The Student Room Group

plus size prom dresses

Hi everyone!

Ok so I know it's yet another prom dress thread, but I really need help!

Being a fat girl, I need a prom dress that will 1) FIT ME! and 2) Look fairly nice compared to all the stunning people who will doubtless be at my prom

I really don't know the first thing about fashion, so I need some help. If anyone could suggest somewhere that sells nice dresses (it doesn't even have to be too prom-ish, i don't want to look like a frilly marshmellow!) just something that will look ok. Also, my budget is extremely small--as in as small as possible.

As you have probably gathered my task is near impossible as you pay for quality, but any suggestions would really help and give me an idea where to start!

Thanks for any help! :smile: :tsr2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What size are you? :smile:
Have you got any pictures (you could scribble out your face for anonymity) just so that everyone can see your body shape? It's easier to judge what style of dress would suit you, that way :smile:
I suggest it way too much but give ebay a go, there something for everyone on there.
This morning I also bought a Brand new with tags full length prom dress for £1.20 + £3.00 postage :eek:
Reply 4
You could try Bridal Shops, my prom Dress is a rented bridesmade one from Ashington (I'll assume you live in Whitley bay up north).
Reply 5
I never get ebay bargains anymore, people aaaalways outbid me.
Reply 6
I actually don't have any full length pictures of myself due to extreme hating of myself. But I'm a size 18-20, quite tall....ermmmmm maybe 5ft9ish? (since the last time I checked!) :redface:
Reply 7
I'd recommend Monsoon, Debenhams, Bhs. But they're quite expensive "/

Errrmmm. Littlewoods direct. Some dresses there are from as little as £18 :biggrin:

And there is a place on ebay. No idea what the name is, but they do prom style dresses for you BBW for well cheap [;

So it's all peachy :biggrin:
Reply 8
Well all debut dresses in debenhams go to your size!

This is nice too I think :smile:

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_59917_583542_-1 quite cheap :smile:
Reply 9
I'm a 22 and I got two prom dresses (for choice :wink:), one from Debenhams and one from Dorothy Perkins. I found the one from DP fitted my body shape much better :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks for the help everyone :smile:
Silly thing is I didn't actually think of Dorothy Perkins!

I Just had a browse on ebay and saw some nice stuff, the only thing I'd worry about was whether the stuff would fit me, and if it did what if it looked disgusting (like so many things do when I think they're nice)

I did see a lovely dress in Monsoon, size 18, turquoise but it was £85--which I really can't afford :frown: I tried it on anyway though and it actually fit! I didn't even think those shops did my size, they are on the "trendy" shop list.

I really shouldn't have tried it on though, because I really loved it! It's calling to meeeee :frown:

EDIT: I found the dress on the website

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/25232337

Not to "toot my own horn" or anything, but I thought it looked quite nice

apparently I dress like a lesbian though so....:smile:
minimo
I never get ebay bargains anymore, people aaaalways outbid me.

If you dont already, look for stuff that ends at arkward times when not many people are likely to be on.
Ive got some amazing bargains in the last few days and all because they were items that ended at times like 7am.

(Asos top BNWT RRP £25, £1.04, BNWT Dorothy perkins dress £2.42, That prom dress £1.20)
Reply 12
louisedotcom
If you dont already, look for stuff that ends at arkward times when not many people are likely to be on.
Ive got some amazing bargains in the last few days and all because they were items that ended at times like 7am.

(Asos top BNWT RRP £25, £1.04, BNWT Dorothy perkins dress £2.42, That prom dress £1.20)

ooo good idea...problem is I might not be up to bid :redface:
minimo
ooo good idea...problem is I might not be up to bid :redface:

Nor me, but I bid before I go to bed the night before say at 11pm, and generally not all that many people are on there between that time and say 7am :biggrin:
Has worked a treat for me so far.
That monsoon dress is really lovely. I love the colour and the shape is really flattering. I think you should go for it - I know £85 is a lot, but its your prom and you can always get some money back by selling the dress on ebay afterwards. If you're going to uni you'll need a dress for formals etc. so it could also be a kind of investment...
Reply 16
Agree - eBay is great for things like this...

take for example..
Emeraldy color

Grey Colour

For something a little different
Polka Dot Corset Style

and as you liked turquisey i guessed...
This one?

Theres just so much available, like louise says, look at the right time, you're almost guarenteed to find something suitable!
Samelam
Hi everyone!

Ok so I know it's yet another prom dress thread, but I really need help!

Being a fat girl, I need a prom dress that will 1) FIT ME! and 2) Look fairly nice compared to all the stunning people who will doubtless be at my prom

I really don't know the first thing about fashion, so I need some help. If anyone could suggest somewhere that sells nice dresses (it doesn't even have to be too prom-ish, i don't want to look like a frilly marshmellow!) just something that will look ok. Also, my budget is extremely small--as in as small as possible.

As you have probably gathered my task is near impossible as you pay for quality, but any suggestions would really help and give me an idea where to start!

Thanks for any help! :smile: :tsr2:

Hmm im not sure where to get one really, but as for a style, although it might sound bad, go for something tight. If it feels tight on you, it's normally ok because fitted prom dresses look really nice on any figure. Try and get one that kinda flares out too, so it doesnt stick to your hips too much!
Reply 18
sav_606_rebels
and as you liked turquisey i guessed...
This one?

Theres just so much available, like louise says, look at the right time, you're almost guarenteed to find something suitable!

agh that dress is gorgeous! I'd have to have a cardi though to prevent the lesbian arm look! :smile:
I was just wondering, if something doesn't fit, do some sellers allow a refund or send a better size? That would be the thing I'd worry about

Thanks for the help :biggrin:
Reply 19
Often if you email them in advance, before the bidding has ended they can give you an idea of the size / measurements of the dress so you can measure youreself against it. if in doubt, go for the slightly larger so that because you're saving money you could take it to an alterations place and have it tweaked down to fit you perfectly :smile:

every seller has their own policy - some have masses of the same dress in various sizes so obviously theyre more likely to swap it for you if theres a problem with the size, but you get other people selling one off's - eg they bought a dress, no longer like it, so are selling it.

I'd be tempted to have a large shawl thing rather than a cardi, that you can drape over your shoulders. Black if you're wearing a turquoisey dress would be nice. Just thinking that a cardigan could be a) a bit warm, b) annoying to carry if you do get too warm dancing etc! and c) detract from the gorgeousness of the dress most importantly!!

Latest