The Student Room Group

Why does everyone hate Jack Wills!

Scroll to see replies

Angelil
It's incredibly expensive and the clothes have no personality - if you're going to spend that much money at least buy something interesting. It's not about resentment, it's about knowing the value of money.

But is the value of money not completely different from one person to another - it's almost entirely subjective is it not?
brightxburns
As do most 'designer' brands. If a Chanel or Dior evening dress was £200 instead of £2000, do you really think it would be seen as quite so 'exclusive' and coveted? Not at all. The reason designer brands are so coveted is because they are so expensive and, for must of us, unreachable.

Exactly. A&F wasn't as known as it is today a year ago. There's only one store that actually stocks their products, yet it is everywhere and tons of fakes on ebay. I wonder how many of those people who own their products actually bought from a reputable stockist.
Reply 42
I would judge the person on it - That they have far too much money, no sense, and would probably look down on someone lower middle class from Liverpool.

All the "rahs" I've met (due to a Tall Ships trip) would not even speak to me due to my having a mildly scouse accent and I've heard enough "So I was shopping in Dubai, right, when my butler says to me..." to last a lifetime.

Jack Wills wearer=eeargghh
I buy clothes from Jack Wills, there's nothing wrong with it :redface:
Yuffie
I would judge the person on it - That they have far too much money, no sense, and would probably look down on someone lower middle class from Liverpool.

All the "rahs" I've met (due to a Tall Ships trip) would not even speak to me due to my having a mildly scouse accent and I've heard enough "So I was shopping in Dubai, right, when my butler says to me..." to last a lifetime.

If you're going to judge someone on how they spend their money why should they value you or your opinion?

Some people have money, some don't - it's an unfortunate fact of life regardless of whether or not is 'fair'...
Yuffie

This confirms exactly what I said in my previous post.
Yuffie

Fair enough. I haven't met anyone upper middle class, "rahs", what ever you want to call them, wearing JW not speaking to me.

If you do judge people on their clothes, what brands would you think of highly on a man?

"Some people have money, some don't - it's an unfortunate fact of life regardless of whether or not is 'fair'..." - Exactly.

I'm a student from Leicester from a single-parent family and just bought a JW item, if people want to judge me on that (and they will), then let it be.
Reply 47
unknownking321
Fair enough. I haven't met anyone upper middle class, "rahs", what ever you want to call them, wearing JW.

If you do judge people on their clothes, what brands would you think of highly on a man?

Well I don't think my taste can exactly be considered high fashion, as

THIS is my perfect outfit on a man

Yuffie

You're speaking complete rubbish. Surely you can't base a judgement on somebody from the clothes they wear. I'm definately not a 'rah', so any generalisations you make from the clothes people wear is completely pointless.
Amazing how you can judge someone not by who they are, but on what they wear....
Reply 50
Because only ***** wear it.
Reply 51
holdyourcolour
Amazing how you can judge someone not by who they are, but on what they wear....

So...you'd consider going out with someone dressed like this?

Everyone judges people on what they wear. Don't be silly.
Yuffie
Well I don't think my taste can exactly be considered high fashion, as

THIS is my perfect outfit on a man

:love:

And that is all I have to contribute to this thread.
Everyone who's narrow minded and ignorant judges people on what they wear.

Just because one person acts one way does it mean everyone else does?
If looked outside of your conceited bubble, you'd easily find the answer is no.
Yuffie
So...you'd consider going out with someone dressed like this?

Everyone judges people on what they wear. Don't be silly.

Maybe you're just an introverted snob.
Yuffie

Rubbish. I wear JW now and again and I share a flat at uni with someone who would probably describe herself as lower middle class from Liverpool.

To be honest, you're going to miss out on meeting some interesting people if you judge people in such a superficial way.
nothingspek
Maybe you're just an introverted snob.

No she's right. If you're walking along the street and see a group of ten youths wearing full tracksuits, burberry caps etc coming towards you, you're going to judge them on their appearance. Yes?
bodybuilder22
No she's right. If you're walking along the street and see a group of ten youths wearing full tracksuits, burberry caps etc coming towards you, you're going to judge them on their appearance. Yes?

I wouldn't really think anything of it. And you can't really say that everybody who wears a burberry cap is a ruthless yob.
bodybuilder22

But I don't think JW has to be like that. It's just another shop.

I agree that people with massive JW rowing club logos can look silly, but most of the clothes don't have logos at all and I doubt you could tell if they were JW or not. And to be honest, I'm not sure why people care if they're JW or not.
holdyourcolour

People do form a judgement when they initially see someone and then it may/may not change if/when you talk to them.

Quick Reply

Latest