The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well, obviously a bit of background reading can't hurt anyone, regardless of university and subject choice, but for Medicine I suppose relevant work experience might be particularly useful.
Reply 2
Hmm, I think medical school applicants in general tend to be a fairly rounded bunch of over achievers & increasingly applicants seem incredibly single minded about getting in! :wink: So I'm not sure there are any obvious things that can be picked up for the purposes of looking good that would really make you 'stand out' as such - other than aiming to just being that little bit better than the competition in every area they're going to look at...

The websites of both medical schools outline their selection process & criteria.

So for Oxford:
- Have amazing GCSE grades
- Perform very well on the BMAT
- Have a strong UCAS application (reference - mentioning any exenuating circumstances if appropriate, personal statement)

- Then interview well!
Thorough understanding & deeper reading into A level topics might help with that because the basic sciences build on science A levels, as might broader research about medicine/NHS (politics, ethics etc.) - how is it different to economics or English preparation?
& I suppose something amazingly exciting on your personal statement could be a conversation piece - although my interviews didn't ask me anything about mine.

Work experience is pretty much a given - although Oxbridge don't seem to explicitly use it as a selection criteria, unlike some other places. If you wanted something potentially more Oxbridge-tutor exciting I suppose you could seek out some research experience too as well as clinical e.g. Nuffield projects if they still run?
do u think it some reading into the medicine course at oxbridge would help when it comes to taking the interview, i mean if i read some books regarding the course?
I don't think that there are any books about Oxford's medicine course. Unless the prospectus counts as a book.
Reply 5
You could read one of the Oxford Medicine Text books
shabanrauf
You could read one of the Oxford Medicine Text books

Though you could use your time in any number of more productive ways instead.

Latest

Trending

Trending