Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

A Week in the Life: SOAS edition

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey, we should do a meet at SOAS for all the TSR peeps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OooO good idea...and then we can have a mahoosive photo of all of us. Plan sorted.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone taken BA Global Media & Film???
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teukiechul)
    Has anyone taken BA Global Media & Film???

Isn't that a brand new course? Sounds great though

J
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeJBB)
    Isn't that a brand new course? Sounds great though

J
    ahaa, yes. i now realise that

it seems like the best frikken course in the world if you ask me!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teukiechul)
    ahaa, yes. i now realise that

it seems like the best frikken course in the world if you ask me!
    Good job you'll be applying for it then :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also something worth noting - Kashiwagi sensei NEVER SLEEPS - I sent her an essay at Midnight sunday and got it back marked Monday morning. Somebody else I know sent an email at 3am and received a reply five minutes later telling him to go to sleep and come to the next lesson on time :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eien)
    Also something worth noting - Kashiwagi sensei NEVER SLEEPS - I sent her an essay at Midnight sunday and got it back marked Monday morning. Somebody else I know sent an email at 3am and received a reply five minutes later telling him to go to sleep and come to the next lesson on time :p:
    Just like Pizziconi - if you ever send her an e-mail, you generally get a reply in five minutes. It feels like MSN, which of course makes me want to add 'Lol' at the end of the message instead of my name.

Kashiwagi is absolutely amazing though, so this really doesn't surprise me at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not meaning to be rude, but practically everyone has gone off topic on this thread!! I came on here looking for a typical week in the life of a law student.. but it seems like everyone at soas does either japanese, korean or economics!!

Do people actually do Law at SOAS?? I have an offer for it.. but I'm slightly confused now..!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, plenty do. Just not the people on here I guess?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do Law & Politics, most of my mates do straight law...wadya wanna know?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpanther786)
    I do Law & Politics, most of my mates do straight law...wadya wanna know?
    Whats the typical week like for a law student? (Straight law without anything else)

No. of lectures/seminars/tutorials

Generally are the lecturers any good?

Whats the oversea to national student ratio?

On average how many mature students do law?

What are class sizes like?

So basically just the general stuff... Anyone willing to answer..? Would be very grateful if you could, would make my decision easier. I have an offer from SOAS and City atm and just deciding between them. Those questions answered will make my choice easier .. thanks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flavity)
    Whats the typical week like for a law student? (Straight law without anything else)

No. of lectures/seminars/tutorials

Generally are the lecturers any good?

Whats the oversea to national student ratio?

On average how many mature students do law?

What are class sizes like?

So basically just the general stuff... Anyone willing to answer..? Would be very grateful if you could, would make my decision easier. I have an offer from SOAS and City atm and just deciding between them. Those questions answered will make my choice easier .. thanks!
    ok i'm going to reply in the 'law at soas thread' as it may be helpful to others and will get lost in here otherwise...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    City does not have a good reputation.

Cass Business School, City is great for a masters programme. However, City University as a whole is not well regarded in terms of undergraduate. This is actually the truth. If you want to go into law, a degree at somewhere like City will probably be suffice for a High Street law firm or maybe a small regional firm.

I haven't seen the City campus but I'm sure its probably much nicer than the SOAS one. SOAS is situated in Russell Square though so it is much more central. However, the SOAS buildings are disgusting and so is the JCR.

Essentially though this is irrelevant. The truth is you should take Law at a University that will put you in the best position to get a job after. SOAS has a much better reputation. You can get a job in the top law firms and banks with a SOAS Law degree. I don't think the same can be said about City.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by equitiesdarlinginthesack)
    City does not have a good reputation.

Cass Business School, City is great for a masters programme. However, City University as a whole is not well regarded in terms of undergraduate. This is actually the truth. If you want to go into law, a degree at somewhere like City will probably be suffice for a High Street law firm or maybe a small regional firm.

I haven't seen the City campus but I'm sure its probably much nicer than the SOAS one. SOAS is situated in Russell Square though so it is much more central. However, the SOAS buildings are disgusting and so is the JCR.

Essentially though this is irrelevant. The truth is you should take Law at a University that will put you in the best position to get a job after. SOAS has a much better reputation. You can get a job in the top law firms and banks with a SOAS Law degree. I don't think the same can be said about City.
    Thats all well and good, but what annoyed me about SOAS is that it focusses specfically on the laws of Africa and Asia. Now, I'm in the UK - I will most probably be getting a career in the UK.. I will never need to know about the laws in Africa and Asia... never - ever - in my life unless I plan to go live and work in those continents which to be honest, I don't plan to.

