The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A Week in the Life: LSE edition

Scroll to see replies

DannyBoy123
No one sane actually does that much work - at least not in first year. There's a line between doing enough work and just being psychotic. Unfortunately I have fallen on the wrong side of doing enough work this year...cramming FTW!

Did you doss around at A Level too?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Mr Kipling
Did you doss around at A Level too?

Yeah but at A-level you could get away with it quite easily lol. For example, I didn't go to a single Economics class after the first term in my final year and still managed to get an A in the last paper (I only needed like 15 marks to get an A or something stupid).

Difference is you get spoon fed at school, you have to do a lot of work on your own here that isn't explicitly set. Economics/Maths is alright - you get problem sets and stuff. Essay subjects they basically say 'read about this' and you could read one of 10 books for it. Getting smashed, therefore, is usually the preferred option.
Reply 62
This thread's been quiet for quite a while. Do they have a weightlifting room in LSE? If yes, is it a good one? Pictures?

Do they have a club for those who are interested about investment. Investment as in stocks, bonds etc. etc. I'd imagine, but never heard anyone mention one.
Reply 63
Mecken
This thread's been quiet for quite a while. Do they have a weightlifting room in LSE? If yes, is it a good one? Pictures?

Do they have a club for those who are interested about investment. Investment as in stocks, bonds etc. etc. I'd imagine, but never heard anyone mention one.

Yes there is a gym. Best described by "cheap and nasty". A much better one is next to bankside if you happen to be there for your first year.

Yes there are a million finance related societies.
Reply 64
to current LSE students... in lots of the lse sites etc they advise that your classes/ lectures and private study should amount to the hours in a working week so 40 hrs I guess! Do you find that easy to do? or is it really hard with all the temptations to go out and stuff. Also does the library have silent areas and is it easy to study in there or is it just distracting to go there to study and full of people talking? oo one final question is it easy to swap a twin room to a single room once you are there- I mean are there likely to be many people who wanted a twin but got a single? thanks! : )
Reply 65
fizzandcop
to current LSE students... in lots of the lse sites etc they advise that your classes/ lectures and private study should amount to the hours in a working week so 40 hrs I guess! Do you find that easy to do? or is it really hard with all the temptations to go out and stuff. Also does the library have silent areas and is it easy to study in there or is it just distracting to go there to study and full of people talking? oo one final question is it easy to swap a twin room to a single room once you are there- I mean are there likely to be many people who wanted a twin but got a single? thanks! : )

For study hours it really depends a lot on what subject you're studying. For quantitive ones like economics in the first year I did approximately 10 hours of self study in non-essay and problem set weeks. However bear in mind I also went to 90% of lectures and tutorials so it amounts to a fairly manageable workload, which allows you to go out as much as you want. Obviously if you're doing law and such and do the readings the self study time will be far greater.

During the summer term study time went up by a lot and i was doing around 40 hours weekly - but I did not go to any revision lectures or classes so it was again fairly manageable - and i still managed going out 3 times a week and got an excellent result in the end :woo:

So, in short, dont panic :yes:

Yes, the library does have silent rooms (and floors I think), but I find it very boring and prefer studying in my room, whilst listening to some quality music :wink:

With regards to swapping - Im not aware of any people on my floor (around 100) that did. So Im guessing its either not easy or people cant be bothered once they get here.
astudent
For study hours it really depends a lot on what subject you're studying. For quantitive ones like economics in the first year I did approximately 10 hours of self study in non-essay and problem set weeks. However bear in mind I also went to 90% of lectures and tutorials so it amounts to a fairly manageable workload, which allows you to go out as much as you want. Obviously if you're doing law and such and do the readings the self study time will be far greater.

During the summer term study time went up by a lot and i was doing around 40 hours weekly - but I did not go to any revision lectures or classes so it was again fairly manageable - and i still managed going out 3 times a week and got an excellent result in the end :woo:

Yes, the library does have silent rooms (and floors I think), but I find it very boring and prefer studying in my room, whilst listening to some quality music :wink:

With regards to swapping - Im not aware of any people on my floor (around 100) that did. So Im guessing its either not easy or people cant be bothered once they get here.

Cool..How do you recommend getting notes for the modules?

Particularly for AC100/MA100/EC102/IS143 or ID100

Are printed notes provided for free? Or do we get those online but surely that would cost alot in terms of printer credit. Or do people take notes during lecturers; but this may mean they're rushed and not tidy. Or make notes in self-study however this may be very time-consuming. Or type out notes? Or just read a book?

Would really appreciate an answer mate.
Reply 67
astudent

Thanks thats great! oo eek about the room swap thing- hope you dont mind me asking but which halls are you in? Ive been given a room in Roseberry you see and I thought that because it was one of the bigger ones lots of people would be swapping about.. obv not! : (
Reply 68
The Enchanted Milkman
Cool..How do you recommend getting notes for the modules?

Particularly for AC100/MA100/EC102/IS143 or ID100

Are printed notes provided for free? Or do we get those online but surely that would cost alot in terms of printer credit. Or do people take notes during lecturers; but this may mean they're rushed and not tidy. Or make notes in self-study however this may be very time-consuming. Or type out notes? Or just read a book?

Would really appreciate an answer mate.

