The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Is there anything in particular that you are struggling with. I am doing this subject as well. For me it is the subject I am worrying about the least.

In terms of revision make sure you have lots of up to examples so that you can use them in your essay because they can alter the mark you get. Examples are also required for the DME.

I have some example DME that I can send you just PM me or leave a comment and I will send you them.

Hope this helps and remember if you need any help I am sure your teachers have resources that you could use.
With Modern Studies you'll find that you will take in more than you think you are. I went into the exam completly stumped thinking "I don't know anything!" but once you get writing the essays and the DME, it all comes flooding to your fingertips.

With the new style of exam, students in 2007 (like myself) tended to do best in the DME. I got 29/30 on the DME and an A overall. Honestly, you'll be absolutely fine and you will geta good grade as long as you keep reading your notes and doing practice essay questions.

Good luck!
Reply 3
I find making up mind maps really helpful.
Ever tried that?
Reply 4
Have been doing some past papers this afternoon and am feeling a wee bit better. The DME is not too bad so just keeping my fingers crossed that I get some good essay questions!

Anyone else find that it is one of these subjects that you can just kind of waffle on a lot of the time, if that makes sense?
Reply 5
I did standard grade and got straight 1's on every test, now i'm struggling with higher.
I understand all the knowledge and study themes we do in class.
But when it comes to paper 1 i just can't seem to crack it. I've sat two prelim paper 1's and got a C on both.
I just cant seem to write a good essay in 22 mins, and I don't know how to structure them.

Any hints..?
Reply 6
Its important that you have balance in your essays. You must argue each side.
For example To what extend to the media influence voting behaviour?

The first part of your essay would say how the media to influence and then the second part will be other influences ie social class gender.

It is important that you have plenty of up to date examples because they really push up your mark.

I tend to go into parts in more depth and leave out other parts rather than have lots of points and be vague and for me that always seems to get high marks.

I have some sample essays that I can send to you.

What study themes are you doing?
Reply 7
Hey, thanks.

we do:

Scottish Govt.
Voting Systems/Behaviour
Health/Wealth
South Africa
Politics of Development

Also i'm stressing out because all our teacher has ever taught us is how to answer Discuss or to what extent questions, if in the exam theres a critically examine or assess, my class would have absolutley no idea how to tackle them. I know that all question types are asking you to analyse and balance but with study leave looming i feel its too late to sort this out in time.

Standard Grade was soooo easy, it just used to be source quote comment or point explain example...
Reply 8
I do voting systems and health and wealth and politics of development. If you want to ask anything then just PM me and I will try and help you. try not to worry about it.
Reply 9
ste-ve
Also i'm stressing out because all our teacher has ever taught us is how to answer Discuss or to what extent questions, if in the exam theres a critically examine or assess, my class would have absolutley no idea how to tackle them. I know that all question types are asking you to analyse and balance but with study leave looming i feel its too late to sort this out in time.

Don't worry, they aren't completely different questions. You still have to make 4 balanced points whatever the essay is, eg.

"To what extent has the south african government succeeded in preventing inequalities"

is the same as...

"Critically examine the success of policies in south africa to prevent inequalities."

I guess there aren't many things you can have big essays on, so they just reword them a bit differently.
Reply 10
Hope everyone is getting on ok with their revision, exam is getting closer...argh! I am feeling a bit more confident as I have been getting good marks for the past papers that I have done...hope I can keep it up!
hey!

im really stuck on the modern studies question about south africa being a land of two nations: one white and rich and black and poor.

thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending