The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

A Week in the Life: Birmingham University edition

Damn, PPE students at oxford have more essays in 2 weeks than I have an entire term. Damn.

Scroll to see replies

Has the wiki page been set up yet?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Okay, no problem. I'll try and get round to that when I get a chance - will do a first/second and final year version for my course, since I've found they're really different. Thanks Athena! :smile:
Reply 3
I'm sure I'll be able to piece something together from my journals/what I remember :P It won't be an exact week because I'm not in Birmingham at the moment but I'll try and make it as representative as possible.
Reply 4
il do one :smile: Im a first year sociology student!
Final year political science.

Tuesday and Wednesday I have the day off this year, but that time has been rammed with writing up my dissertation (since our deadline was really early in February) and the large numbers of essays they also decided to burden us with (about 20,000 words worth on top of the 12,000 dissertation). I've also usually had a 20-minute presentation every fortnight or thereabouts, which I usually take a full day to prepare for. So my typical day off involves getting up about 8, fannying about on the internet for an hour, then working through to 7-8pm when I have to cook dinner, with an hour's break for lunch. The life of a politics student features quite a few days off, so getting into the habit of being able to work on your own is a must - some of my friends go to the library, but I prefer to work at home. Tuesday evenings last year I went to language classes, but I haven't really felt like going this year.

Spread over Monday, Thursday and Friday I have 8 contact hours. That's pretty deceptive though, as during writing my dissertation I was having weekly hour-long meetings with my tutor, plus usually at least 1-2 other meetings over regular seminars and coursework. Given that my seminars (I only have one lecture this year) all start after lunch and go on until 4-5, I generally spend the morning doing little bits of reading, or working on minor pieces of work (eg writing up presentations). There are fairly big gaps between my Monday sessions so I normally go for a slap-up lunch with friends in the Guild to let off steam. The seminars themselves are dotted all over campus so comfy shoes become a necessity very quickly.

The workload is really variable dependent on the time of year; generally the first couple of weeks of term are quite relaxed but after that the work comes thick and fast. This year I had to work over the whole Christmas and Easter holiday to try and stay on top of things, as the dissertation was pretty tough. That said some of my chums had a much more enjoyable time, either because they were more organised or less scared than I was. When the work's easing off you can happily go out 2-3 nights a week, but over the busy periods, forget it. How long you spend on the essays is somewhat dependent on how dilligent you are and what kind of grade boundary you're after. Frankly most of my friends can knock out a 2.2-2.1 2,000 word coursework essay in a day or two, but if you want a good mark (or if it's a longer piece of work - standard coursework is anywhere up to 6,000 words) it will probably take you a week or so to read, plan, and write.

Saturday and Sunday I sleep in, watch telly, and generally try to catch up on reading, rather than working properly. Usually I try and read a journal article/chapter for most seminars, which can take me anything up to two hours to read depending on how tired I am! Sleep is one thing I don't compromise on though - I've learnt to plan my time to make sure I get at least 8 hours. I can't cope with less :smile:
Mon to Friday: Lectures at Medschool apart from GP placement Thursday. Gym/Training/Sports in evening. Get abolustely stinkin' on a night out/ stay in with some sheesha and movie with housemates and whoever else wants to join in/ societies.

Sat: Medic's rugby match. Training. Get stinkin' at FAB.

Sun: Recovery, homework, training/sports, mass cooking for week, bed.

Will expand on this soon I guess, as it is like 5am, but this gives you the kind of jist.
can i write something about the awesomely awesome millionare slices you can get at the farm shop?
and the also awesome societies?
the_final_straw
can i write something about the awesomely awesome millionare slices you can get at the farm shop?

Of course! Go ahead :smile:
the_final_straw

Orv the fresh fruit they sell ? :coma: :p:
i could write abou freshers week? how long can it be? i've done so much this week!!
I shall do from when I arrived.

Wednesday 16th September:
Arrived between 3-4pm and got my key. Moved my stuff from my car to my flat. Parents got here with rest of my stuff at 7pm, moved all my stuff in, went sainsburys, then waved them goodbye about 10.

Thursday 17th September:
Had a meeting with student support at 11am, found this very useful. Went for a walk around campus and surrounding area. Don't think it helped me remember anything about the area lol. Met up with some people from TSR who I knew were also moving in early. Got home bout 10.

Friday 18th September:
Job training (BORING!) then drinks at the Gun Barrels place, which was really good :smile:

Saturday 19th September:
Shopping. And then we went to the maple bank moving in party.

Sunday 20th September:
All my flatmates moved in. Went to bar one, it got shut, went round alot of places. It was a good night and I met a really cool girl :smile: Got a kiss too, Lol (not from the girl).

Monday 21st September:
Went to the freshers fair with flatmates, went to the guild for neon party.

Tuesday 22nd September:
Chemistry Induction in the morning, wonderful icebreaker thing, met people off my course. Umm, We went out to Oceana, It was alright.

Wednesday 23rd September:
Learning to learn at Chemistry-BORING! Ummm, Didn't go out had a lazy day. Can't remember the opinion of Mechu though.

Thursday 24th September:
Chemistry induction thing and labs, then had work in the evening. Some said gatecrasher was good, some said it was not. I think it would have been better if they opened all the rooms apparently. I did not go again.

Friday 25th September:
Meeting with my personal tutor, went well. Ball - went even better :smile:

Saturday 26th September:
My friend came to visit me :smile::smile:

Sunday 27th September:
Friend left :frown::frown:

Monday 28th September:
First lecture, easy. I wish I was doing a degree.

Not sure what I'm thinking about university life at the moment, I don't have the energy to keep up with everybody which makes me sad. But I have met some amazing people, and I truly love Birmingham :smile: Other than the walk from Elgar to campus!
Reply 12
Amrito-Dorito
Mon to Friday: Lectures at Medschool apart from GP placement Thursday. Gym/Training/Sports in evening. Get abolustely stinkin' on a night out/ stay in with some sheesha and movie with housemates and whoever else wants to join in/ societies.

Sat: Medic's rugby match. Training. Get stinkin' at FAB.

Sun: Recovery, homework, training/sports, mass cooking for week, bed.

Will expand on this soon I guess, as it is like 5am, but this gives you the kind of jist.

Right. So are all lectures/seminars in the Med school only?
Reply 13
what do u think about living in birmingham?is it safe for girls ?
Reply 14
niloooo
what do u think about living in birmingham?is it safe for girls ?

As long as you take reasonable precautions ie don't walk home alone in the dark and don't have valuables like iPod, phone on display, it's exactly like any other city. I've never felt threatened.
Reply 15
thank you soph :smile: :smile:
because i am an oversea student and i want to come there for my education that's why im worried
Reply 16
niloooo
thank you soph :smile: :smile:
because i am an oversea student and i want to come there for my education that's why im worried

Some areas of the city are dodgy, but you have no reason to worry unduly about Edgbaston or Selly Oak. Where are you from?
Reply 17
I am from iran
Original post by IlexAquifolium

Tuesday and Wednesday I have the day off this year, but that time has been rammed with writing up my dissertation (since our deadline was really early in February) and the large numbers of essays they also decided to burden us with (about 20,000 words worth on top of the 12,000 dissertation). I've also usually had a 20-minute presentation every fortnight or thereabouts, which I usually take a full day to prepare for. So my typical day off involves getting up about 8, fannying about on the internet for an hour, then working through to 7-8pm when I have to cook dinner, with an hour's break for lunch. The life of a politics student features quite a few days off, so getting into the habit of being able to work on your own is a must - some of my friends go to the library, but I prefer to work at home. Tuesday evenings last year I went to language classes, but I haven't really felt like going this year.

Spread over Monday, Thursday and Friday I have 8 contact hours. That's pretty deceptive though, as during writing my dissertation I was having weekly hour-long meetings with my tutor, plus usually at least 1-2 other meetings over regular seminars and coursework. Given that my seminars (I only have one lecture this year) all start after lunch and go on until 4-5, I generally spend the morning doing little bits of reading, or working on minor pieces of work (eg writing up presentations). There are fairly big gaps between my Monday sessions so I normally go for a slap-up lunch with friends in the Guild to let off steam. The seminars themselves are dotted all over campus so comfy shoes become a necessity very quickly.

The workload is really variable dependent on the time of year; generally the first couple of weeks of term are quite relaxed but after that the work comes thick and fast. This year I had to work over the whole Christmas and Easter holiday to try and stay on top of things, as the dissertation was pretty tough. That said some of my chums had a much more enjoyable time, either because they were more organised or less scared than I was. When the work's easing off you can happily go out 2-3 nights a week, but over the busy periods, forget it. How long you spend on the essays is somewhat dependent on how dilligent you are and what kind of grade boundary you're after. Frankly most of my friends can knock out a 2.2-2.1 2,000 word coursework essay in a day or two, but if you want a good mark (or if it's a longer piece of work - standard coursework is anywhere up to 6,000 words) it will probably take you a week or so to read, plan, and write.

Saturday and Sunday I sleep in, watch telly, and generally try to catch up on reading, rather than working properly. Usually I try and read a journal article/chapter for most seminars, which can take me anything up to two hours to read depending on how tired I am! Sleep is one thing I don't compromise on though - I've learnt to plan my time to make sure I get at least 8 hours. I can't cope with less :smile:

woooooooooooooow bring on 2011 - i'm doing international relations with political science!!
Original post by IlexAquifolium

any career plans?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending