The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Green Bays Building company... my ICT teacher said that the easy marks lie on the first section which summarises the situation. - Be careful, put relevent information about the restriction e.g. no more than 200 of the same house type, 95 million budget, 100 carbon footprint, talk about the housing type briefly, say what you have been employed to do. David Green aims to make a profit. He knows that peole are willing to pay more if they save energy blah blah blah. Basically concentrate at the information with figures and numbers.

He also 'mut'tered lolz they might ask you to look at the good and bad things about the model.

e.g. One advantage is that it lets you know when you have gone over the limit on something. Another it has combo boxes of drop lists to limit the chances of entering any errors.

One Disadvantage is that it doesn't limit you on going over 200 house types.
Another is that it uses jargon I.e MARGIN, how the heck are you suppose to know that it is the profit margin if you aren't a professional in this field??? :confused:

Note you will need to list more than this and then suggest improvements.

To get good at spreadsheets visit teach-ict.com, select video tutorials and learn how to do as much as you can! this is vital as they will ask you to perform a numbr of operations e.g. work out the average of blah blah, print area showing grindlines (on one page)

You will need to produce 3 scenarios analysing which one is best in connection witht the profit, carbon print etc make graphs and comparisons in the report.

Last but not least always put your name, candidate number, centre number on the footer and the activity on the header on all pages!

REMEMBER IT IS NOT ABOUT QUANTITY, ITS ABOUT QUALITY, so show them that you know your stuff (even if you don't really) :biggrin: hope that helps for now!
Reply 2
Ms K
Green Bays Building company... my ICT teacher said that the easy marks lie on the first section which summarises the situation. - Be careful, put relevent information about the restriction e.g. no more than 200 of the same house type, 95 million budget, 100 carbon footprint, talk about the housing type briefly, say what you have been employed to do. David Green aims to make a profit. He knows that peole are willing to pay more if they save energy blah blah blah. Basically concentrate at the information with figures and numbers.

He also 'mut'tered lolz they might ask you to look at the good and bad things about the model.

e.g. One advantage is that it lets you know when you have gone over the limit on something. Another it has combo boxes of drop lists to limit the chances of entering any errors.

One Disadvantage is that it doesn't limit you on going over 200 house types.
Another is that it uses jargon I.e MARGIN, how the heck are you suppose to know that it is the profit margin if you aren't a professional in this field??? :confused:

Note you will need to list more than this and then suggest improvements.

To get good at spreadsheets visit teach-ict.com, select video tutorials and learn how to do as much as you can! this is vital as they will ask you to perform a numbr of operations e.g. work out the average of blah blah, print area showing grindlines (on one page)

You will need to produce 3 scenarios analysing which one is best in connection witht the profit, carbon print etc make graphs and comparisons in the report.

Last but not least always put your name, candidate number, centre number on the footer and the activity on the header on all pages!

REMEMBER IT IS NOT ABOUT QUANTITY, ITS ABOUT QUALITY, so show them that you know your stuff (even if you don't really) :biggrin: hope that helps for now!

ok thanks. what do you mean by 'You will need to produce 3 scenarios analysing which one is best in connection witht the profit, carbon print etc make graphs and comparisons in the report', have you already done the exam?
Reply 3
not yet! Its on the 22/23rd May
the biggest section of the exam is actually using the model you have been given to make three different situations where you fill in the model completely meeting all the demands.

I.e the given budget of 95 million, the carbon footprint(100) as well as having no more than 200 of the same type of house!

You will then print screen them and discuss as well as analyse what you have done, how you have met the regulations that were set and how much profit can be made by following your ideas. The report will also have to include some graphs of comparisons, trends etc!

Use your knowledge and common sense to sound professional in your approach to the model, i hope you have looked through the spreadsheet model in formula view, that might aid in explaining a lot of things!

hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 4
carbon footprint can't be no more than 1000 tonnes I had said 100 my bad!
Reply 5
When is everyone taking the unit 3 ict exam
Reply 6
exp1
the pre-release is now on the edexcel website. i have attached it here:
Unit 3 May 2008.pdf

any ideas on it?

(btw what did everyone get in jan 08? i got an e)
h

do u have the spreadsheet if yes plz let me knoe
no1 gets the spreadsheet till the exam ryt? but i still have old papers and models for practice
Reply 8
:smile:
Reply 9
winnie.oudemans
no1 gets the spreadsheet till the exam ryt? but i still have old papers and models for practice

i got the spreadsheet n text files for this exam
Reply 10
pm me wid ur email if u want the files. :smile: Sharing is Caring :smile:
Reply 11
if anyone needs help and wants to disscuss this exam with me please speak to me on msn my msn is [email protected]
Reply 12
my teacha said dt u can gt da profit 2 around 90million...any 1 dun dt???

i gt it up 2 8million bt dts nt enuff supposedly !!!!!

and has any1 else gt any tips 2 revise 4 dis exam ??
Reply 13
I honestly haven't got a clue with this exam !
It seems however many houses I have of each type I lose money...
I have the margin set to 9% and everything set to yes (Solar Panels / Wind Turbines etc.)
Anyone wanna explain the model to a simpleton like me ?!
I have no clue !
Reply 14
Claireee_x
I honestly haven't got a clue with this exam !
It seems however many houses I have of each type I lose money...
I have the margin set to 9% and everything set to yes (Solar Panels / Wind Turbines etc.)
Anyone wanna explain the model to a simpleton like me ?!
I have no clue !

Forget that !
Worked it out lol
Sorry for being such an idiot..
haha
Claireee_x
Forget that !
Worked it out lol
Sorry for being such an idiot..
haha

well... if u worked it out haha... mind giving me a hand =S
Reply 16
Can someone help me with Activity 4

here are the sample question I received from my teacher:

• The alternative you have considered
• The decision you came to
• An explanation of why you made these decisions
• Any other factors that David may need to take into account

Thanks in advance for response
Reply 17
how long is the exam?
Emma91
how long is the exam?

Two and a half hours, but thats half an hour for printing time so technially 2 hrs
Reply 19
Hi Guys, Im stuck.. can someone please tell me how to work the revenue and the profit?
Is the profit - Revenue + Cost?

also im stuck on Activity 5, "Any alternative solutions you can think of?" "The decision I came too and why?" and also what can I put in my graphs..

Thanks in advance :smile: and good luck to everyone

Latest

Trending

Trending