Therefore I think the SOAS Law degree is actually a bit of a waste seeing as I don't plan to have a career abroad. If I'm wrong, please say.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thats all well and good, but what annoyed me about SOAS is that it focusses specfically on the laws of Africa and Asia. Now, I'm in the UK - I will most probably be getting a career in the UK.. I will never need to know about the laws in Africa and Asia... never - ever - in my life unless I plan to go live and work in those continents which to be honest, I don't plan to.

Therefore I think the SOAS Law degree is actually a bit of a waste seeing as I don't plan to have a career abroad. If I'm wrong, please say.
    The SOAS law degree has all the modules you would study at any other university, since otherwise they would not be able to award LLBs, which are essentially in English law. There is the option on the side to take extra modules in Asian and African laws in your second and third year.

http://www.soas.ac.uk/programmes/prog14042.php
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    The SOAS law degree has all the modules you would study at any other university, since otherwise they would not be able to award LLBs, which are essentially in English law. There is the option on the side to take extra modules in Asian and African laws in your second and third year.

http://www.soas.ac.uk/programmes/prog14042.php
    I went to the open day on the 4th of Feb and the professor who was giving a talk said if you are not interested in the laws of Africa and Asia, don't come here. She also said the whole degree was focussed entirely on the laws of Asia and Africa, with very little emphasis of the british laws. Basically the bare minimum necessary for the degree.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went to the open day on the 4th of Feb and the professor who was giving a talk said if you are not interested in the laws of Africa and Asia, don't come here. She also said the whole degree was focussed entirely on the laws of Asia and Africa, with very little emphasis of the british laws. Basically the bare minimum necessary for the degree.
    Well yes, I suppose if you are not interested in Asia and Africa at all then SOAS is not the best place for you. But a SOAS law degree is an LLB, and it does cover the aspects of English law which are necessary for that to be the case. This is what I was pointing out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Well if you go to City University you will probably be able to get a job as a legal secretary in the UK. I don't quite think you understand how big business and the City of London works. I am graduating from SOAS this year and have a job with one of the world's best law firms (IN THE UK).

I choose SOAS because I was rejected from LSE. I went to awful schools and choose the most appalling A-levels...hence the reason why I was rejected. The whole Asia/Africa thing did not appeal to me in the slightest. However, if you want to avoid such modules completely then you are only forced to take one in your first year. After that you can just do straight UK law. That's what I planned to do.

I am only giving you this advice because this is your future. You need to think very carefully about this. If you go to City University then your chance of employment in top law firms or banks is highly unlikely. But it all depends on individual ambition I guess.

If you want to stay in London and have offers from the likes of UCL, LSE and maybe even possibly KCL (although its not a bit blah), the you should certainly reject SOAS.

BUT to choose City over SOAS is a BIG mistake.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by equitiesdarlinginthesack)
    Ok. Well if you go to City University you will probably be able to get a job as a legal secretary in the UK. I don't quite think you understand how big business and the City of London works. I am graduating from SOAS this year and have a job with one of the world's best law firms (IN THE UK).

I choose SOAS because I was rejected from LSE. I went to awful schools and choose the most appalling A-levels...hence the reason why I was rejected. The whole Asia/Africa thing did not appeal to me in the slightest. However, if you want to avoid such modules completely then you are only forced to take one in your first year. After that you can just do straight UK law. That's what I planned to do.

I am only giving you this advice because this is your future. You need to think very carefully about this. If you go to City University then your chance of employment in top law firms or banks is highly unlikely. But it all depends on individual ambition I guess.

If you want to stay in London and have offers from the likes of UCL, LSE and maybe even possibly KCL (although its not a bit blah), the you should certainly reject SOAS.

BUT to choose City over SOAS is a BIG mistake.
    I really appreciate that you've given my life such a big thought.

Currently, I am holding offers from City, SOAS and Kingston Uni. Kingston is the back up, and its between City and SOAS atm. However, I'm waiting for LSE to reply, Kings rejected me . If all goes well, hopefully, I may go to LSE.. I really want to go to a good uni, get a good degree.. I'm quite an ambitious person and definitely would not settle for anything short of a top law firm job at the end of it.

Ok, it's beginning to look like SOAS would be the more sensible choice. Are the other modules associated with Africa and Asia as well? Or is it just the one module that your forced to do in the first year?

Thanks for all the lovely advice, it is much appreciated

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2014
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.