The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

A Week in the Life: Birmingham University edition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iheartmondays
woooooooooooooow bring on 2011 - i'm doing international relations with political science!!

mee too, im starting to regret it though, it seems as if no one gets a good / well paid job after this ... :/ what have i done to myself!!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by iheartmondays
any career plans?

Well, I'm doing postgrad at the moment. I'll see how life pans out!
I will do one when I start my second yr for Medical science in a months time....
Original post by Ruhuofaston
I will do one when I start my second yr for Medical science in a months time....

*SUbscribes*
Original post by hosamthemaster
*SUbscribes*

sorry i didnt get what you saying...
1st year Psychology...

Monday- 1 or 2 lectures, Research methods and study skills, not the most exciting start to the week, but there you go, sometimes do some research participation on a Monday as well. In week 2 you get a block of 3 lectures in a row over lunchtime and die of hunger!
Tuesday- cognitive psychology lectures (speedy lecturer, so be awake!), and crazily easy computing class where you don't learn a lot, but you have to go because they do a register
Wednesday- 'module outside main discipline' day, I picked the medicine module so its a really early double lecture, then either tutorial at an awkward time in the afternoon or an afternoon off to either wander pointlessly around the Bullring or stress about an essay. Sometimes go to the creative writing society things on a Wednesday evening too.
Thursday- Psychobiology lecture, you'll hear lots of people hating this one, but it's actually really interesting (to me, at least) and no it's not easy, but you are doing a degree, so shush! Also workshops on some weeks, for coursework, usually pretty interesting and lots more interactive than lectures. Sometimes in the evening things happen at the Vale, like the fireworks or film nights etc
Friday- Introduction to learning lectures, sometimes a workshop, and to the end of the semester, practical classes (also for coursework) sometimes all while carrying your entire weekend's stuff with you to take on the train home
Saturdays-lie in, go to the library (it's way better at the weekends when it's less busy!) do a food shop from the petrol station tesco in selly oak and use the walk back to the Vale as your 'exercise', catch up on reading from the week, do coursework, watch rubbish on iplayer or 4od or whatever, etc
Sunday-similar to saturdays really!
Reply 26
Txi, I find some of your posts quite offensive. I can't comment on your lecturers because I didn't study in that department, but if you wanted Oxford or Cambridge, you should have gone there. I don't think any other university in the UK would give you the same experience as Oxbridge. As for the uni and the city being boring, your expectations must be quite high if that's what you're saying about the UK's second city. There are plenty of things to do depending on what your interests are.
Reply 27
No, I didn't want Oxbridge - I went to Birmingham and was very happy there. I just want people to see a balanced view of Birmingham rather than be inundated by your perception.

Do enlighten us all as to your interests and I'm sure we'll all be able to make suggestions of things to do. No point me listing my top 5 for you then to say that's not your thing.
Original post by InfinitelyVixey
1st year Psychology...

Monday- 1 or 2 lectures, Research methods and study skills, not the most exciting start to the week, but there you go, sometimes do some research participation on a Monday as well. In week 2 you get a block of 3 lectures in a row over lunchtime and die of hunger!
Tuesday- cognitive psychology lectures (speedy lecturer, so be awake!), and crazily easy computing class where you don't learn a lot, but you have to go because they do a register
Wednesday- 'module outside main discipline' day, I picked the medicine module so its a really early double lecture, then either tutorial at an awkward time in the afternoon or an afternoon off to either wander pointlessly around the Bullring or stress about an essay. Sometimes go to the creative writing society things on a Wednesday evening too.
Thursday- Psychobiology lecture, you'll hear lots of people hating this one, but it's actually really interesting (to me, at least) and no it's not easy, but you are doing a degree, so shush! Also workshops on some weeks, for coursework, usually pretty interesting and lots more interactive than lectures. Sometimes in the evening things happen at the Vale, like the fireworks or film nights etc
Friday- Introduction to learning lectures, sometimes a workshop, and to the end of the semester, practical classes (also for coursework) sometimes all while carrying your entire weekend's stuff with you to take on the train home
Saturdays-lie in, go to the library (it's way better at the weekends when it's less busy!) do a food shop from the petrol station tesco in selly oak and use the walk back to the Vale as your 'exercise', catch up on reading from the week, do coursework, watch rubbish on iplayer or 4od or whatever, etc
Sunday-similar to saturdays really!

I like the sound of this :smile:
eeee
Reply 29
What about Physics??? C'mon
I know this is rather random & months from any last post etc.

However if anyone can do the week of a law student it would be fab :smile: Time of lectures/amount of work/related societies/events etc

tah :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by egvc22
What about Physics??? C'mon

Just finished 2nd year of MSci Physics and Astrophysics

Monday: Up at 7am, 3 hours of lectures and preparation of physics problem sheets for hand in next day. AstroLab project for 3 hours in afternoon. Return home about 5pm. Final read and write up of problem sheet.

