The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is there anybody at imperial or warwick who studied only A-level maths as i'd like to know whether it would put a person at a disadvantage, given that most people on the course would have done further maths. Also, is it difficult to catch up?
Reply 21
AFAIK if you don't have Further Maths you'll have STEP/AEA as part of your offer.
Magic Shoes
Is there anybody at imperial or warwick who studied only A-level maths as i'd like to know whether it would put a person at a disadvantage, given that most people on the course would have done further maths. Also, is it difficult to catch up?

no its not difficult at all. this book will cover EVERYTHING you need and you can cover it easily in the summer. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Further-Pure-Mathematics-Brian-Gaulter/dp/0199147353
solo2wolf
no its not difficult at all. this book will cover EVERYTHING you need and you can cover it easily in the summer. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Further-Pure-Mathematics-Brian-Gaulter/dp/0199147353

I've loaned that book and found it helpful. I found some of the worked examples/explanations a little brief and prefer the separate heinemann ones, but it's sufficient.

btw what drugs is this reviewer on?!
silent ninja
I've loaned that book and found it helpful. I found some of the worked examples/explanations a little brief and prefer the separate heinemann ones, but it's sufficient.

btw what drugs is this reviewer on?!

yes thanks for picking up on that there are a few topics that had sod all in the way of examples before throwing a barrage of questions at you (reduction formulae for example had like two examples).
Reply 25
I've put Warwick firm but i've heard a fair few people say, the work load is extortionate and could lead you losing interest. For this reason im not so keen on going there
psanghaLFC
I've put Warwick firm but i've heard a fair few people say, the work load is extortionate and could lead you losing interest. For this reason im not so keen on going there

That's gonna be the case at the top few universities for maths I'm afraid. They are, after all, aiming at the more able students in the country and so their courses are more demanding.
Studying one subject for 3/4 years is bound to get a little boring or annoying at times, but that's the case with any subject not just maths.
Reply 27
I wouldn't necessarily say there needs to be a link between a good department and an extortionate work load, Warwick probably just thinks there should be. Infact the sign of a good department should probably be the opposite in some ways
psanghaLFC
I wouldn't necessarily say there needs to be a link between a good department and an extortionate work load, Warwick probably just thinks there should be. Infact the sign of a good department should probably be the opposite in some ways

Warwick, Oxbridge, Imperial... whatever, they all are known to have fairly large workloads. How do you know it's 'extortionate'? I'm sure most students get on fine with good time management. It's not going to be a picnic if that's what you thought. If you're not prepared to work very hard, they are not the kind of universities you should be looking at.
psanghaLFC

The logic of the above does not make sense whatsoever. A good university should have massive workload by any standards because that means that they are covering more topics. If they are covering more topics that means they are learning more than students at lower tier universities. If they know more topics they will have a more useful degree in the eyes of an employer. If they have a more useful degree than other this means that their degree is better than others because content wise it overshadows the lesser ones.

Thus, a big workload does mean that they have a good department.
Reply 30
How does that make sense? So i could get someone to just learn 20-40 topics within mathematics and claim they are more employable because they have been exposed to a lot of different areas? That's rubbish, infact going in depth into a few areas is much better in every sense than brushing over a lot more.
psanghaLFC
How does that make sense? So i could get someone to just learn 20-40 topics within mathematics and claim they are more employable because they have been exposed to a lot of different areas? That's rubbish, infact going in depth into a few areas is much better in every sense than brushing over a lot more.

You are making some wild assumptions in this thread. How do you know they don't go into more depth? Where do you get the idea they brush over stuff? Maybe they cover MORE topics and go into more depth?
The top uni's for maths are all known to have large workloads. Perhaps you should look elsewhere if this isn't to you as they will push you.
Reply 32
Im working with the generally accepted assumption that

To go into more depth it will require more time

given that most universitites work within the same time period, i think if one university does say about 6-9 topics and another 14-15. Then i ensure that all courses are taught within the same time period. Im not mentioning anything to do with the extent of the lesser depth however.
Reply 33
psanghaLFC
Im working with the generally accepted assumption that

To go into more depth it will require more time

given that most universitites work within the same time period, i think if one university does say about 6-9 topics and another 14-15. Then i ensure that all courses are taught within the same time period. Im not mentioning anything to do with the extent of the lesser depth however.
Your use of the word "topic" gives the impression that you don't have any clue what you are talking about.
Reply 34
well topic is a very commonly used term when describing branches of a field of study
Reply 35
psanghaLFC
well topic is a very commonly used term when describing branches of a field of study
I think the word topic is a terrible term to use in the sense you are using it, but prove me wrong: Give an example of "6-9 topics" which might be studied by an undergraduate Maths student at a university, and then "14-15" topics that might be studied by another student, but with the requirement that the extra topics that the second student learns do not clearly build on the earlier topics (i.e. they are not providing depth to the earlier topics).
Reply 36
I don't know much about the courses at univeristy, but i think the question is what exactley do we mean by going in depth, into something.
Reply 37
Someone mentioned Warwick's course flexibility earlier, I'm a first year at Warwick and I have to say I don't know what I'd do if the course wasn't so flexible... being able to do modules from the Economics department and Warwick Business School is really good and means you can get credit for courses that are arguably easier but still interesting and useful. Knowing this I wouldn't go to Imperial (assuming they don't have this flexibility seeing as they're a Science school).
aqfrenzy
Someone mentioned Warwick's course flexibility earlier, I'm a first year at Warwick and I have to say I don't know what I'd do if the course wasn't so flexible... being able to do modules from the Economics department and Warwick Business School is really good and means you can get credit for courses that are arguably easier but still interesting and useful. Knowing this I wouldn't go to Imperial (assuming they don't have this flexibility seeing as they're a Science school).

Yeah i mentioned it. That was one of the biggest selling points for me because I want to study some economics/business modules. It's good to widen your knowledge and not just study one subject constantly, albeit it's various different facets.
Yea go to Warwick

Latest