The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, because 'PC' only exists in the heads of Daily Mail columnists.
Yet they are the ones who dictate public opinion (the media not the Daily Mail).
Political correctness is a fundamentally repulsive concept. Whether or not something is correct is not political.

To the extent that it is just an ugly name for politeness, I have no problem with it.
Reply 4
:ashy: Political correctness gone mad!
Reply 5
I dont believe anyone, in the history of anyone, was offended by Ba ba black sheep.

Ditto MSB, those that harp on about 'PC gone mad' only say it cos no one agrees with them anymore.
See it isn't actually ba ba ba rainbow sheep, I think there are a few cases where some nurseries may use it instead but it isn't exactly enforce. It's just some ******ed people seem to wish to apply it to anything.

Anyway; PC is better than what it replaced in some respects. Health and safety is highly annoying but again it's better than what it replaced.
Reply 7
H+S is better than what it replaced is it? How many millions have been spent just to avoid ambulance following lawers. I work in the second most dangerous industry in the UK, and H+S is a pain in the arse. Some of it is sensible, but most is simply not followed, if it were then we wouldnt make any money. Some jobs are inhernetly dangerous, people must learnt to accept that. Everyone who has been properlly trained knows the risks then makes a choice as to whether or not to do something, if they make a mistake then thats their own fault. If we had to follow the same rules and regs which office workers had to follow then quite simply, you lot wouldnt eat!!

But yes, PC-ness went too far long ago. All these EU rules and regs and eithnic minority softy-softness drive me mad. If you want to come here, thats fine, but dont complain if you cant take an English joke!! Nobody is makeing you stay........
hate
Recently, on this forum, there has been a lot of talk about PC in Britain. This question is directed to the ethnic minorities:
As a bona fide wog, I feel qualified to comment.

Do you take offense if I were to sing 'Ba Ba Black Sheep'?

Not at all. Its merely a sheep that is black, and happens to have three bags of wool.

The only people who seem to be offended by Ba Ba Black Sheep are Honkies.
Reply 9
MSB
No, because 'PC' only exists in the heads of Daily Mail columnists.

So why did Kirklees council in West Yorkshire try to alter the story of the three little pigs so that it wouldn't offend Muslims?
Reply 11
hate
Recently, on this forum, there has been a lot of talk about PC in Britain. This question is directed to the ethnic minorities:

Do you take offense if I were to sing 'Ba Ba Black Sheep'?

If 'yes' why?

If 'no' why not?

If you knew such a song caused offence would you go out of your way to sing it?

In any event the whole Baa Baa Black Sheep story was actually made up - with the intent of stiring resentment at minorities (as are almost all so-called 'PC gone mad' stories).
Oswy

In any event the whole Baa Baa Black Sheep story was actually made up - with the intent of stiring resentment at minorities (as are almost all so-called 'PC gone mad' stories).

Pardon me, this thread is not an attempt to stir up anything unpleasant. I am more generally interested what the ethnic minorities think themselves.
Reply 13
JazzP
So why did Kirklees council in West Yorkshire try to alter the story of the three little pigs so that it wouldn't offend Muslims?

You're a reader, then?

Good video but "the right control world media" hows that?
Reply 15
hate
Pardon me, this thread is not an attempt to stir up anything unpleasant. I am more generally interested what the ethnic minorities think themselves.

How very defensive of you - guess you don't want to answer for some reason.
Oswy

I probably would sing it for that very reason. But more sane people probably would not.
Oswy
How very defensive of you - guess you don't want to answer for some reason.

Would you?
Reply 18
hate
I probably would sing it for that very reason. But more sane people probably would not.

I thought you would. I'm not surprised though, the world is full of morons.
Words only offend if people choose to take offence, otherwise it has virtually no power. People should just take it for what it is, a simple nursery rhyme rather than a racist song intended to offend.

The intent is what's racist, not the words themselves.
I've seen so many times chinese people refering themselves as chinks, it doesn't phase me anymore since there is either a) No demeaning intent or b) People just don't care. It may have been an offensive word in the past, but now it's just a word that used to be use as an insult but in reality is meaningless. (Damn, it's actually difficult to describe the concept and feeling)

Latest