The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Spencer Wells
That £250,000 figure is really, really old. My teaching hospitals get £200,000 per student per year to take us on for clinical studies, so that's already £600,000. Our union spends £50k per student for each of the 6 years too. Add to that a couple of years of preclinical and an intercalated BSc and soon you're talking about real money.

What does that go on? I'm intrigued.
Reply 41
Renal
Plus dental students. Plus post-graduate students. The rough count is 2,500 in total.

My GOD :eek: that would make it £125,000,000 per year. I think I need to swap unions!
Reply 42
Egypt
My GOD :eek: that would make it £125,000,000 per year. I think I need to swap unions!

No wonder UCL could afford to go solo:p:
Reply 43
Our union spends £14.82 per person but we do get the left-over sandwiches from the book shop after 4.30pm...
Reply 44
Can we not move abroad? I've always liked the prospect of working in america
Reply 45
You could, I think you'd have to take more xams to prove competency.
Wangers
What does that go on? I'm intrigued.

One does wonder sometimes.
... and the thread title looked so promising. :wink:
Reply 48
Egypt
My GOD :eek: that would make it £125,000,000 per year.
Sounds like new sound kit to me.
Reply 49
seanw
Can we not move abroad? I've always liked the prospect of working in america

You can if you want to, though it's not massively easy. But I don't want to leave Britain at the moment.
Reply 50
Helenia
You can if you want to, though it's not massively easy. But I don't want to leave Britain at the moment.

What is there in Britain? Apart from friends, family (and uni obviously).

From what I've heard the important things we care about, tax, value for money, food, weather, and job availability are greater in the states.

I'm not enticing an argument, I'm just interested. Why wouldn't you want to leave Britain when you grad?
WTF!!! maybe you care more about tax and the weather than your family/friends/partner but i'd say that was a bit mixed up. i hope your money brings you happiness seeing as you'll have cut everything else out of your life.
Reply 52
seanw
What is there in Britain? Apart from friends, family (and uni obviously).

From what I've heard the important things we care about, tax, value for money, food, weather, and job availability are greater in the states.

I'm not enticing an argument, I'm just interested. Why wouldn't you want to leave Britain when you grad?

I can't speak for Helenia, but for me the country's wonderful countryside and its heritage. Specifically Northumberland's. It would be hard to leave behind Also, believe it or not, there are still some areas of the country that offer quite high standards of living.

Also I don't know where you get job availability from. The career areas that I'm looking at there's quite a skills shortage in this country. In fact there is generally, especially engineering (certainly was). Not that the government want to do anything about it though...

That's still doesn't mean I wouldn't consider emigrating (although probably not to the US).
Reply 53
River85
I can't speak for Helenia, but for me the country's wonderful countryside and its heritage. Specifically Northumberland's. It would be hard to leave behind Also, believe it or not, there are still some areas of the country that offer quite high standards of living.

Also I don't know where you get job availability from. The career areas that I'm looking at there's quite a skills shortage in this country. In fact there is generally, especially engineering (certainly was). Not that the government want to do anything about it though...

That's still doesn't mean I wouldn't consider emigrating (although probably not to the US).

I agree that some places in the UK are really nice, Cambridge, Oxford, the Pennines, Cumbria; but considering I'm moving to London, home to the industrial revolution and a myriad of factories, California would be a nice break.

As for job shortages, the whole thread was about job problems for graduating med students; the prospects in america, australia and new zealand are fantastic for medicine.
Reply 54
bright star
WTF!!! maybe you care more about tax and the weather than your family/friends/partner but i'd say that was a bit mixed up. i hope your money brings you happiness seeing as you'll have cut everything else out of your life.

...I don't care more about money than friends and family? You think everyone who moves country values money more than family? please...
Do you really want to go there in the midst of credit crises and recession and all?

I don't live in GB, but just wondering why you would go there in general.
Reply 56
seanw
I agree that some places in the UK are really nice, Cambridge, Oxford, the Pennines, Cumbria; but considering I'm moving to London, home to the industrial revolution and a myriad of factories, California would be a nice break.

As for job shortages, the whole thread was about job problems for graduating med students; the prospects in america, australia and new zealand are fantastic for medicine.

Well sure, maybe from a medical point of view. I'm not one for large cities (hence me love for Northumberland and Durham) and I wouldn't want to live in London. However, there are far worse cities and towns to live in than London, believe me.

Also London isn't the home of the industrial revolution, or isn't the birthplace anyway. I can also give you a list of areas with a higher concentration of factories.
Reply 57
River85
Well sure, maybe from a medical point of view. I'm not one for large cities (hence me love for Northumberland and Durham) and I wouldn't want to live in London. However, there are far worse cities and towns to live in than London, believe me.

Also London isn't the home of the industrial revolution, or isn't the birthplace anyway. I can also give you a list of areas with a higher concentration of factories.

Me neither, I'm only there for uni.... and I know it's not the birth place, It's actually along the river Severn near Shropshire, where the Iron bridge was built. Nonetheless, London doesn't look very nice; the weather is horrible most of the time, and although in select areas it DOES look nice, most of London looks like an Industrial estate.

It's just not my cup of tea. The beaches of California and Australia are however :P
What is with you guys and sunshine, and beaches. Give me rain and snow, I really like rain.
Reply 59
If you go over to australia to train i heard that it doesnt count as training if you come back to Britain, is this true? And also, are there actually that many jobs out there?

Latest

Trending

Trending