something, and it was a very small unequipped gym.

I would stay at Broadgate Park if I was you, regardless of whether you get an en suite or not. Although, Broadgate is on the west entrance n Physics is near to North, so youve still got a 15 minute walk from Broadgate to Physics, unless you get the bus.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hmmm okay thanks :smile:

Any other views?
Reply 3
Yeah I'm in Broadgate at the moment, and I have a few lectures in the Physics building. It takes about 15-20 minutes to walk there, but that is still much shorter than walking from St. Peter's/Raleigh!!!

Try to apply to the newer blocks at BGP if possible as the older one's are a bit decrepit.
Reply 4
St Peters does have a free hopper bus to Uni Park now so you shouldn't have to walk.
Reply 5
Does the hopper bus operate in the evening and at night? Or is it just during the day?

i.e. if I wanted to get to the union for a night out, am I walking it? :smile:
Reply 6
I think it does run in the evenings, but I can't remember when the last bus finishes. 10pm maybe???
Reply 7
I have a current year timetable here that says the last bus on a week night is 21.40 from SPC to UP and 21.50 from UP to SPC.
Reply 8
OMG!!! That's a pretty damn good guess from me if I don't say so myself!!! :proud:
Reply 9
I'd say Broadgate because it's so close to campus. I stayed in one of the older block and they weren't that scummy - smallish rooms but brand new kitchens. From what I've heard Broadgate Park is a funner place to be - better bar etc. People I know who stayed on Rayleigh didn't seem to have the best time as they kept to themselves in the flats (this is just one experience though).

You don't want to be relying on the hopper bus as it's a pain to wait for and doesn't seem to run to the schedule! Plus walking to uni is much nicer from Broadgate, you walk through the nice trees and greenery. Walking to campus from St. Peter's/Rayleigh you have to walk along polluted Derby Road!
Reply 10
I recently heard from a friend that people gt mugged all the time at Raleigh Park? Is this true?

Also does anyone know which self-catering hall is the closest to the Chemical Engineering teaching area?
Reply 11
Some people get mugged, probably more in that area, but I wouldn't say it should put you off. The nearest self-catering is either raleigh or broadgate I guess. Both are about 20 mins walk to it. Broadgate is right next to campus, so a 20-25 min walk through campus. Raleigh is about 20 mins out of campus, but chem engineering is right near the edge of that side of campus.
Reply 12
sarah8586
Some people get mugged, probably more in that area, but I wouldn't say it should put you off. The nearest self-catering is either raleigh or broadgate I guess. Both are about 20 mins walk to it. Broadgate is right next to campus, so a 20-25 min walk through campus. Raleigh is about 20 mins out of campus, but chem engineering is right near the edge of that side of campus.

Thanks
sarah8586
I'd say Broadgate because it's so close to campus. I stayed in one of the older block and they weren't that scummy - smallish rooms but brand new kitchens. From what I've heard Broadgate Park is a funner place to be - better bar etc. People I know who stayed on Rayleigh didn't seem to have the best time as they kept to themselves in the flats (this is just one experience though).

;laugh; ;laugh; @ the bolded part. That is not true at all. Broadgate is a prison. No one i've ever known likes living there.

id say SPC though, the hopper to and from main campus, to jubilee and town means you'll hardly have to walk.
Reply 14
I like living at BGP!!!

Though I agree with you that our bar is crappy. It's incredibly small for a place where 2000 students live!!!
Reply 15
Yeah well at least half of the 2000 must be international students who don't go to the bar anyway - never too busy apart from the parties. But the other people are just as fun as on any other halls. You just have to find them out of the 2000. Out of my block of 30 people, I would say at least 15 were normal and fun.

It just luck of the draw as to who's in your block. My friend got stuck with 4 foreign students who didn't come out of their rooms, but he still had a great time because he made the effort to go to the bar on the first night by himself and talk to random people.

Latest

Trending

Trending