Tuesday: Up at 7am, 6 hours of lectures and 1 hour of personal tutor group to discuss issues or generally physics news. Hand in physics problem sheets. Return home about 4pm.

Wednesday: Up at 8am :biggrin: 3 hours of lectures finish at 12pm as sports Wednesdays, pick up new physics problem sheet. At home prepare maths problem sheet for hand in following day.

Thursday: Up at 7am, 4 hours of lectures, 3 hours of AstroLab in afternoon and hand in maths problem sheet. Help run AstroSoc from 7pm (on the committee). Pub afterwards. Finish about 11:30pm

Friday: Up at 7am, 5 hours of lectures finish at 5pm. Have Friday off party? Town? Friends over for movies?

Saturday/Sunday: recover from hangovers, do some clothes washing, buy weekly food, spend about 5-6 hours each day completing the problem sheets for the following week.

This is a usual week sometimes for essay deadlines ect you can be up till around 2am working, I know some people who pull all night ers before deadlines! During exam season depending on your revision technique you will spend somewhere between 5-14 hours revising each day.

The timetable sounds tough but the course is very rewarding and really intellectually stimulating, if you put in the hours you get the rewards. :smile: would recommend to anyone who is considering it.

P.s reading back perhaps I have made it seem as if as a physicist you have no social life at all :P as you do so many hours you form tight friendship groups and we do loads in birmingham especially nandos! There are a lot of nandos!
Reply 32
Thank you a lot!! Do you get to choose your tutor?
Original post by mrppaulo
Just finished 2nd year of MSci Physics and Astrophysics

Monday: Up at 7am, 3 hours of lectures and preparation of physics problem sheets for hand in next day. AstroLab project for 3 hours in afternoon. Return home about 5pm. Final read and write up of problem sheet.

Tuesday: Up at 7am, 6 hours of lectures and 1 hour of personal tutor group to discuss issues or generally physics news. Hand in physics problem sheets. Return home about 4pm.

Wednesday: Up at 8am :biggrin: 3 hours of lectures finish at 12pm as sports Wednesdays, pick up new physics problem sheet. At home prepare maths problem sheet for hand in following day.

Thursday: Up at 7am, 4 hours of lectures, 3 hours of AstroLab in afternoon and hand in maths problem sheet. Help run AstroSoc from 7pm (on the committee). Pub afterwards. Finish about 11:30pm

Friday: Up at 7am, 5 hours of lectures finish at 5pm. Have Friday off party? Town? Friends over for movies?

Saturday/Sunday: recover from hangovers, do some clothes washing, buy weekly food, spend about 5-6 hours each day completing the problem sheets for the following week.

This is a usual week sometimes for essay deadlines ect you can be up till around 2am working, I know some people who pull all night ers before deadlines! During exam season depending on your revision technique you will spend somewhere between 5-14 hours revising each day.

The timetable sounds tough but the course is very rewarding and really intellectually stimulating, if you put in the hours you get the rewards. :smile: would recommend to anyone who is considering it.

P.s reading back perhaps I have made it seem as if as a physicist you have no social life at all :P as you do so many hours you form tight friendship groups and we do loads in birmingham especially nandos! There are a lot of nandos!
Reply 33
Original post by Beth_Armitage
I know this is rather random & months from any last post etc.

However if anyone can do the week of a law student it would be fab :smile: Time of lectures/amount of work/related societies/events etc

tah :smile:

would very much like to hear about this as well
Reply 34
Original post by egvc22
Thank you a lot!! Do you get to choose your tutor?

You don't get to choose your tutor but if you applied for a specific field your tutor will most likely be in that field (if not 1st year then certainly 2nd year). For my 1st year I had an Italian woman who works on the LHC and for my 2nd year an Italian man who researches gravitational wave interferometers.
Reply 35
Original post by swissking
would very much like to hear about this as well

Same here :smile:
This is a post I used to check frequently to see if any law students had posted on it however to no prevail. Now as a first year law student at Bham if anyone wants an insight feel free to comment and I'll post the day in the life of me, why not? A useful thing for ya'll hopefully and a procrastinaton technique for me :wink:
Any English/Drama/Joint Honours of both, please put one up!!
Reply 38
Original post by Beth_Armitage
This is a post I used to check frequently to see if any law students had posted on it however to no prevail. Now as a first year law student at Bham if anyone wants an insight feel free to comment and I'll post the day in the life of me, why not? A useful thing for ya'll hopefully and a procrastinaton technique for me :wink:

Could you post your insight please? :P
Original post by 18 Stars
Could you post your insight please? :P

Of course, I believe I did a post on my blog on TSR: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2438693&page=2

But I can post it on here as well if you like? It's just a little long winded and rambly so thought better to send link, about half way down the page under title 'life as a law student' hope it helps and any other Q's feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest