The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A Week in the Life: LSE edition

i will do an indept one over the summer... righ tnow just tooo busy :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not being funny, this is a **** idea. The normal wiki thing is good because you're actually descibing the place. wtf is this crap? It's going to be the same whichever university it is.

8:30am wake up
8:45am take a dump
9:30am/11/ten mins before the lecture, leave to go to uni
go to classes, lectures
4:30pm get back
4:45pm take a wizz
6:30pm have dinner
7:30 onwards - do whatever - go out/ be lazy and stay in/ do work... etc.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
dfhgksjldfxcz

QUOTE]

:rofl:
You'd think that at least the academic 'rigour' of LSE would demand a tad more work etc.

I think that was the aim of that, I could imagne workloads flucuating, depending on the subject!
Reply 4
well for me i found my daily routine to be this on average when i say work i mean like homework or econ reading

lecture from about 10am - 2pm with gaps in between, inbetween those gaps just go to lunch of chill with friends.
3pm go back to halls and chill maybe watch a few american drama like smallville etc (depends on day)
from about 5-6pm i would probably do a bit of reading or some homework (math and stats homework usually copied from someone else though)
then from like 8pm onwards we usually chill. during freshers week used to hang out till like 2am then it all starts again the next day.
this went on until the end of the second term.

however easter and third term was very very very different. they were usually wake up at 0830, make way to the lse library, study until like 1pm have lunch, then further study until like 5pm a little break, then further stufy until 9pm dinner, then study until about 11pm (it got later more like 12pm as pressure mounted on) then when exams came, went passed and now nothing to do. so thats pretty much how i spent my time in first year
Grr this is bad as this isn;t even my account, but my days are as follows:

Wake 10:30 for election at 11
Attend lecture at 11:00
Eat lunch with friends
Study in library
Attend lecture at 4:00pm
Eat dinner
Study in library until closing at midnight
Work at Halls until 2-3am (unless essay/problem set due in - sometimes it was an all nighter then!)

And yes, I am incredibly sad. Why did I do it? Because the LSE give you so much work that I wasn't even able to keep on top of it all with that schedule. I'm going to try and work "smarter" next year!!

And exam period goes something like:

Arrive library around 10:00
Study until around 2-3am (or if you're by boyfriend/te nutty chinese people in my halls, until 5-6 am).
Reply 6
kashmir.noir
You'd think that at least the academic 'rigour' of LSE would demand a tad more work etc.

I think that was the aim of that, I could imagne workloads flucuating, depending on the subject!

Those doing the less "quanty" subjects seemed to have a little more work than those not doing! However about halfway through Lent/Michaelmas terms, week 5 and 10 are know as the dreaded "essay weeks" this is where work is a bit of a project and the grade you get is usually an indication of how well you are doing. Economics students beware of problem sets :p: Also, the teachers from your other modules feel the need to pile on more work at these times too.
Reply 7
I may have been missing something over the past two years, but you really do not need to do all that much work, even for Economics, Maths, Stats...

Although I do reckon that non-quanty subjects do require a lot more work, simply because they have to read, rather than just answer questions for which lecture notes and textbooks help no end.
Overmars

:rofl:
If anyone could do one for Law, I'd be extremely grateful :smile:
and one for a&f
Reply 11
I'll do one when I've got all my work done (possibly never but okay whatever)
Haha, Nadine, your work will never be done!!
And your average day accurately depicts the amount of work given/done about as much as mine does!!

This shouldn't be done as a typical day...it should be a typical week, because let's face it, Wednesdays and Thursdays are a hell of alot different to any other day...one involves not attending/just going in to meet at the tuns before training/matches and the other trudging in purely for the UGM with the world's largest hangover then spending the rest of the afternoon dossing in the tuns or C120.
Average day in non-essay due weeks:

Get up at around mid-day if lectures/classes are in afternoon. Go to class, come back to halls. Piss around, maybe do some work. Go out, get back at 3am pissed mindless and start over again.

In essay weeks it's something like: get up at 8am...work till 12am/when you lose consciousness.

For quanty subjects there seems to be more sustained levels of work - although that might just be due to the massive lack of reading and preparation I do for classes.
Reply 14
An average day for me would actually be completely free, only have classes/lectures 2 days a week
Reply 15
For me life at LSE has 3 lives...

1. You try and do all the work, working mindlessly in the library for hours on end, from early in the morning until close, going for lectures, coffees and food inbetween. Oh and top of that, you ask stupid questions in lectures, and brown nose the teachers.

2. You do nothing but the bare minimum. Ie. attend lectures and classes, and do some of the homeworks.

3. You do the work that's going to get you a 2.1... you do the classes and lectures, you do the majority of the reading, having decided its usefulness, and then you do the majority of the set work.

I'm somewhere between 2 and 3.

D.
Beef_Eater
and one for a&f

A&F will be good and i want to know about life in LSE societies and sports.
you can do piss all if you really want to. class teachers generally don't care if you hand in work or about the quality of the work you do hand in, and your grades are decided entirely by the final exam. not to mention lectures aren't compulsory. some of them really aren't worth going to anyway.
made_of_fail
you can do piss all if you really want to. class teachers generally don't care if you hand in work or about the quality of the work you do hand in, and your grades are decided entirely by the final exam. not to mention lectures aren't compulsory. some of them really aren't worth going to anyway.

are you talking about undergraduate degree?
sad core
A&F will be good and i want to know about life in LSE societies and sports.

Sports are played (generally...obviously it depends on the sport, but the majority eg rugby, football, netball etc) on a Wednesday afternoon, a Wednesday evening is the Athletics Union (so basically all the sports teams) night out the first part of which is spent in the tuns playing drinking games and doing kareoke, the second part in zoo bar/walkabout dancing the night away. Alot of teams also have training/matches at weekends (usually a Sunday, although sometimes training is on a Saturday if there is no match on the Sunday) and I believe some teams have training on a Monday night.
Team dinners I think twice in Michaelmas term and one/twice in Lent term. AU ball near the end of Lent term. AU welcome party beginning of Michaelmas term (expect fancy dress). AU Carol/Barrel happens early December.

Quick Reply

Latest