The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably be titration, calorimetry or gas syringe type experiments.

Marcus
I have uploaded 2 past paper questions - one of which is to do with titration and the Mr calculation . The questions are EXACTLY what they ask with different figures obviously - if you study the method and what they are looking for then you'r done.

I have more but it depends on what people find hard ...

They usually ask:

water of crystallisation

empirical formula of X

relative molecular mass of an acid

concentration of a solution of a base

enthalpy of solution

enthalpy of neutralisatrion

enthalpy of combustion of various alcohols

Rates of reaction

Titration to get the concentration of alkali

Oxidation of ethanol

percentage purity of a sample of a carbonate

Anyway Good luck everybody :smile:
Reply 3
Lord Hysteria
I have uploaded 2 past paper questions - one of which is to do with titration and the Mr calculation . The questions are EXACTLY what they ask with different figures obviously - if you study the method and what they are looking for then you'r done.

I have more but it depends on what people find hard ...

They usually ask:

water of crystallisation

empirical formula of X

relative molecular mass of an acid

concentration of a solution of a base

enthalpy of solution

enthalpy of neutralisatrion

enthalpy of combustion of various alcohols

Rates of reaction

Titration to get the concentration of alkali

Oxidation of ethanol

percentage purity of a sample of a carbonate

Anyway Good luck everybody :smile:

Could u put up the crystallisation one please. Also do u have any for A2 AQA chemistry plz?
Hmmmm
but I am going to have to shift through my notes and stuff & It is on a different laptop :frown:
I do have the A2 AQA Chemistry too.
I am giving the general guide to how to do planning (in this example) of an investigation involving X.

The year is irrelevant.
Lulu*et*Moi
Really? So the implementing can't be a titration..? I heard it was :confused: don't know how reliable that was though..

why not? it can be a planning too.
What I'm most worried about is whether there is any identification of compounds or whatever... I know theres been one where you carry out the reactions and write down observations, but is it possible you ever have to identify what the compound is? Because if there is I really need to go through all my gcse notes etc.
Reply 8
Hey all that are interested.

Well, my college hasn't so much as dropped any hints, but I do honestly think that it will be a titration as all of our mock practicals have been titrations, and if that isn't a big enough clue I don't know what is, as the college has to get a specification list as to what to have prepared on the day.

As for the Planning part of the pracital I am not too sure, but am betting on enthalpy changes, or water of crystalisation exercises.

The Evaluating questions are usually very similar year after year, as are the calculations in analysing section which I am going to assume will be a titration also.

Your best bet is to look through the past papers, so here they all are: I also have the 2001 Markscheme but not the question paper:

If you know how to do all the calculations in Module 1 chapter 4 you should be fine.

I hope we all do well :biggrin:
Reply 10
And the last lot! Enjoy!

---By the by - just looked at the 2001 MS and it has the answers written on the actual question paper! Bonus Points

He's back

KJDM
Prof Milne
Here's some more - don't forget you can get them from the official AQA website too.

could you put up the 2001 mrk scheme please
Reply 12
I'm really hoping its titration. I've got the hang of it in the past few weeks and I've gotten concordant results...WITHOUT having to make them up! But does anyone have any notes or something its about identification of ions?
Battlestar Galactica
errr are we meant to be told before the practical???

No - That would be cheating. :mad:
Reply 14
Practical exam in a week! :confused: Our lecturer gave us this table type thing which breaks dwn what came up in implementing, analysis/evaluation and planning each year. The planning stuff has generally been titrations, calorimetry and gravimetry - no. of molecules of water of crystallisation.

For the evaluation stuff try to remember the possible errors in the experiment and improvements with explanations. Percentage error calculations aswell, calorimetry and titatrations calculations. Ideal Gas has come up before.

For the implement they'll tell u how to do it, and it's generally either titration or calorimetry. I've had real limited practice :frown: But keep in mind the stuff they'll mark you down on - leaving the funnel in, not filling the jet space, touch the pipette when emptying it, stirring, minor stuff... but it happens.

This is going to be my worst exam gotto start revision.. don't no where to start :frown:

i have NO IDEA how to do the planning at all! The textbook doesn't explain anything, and the mark schemes doesn't go in2 detail. Does anyone know where i can find detailed plans of all the experiments that could come up? With working out measurements, methods and all that? Or does anyone have any...? Would be really helpful.

thanx
I don't know whether to be worried by the practical - it looks easy, though it is all exam technique. :p: :biggrin:
Ahhh Im so scared. I think its a titration cause we did it last year and I'd know how to do it well. And thanks for those papers too!

I completely made a mess of the planning bit last year cause the teacher taught us stupidly. What does everyone think the planning will be?
Reply 17
Ummm is there any chance we need to know about identification tests and stuff? There was one before for implement but that only required you to state your observations and told you not to identify the compounds. If we do need to know identification tests, does that include all the organic chemistry stuff like fehlings and tollens?
Ahhh its on Monday :eek: any tips anyone? I did a mock practical, did really well on everything but got 6/20 on the plan..oh dear.
Reply 19
the plans only out of 8

Latest