The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think I'll be spending much since you get loads of free food and stuff during freshers week.

I'll probably spend more on going out :biggrin:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I spent about £400 ish and that kept me going for 3 weeks worth of drinking every night, fancy dress costumes and food etc
lunar_angelic
heyy was just wondering how much everyone is planning to take/spend during freshers week as im gathering we wont have our loans to blow (think there was a method in their madness there though!!) Is everyone having a budget or just gonna go silly?!!?

Take lots at the beginning in general. Like, you can have a budget for the rest of the year but that won't cover fresher's week, bus passes etc, kitchen things you've forgotten, stocking up on food, books and uni stuff... and I took most of that with me and I still spent loads. (and I didn't drink, haha)
Reply 4
Yeah i don't think i dared look at how much i spent in freshers week, if you turn up to intro things you'll realise you need far too many expensive books... and then you can't be bothered to cook for the first week so you get take aways, and then the nights out... it adds up :smile: i know people who spent over £500 but if you take a bit of notice you'll spend faaar less :smile:
Reply 5
I spent about a grand in the first week, and 2 grand in the next month after that.
Reply 6
21:13
I don't think I'll be spending much since you get loads of free food and stuff during freshers week.

I'll probably spend more on going out :biggrin:

free foood?
where? LOL
Reply 7
xthatgurlx
free foood?
where? LOL

I haven't seen any of the free food flying about either. There's 30000 students that go to Leeds so perhaps it all got eaten by the time I woke up.
Elipsis
I spent about a grand in the first week, and 2 grand in the next month after that.

Thats craazy!
A grand? ****. How much do you people drink? Or is just so you can boast about how much you spent...
Reply 10
guitarromantic
A grand? ****. How much do you people drink? Or is just so you can boast about how much you spent...

I had about 30-50 units per night all through the first term. I worked for most of the grand and the rest was from over draft so it's not like i'm a rich kid.
I just tried to work that out and it sounds like you're suggesting you drank 10+ pints every night for a three month period. If that's true then a) your liver is probably ****ed and b) do you really need to drink that much? I mean yeah, Fresher's Week, it's a huge cliché but it's focused on drinking. But to that degree? Really?
i never saw any free food at freshers week
but 250-300 should do it i would reckon.
just be careful to sign up for ridiculous things you will never go to!
Freshers week is rubbish.

But you'll definitely need at least 16 thousand pounds to enjoy it.
Reply 14
guitarromantic
I just tried to work that out and it sounds like you're suggesting you drank 10+ pints every night for a three month period. If that's true then a) your liver is probably ****ed and b) do you really need to drink that much? I mean yeah, Fresher's Week, it's a huge cliché but it's focused on drinking. But to that degree? Really?

It's not like I was even that wasted. I was generally drinking 3 bottles of wine before I even got out, which I admit was stupid, but it's just the way it was. I don't enjoy drinking anymore, and i've pretty much stopped aside from having the occasionally pint of cider on a sunny day. The whole mentality of the freshers environment seems really crap to me now, but it's not like i'm in a position to judge being as I had a pretty big problem. By the end of the term it became apparent that I had to stop living that life style, I was losing hair and my skin had gone horrible. I really don't understand why everybody is so focused on what is perhaps the worst drug in existence.
Oh yeah societies, get a flyer from them but tell them you don't have any money with you, pay at the first meeting if you ever get around to going.
Reply 16
best tip: when ur rents move you up to leeds, get them to buy you LOADS of food and booze, that way u dont need to worry about food lol
Reply 17
:eek: I can't believe how expensive it seems to be! I'm working loads trying to save up some cash but I'll only have a few hundred as money for fun stuff for the first term. Arrgghh!
Reply 18
If its your first year at Leeds, then you'll be spending a significant amount the first week!

Remember that you'll probably make a few mistakes in where you go, crap places that you pay £10 to get in, then leave straight away!

Definitely get in touch with people you know in leeds to find the good places: heres my view (IMO Leeds is good, but sometimes takes itself much too seriously!)
Wire for scenesters but good music/

Call Lane(a street of bars) which is relaxed and cool.

Leeds Uni to meet fellow freshers altho this is rubbish after the first week

Greek Street (if your nursing a trust fund or a business school student?)

Cockpit for singalong indie...more scenesters/media students in check shirts

Manchester (a lot cheaper...only a trainride away, although you wont really make many friends lol)
chang87
If its your first year at Leeds, then you'll be spending a significant amount the first week!

Remember that you'll probably make a few mistakes in where you go, crap places that you pay £10 to get in, then leave straight away!

Definitely get in touch with people you know in leeds to find the good places: heres my view (IMO Leeds is good, but sometimes takes itself much too seriously!)
Wire for scenesters but good music/

Call Lane(a street of bars) which is relaxed and cool.

Leeds Uni to meet fellow freshers altho this is rubbish after the first week

Greek Street (if your nursing a trust fund or a business school student?)

Cockpit for singalong indie...more scenesters/media students in check shirts

Manchester (a lot cheaper...only a trainride away, although you wont really make many friends lol)

I wouldn't say Manchester is cheaper, they're about the same, (and by the time you've paid train fare it works out more expensive).

Latest