Well for MA100 and EC102 and second term ST102 you are given very detailed notes which cover all of the material and cost 4 quid a piece.

For ST102 first term notes are available online and you can cut printing costs by reading them from moodle and making your own hand written notes when revision time comes. Other than that just look them up when you're doing your exercise sheets. I found it unnecessary to bring any notes to first term stats lectures.

For IS143 the lectures are very dry and boring and I skipped half, which wasnt the brightest idea since the notes uploaded online are very basic and stuff is covered much better in lectures. So this is one subject where it is useful to take notes in the lecture. You'll also be taking notes in EC102, but thats because the notes you're given are incomplete - basically forcing you to go to lectures :wink:

fizzandcop
Thanks thats great! oo eek about the room swap thing- hope you dont mind me asking but which halls are you in? Ive been given a room in Roseberry you see and I thought that because it was one of the bigger ones lots of people would be swapping about.. obv not! : (

I was in Bankside. I guess some people swapped, just none on my floor. Since you're in a more social hall maybe people from other halls will want to swap but they will be from postgrad/less sociable halls.
I wouldn't worry about the recommended study time, at least not in first year. I had 9 contact hours a week and probably spent around another 10 a week reading or doing essays or whatever, so only approx. 20 hours of work a week. The only 'problem' times were when four different subjects wanted an essay in for the same week of term.

Some people went to the library everyday from around 9-10am to study for exams. If you concentrate during the year and just go to lectures (not too difficult to do :p: ) there's no need for library sessions for revision. Some people don't like exams which will make LSE difficult, as it's almost entirely examination based, but some people do create a work load that's exceedingly heavy for themselves by not doing much during the year.
Admonitor
I wouldn't worry about the recommended study time, at least not in first year. I had 9 contact hours a week and probably spent around another 10 a week reading or doing essays or whatever, so only approx. 20 hours of work a week. The only 'problem' times were when four different subjects wanted an essay in for the same week of term.

Some people went to the library everyday from around 9-10am to study for exams. If you concentrate during the year and just go to lectures (not too difficult to do :p: ) there's no need for library sessions for revision. Some people don't like exams which will make LSE difficult, as it's almost entirely examination based, but some people do create a work load that's exceedingly heavy for themselves by not doing much during the year.

But surely just attending lectures and doing well would highly depend on one's intelligence?
The Enchanted Milkman
But surely just attending lectures and doing well would highly depend on one's intelligence?

Maybe, but just by showing up and keeping up with reading during the year means that the pressure is off during the summer term when many people are hectic and trying to do the reading that didn't get done earlier in the year.

Basically what I'm trying to get across is that it doesn't have to be as hard as some people made/make it for themselves. Obviously intelligence is important too but most people at LSE are pretty smart right? :wink:

The total amount of reading I had to do (Econ History, but also took philosophy and international history in first year) did not add up to 40 hours a week, that the uni quote so people shouldn't worry too much. Obviously different subjects will work differently.
Reply 72
El Mariachi
Does anyone know if there is much reading for EC102?

Nope.

I take it there isn't really any reading for MA100, MA103 or ST102...just problem sets?

Yup.
Overmars
Nope.

Yup.

I have never done Economics before in any shape or form..Will I struggle?
Reply 74
The Enchanted Milkman
I have never done Economics before in any shape or form..Will I struggle?

How can you expect someone to answer that?

It all depends. Anyone you ask will just give you the boring answer: I've come across quite a lot of people who haven't done economics a-level (or equivalent) and have done very well. In the same way there's likely to be a lot of people who have done some economics before and have struggled.

They don't assume you know anything. It's a first year module that a lot of people take so they don't make it difficult. Just put in a little effort and you'll probably be fine.
Overmars
How can you expect someone to answer that?

It all depends. Anyone you ask will just give you the boring answer: I've come across quite a lot of people who haven't done economics a-level (or equivalent) and have done very well. In the same way there's likely to be a lot of people who have done some economics before and have struggled.

They don't assume you know anything. It's a first year module that a lot of people take so they don't make it difficult. Just put in a little effort and you'll probably be fine.

oh ok...What are the first couple of lectures about if you remember? Supply and demand I gather?
Reply 76
The Enchanted Milkman
oh ok...What are the first couple of lectures about if you remember? Supply and demand I gather?

I don't remember it that well. Anyone entering their second year who have just done the exam would probably be better placed to answer. From what I do remember, yes, they go through the A-level material very quickly - covering basic supply and demand stuff in the first lecture or so. If you've got nothing else to do, get the 'Frank' Micro textbook (unless it's changed and they're teaching from something else now...) and you might want to brush up on the introductory stuff. Honestly though, it's not bad at all. I wouldn't worry about it.
Overmars
I don't remember it that well. Anyone entering their second year who have just done the exam would probably be better placed to answer. From what I do remember, yes, they go through the A-level material very quickly - covering basic supply and demand stuff in the first lecture or so. If you've got nothing else to do, get the 'Frank' Micro textbook (unless it's changed and they're teaching from something else now...) and you might want to brush up on the introductory stuff. Honestly though, it's not bad at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

oh ok...How did your results go btw???
Reply 78
They went well. Make of that what you will. :wink:
Overmars
They went well. Make of that what you will. :wink:

So you planning on IB too?

Quick Reply

Latest