The Student Room Group

McGill's reputation in Asia??

Considering that I might move back to Asia to work, which one has a higher reputation in Asia-UBC or McGill?

Also, which uni is better for business/commerce/ management?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :smile:
p.s. are there any aisians in McGill by any chance cause I know that UBC is nicknamed "university of a billion chinese".

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Frankly, Canadian universities are not really that well regarded in many parts of Asia. McGill is not popular in the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, India and most parts of China. UBC is also not well regarded but I'm afraid it has better name recognition in Asia than has McGill.

In reality, they're equally great unis hence it is nonsense to choose which university to pick based on prestige alone. I’d say pick where you think you’ll enjoy spending your college years.
Reply 2
whats ubc anyway?
University of British Columbia.
Reply 4
hmmmm i thought i knew good unis everywhere in the world, obviously this one has escaped my notice. Is it a well regarded one? ive defo heard of mcgill, i look favourably on that institution.
While I don't hold much truck for the league tables, UBC is meant to be very good.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=144

That said my only real experience of Canadian universities thusfar is having a friend who went to McGill (he loved it).
McGill is pretty well-known in Hong Kong....so is UBC actually. But I'd say go for McGill.
ILIGAN
Frankly, Canadian universities are not really that well regarded in many parts of Asia. McGill is not popular in the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, India and most parts of China. UBC is also not well regarded but I'm afraid it has better name recognition in Asia than has McGill.

In reality, they're equally great unis hence it is nonsense to choose which university to pick based on prestige alone. I’d say pick where you think you’ll enjoy spending your college years.

I agree, but there is a difference between being well-regarded and well-known.
Reply 8
IlexAquifolium
While I don't hold much truck for the league tables, UBC is meant to be very good.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=144

That said my only real experience of Canadian universities thusfar is having a friend who went to McGill (he loved it).

lol @ that league table! where the hell is lse, why is ucl so high up and imperial above mit. That is one screwed up league table. Anyway i'll take your word on it.
To op, McGill seems to have a better reputation all round (at least me for). Not sure whether this is the case over in asia though.
Reply 9
prettyanxious
I agree, but there is a difference between being well-regarded and well-known.

I know and both adjectives are applicable to both schools, in some parts of Asia, I'm afraid. Such "reputation" may be not applicable in HK and Singapore though due to 1.) higher educational level of the people in those two cities/countries 2.) their relatively small population 3.) higher international mobility of their citizens/residents
ILIGAN
I know and both adjectives are applicable to both schools, in some parts of Asia, I'm afraid. Such "reputation" may be not applicable in HK and Singapore though due to 1.) higher educational level of the people in those two cities/countries 2.) their relatively small population 3.) higher international mobility of their citizens/residents

Do you mean to say that both adjectives are not applicable to both schools? I would say that because of the higher international mobility of its citizens/residents (although I can't really speak for Singapore), both schools are fairly well-known, but not especially well-regarded. In Hong Kong, Canadian universities are known for being easy to get into (compared to UK/US universities, and the top local universities as well). Again, having a good/bad reputation is different from being well-known.
ILIGAN

Tiny robots I tell you.
Reply 12
Yeah if you have to choose between UBC and McGill for the program you specified above...it would really matter that much but since UBC is more of a science university...I'd say go McGill. If you can maybe you should try to get into Richard Ivey. It's overall a good business and management school. Obviously Queen's's commerce program is like tops and they are one of the only internationally recognized Canadian universities. Then again if you were looking for international recognition...probably should have gone for Berkeley, NYU, Penn State, or the ivies.
Reply 13
erenbuyukbicer
Yeah if you have to choose between UBC and McGill for the program you specified above...it would really matter that much but since UBC is more of a science university...I'd say go McGill. If you can maybe you should try to get into Richard Ivey. It's overall a good business and management school. Obviously Queen's's commerce program is like tops and they are one of the only internationally recognized Canadian universities. Then again if you were looking for international recognition...probably should have gone for Berkeley, NYU, Penn State, or the ivies.

I've been accepted into University of Western Ontario but the thing is...no one knows the university in Asia, plus I would like to do both science and business. I only applied to Canadian universities and one in Hong Kong (HKUST) because they are cheaper. Keeping in mind that as an international student, I have to pay the full tuition fees.

Thanks very much for the comments anyways.
Reply 14
Thanks to everyone for the comments!! It's greatly appreciated =D !!!
Reply 15
prettyanxious
Do you mean to say that both adjectives are not applicable to both schools? I would say that because of the higher international mobility of its citizens/residents (although I can't really speak for Singapore), both schools are fairly well-known, but not especially well-regarded. In Hong Kong, Canadian universities are known for being easy to get into (compared to UK/US universities, and the top local universities as well). Again, having a good/bad reputation is different from being well-known.

Sorry for confusing you a little bit. What I meant to say is that due to the 3 reasons I previously stated, Singapore and HK people have better information about Canadian universities than the rest of the people in Asia.

In short,

Canadian schools are well-known in Singapore and HK, but probably with the exception of Toronto, McGill and UBC, they are not overwhelmingly considered as well-regarded as some US/UK schools are.

Outside of those 2 cities (in Asia) Canadian schools are not well-known, thus are not well-regarded as well.
Reply 16
shuantw
I've been accepted into University of Western Ontario but the thing is...no one knows the university in Asia, plus I would like to do both science and business. I only applied to Canadian universities and one in Hong Kong (HKUST) because they are cheaper. Keeping in mind that as an international student, I have to pay the full tuition fees.

Thanks very much for the comments anyways.

I've heard that Western Ontario's business school -- the Richard Ivey School of Business is the best in Canada, followed closely by York, Toronto, McGill and UBC. But that's just for business/management studies. For engineering, I've Toronto has got better rep than has UWO.
ILIGAN
I've heard that Western Ontario's business school -- the Richard Ivey School of Business is the best in Canada, followed closely by York, Toronto, McGill and UBC. But that's just for business/management studies. For engineering, I've Toronto has got better rep than has UWO.

For engineering, Queen's, Waterloo, and U of T are the best choices. :biggrin:
Reply 18
dafunkyguy
For engineering, Queen's, Waterloo, and U of T are the best choices. :biggrin:

I'd probably lean a little more towards U of T or Waterloo for engineering myself...a little more Waterloo than U of T. Yeah but if you really want a good business school, go Richard Ivey or Schulich. I think trying to get international recognition with a university that isn't U of T, Queens, or Waterloo is a little bit to ambitious. If you wanted international recognition you really should have tried for one of the top American public universities or even one of the lower ivies.
erenbuyukbicer
I'd probably lean a little more towards U of T or Waterloo for engineering myself...a little more Waterloo than U of T. Yeah but if you really want a good business school, go Richard Ivey or Schulich. I think trying to get international recognition with a university that isn't U of T, Queens, or Waterloo is a little bit to ambitious. If you wanted international recognition you really should have tried for one of the top American public universities or even one of the lower ivies.

I think THOSE UNIVERSITIES in the US are a little too overrated. One of those MBA programs are like $150,000 I think. :eek: Besides...Richard Ivey and Schulich are the elite in Canada. You should definitely try it out.

Latest

Trending

Trending