The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

A Week in the Life: UCL edition

Scroll to see replies

Bah, 2 months sacrifice, 10 months of fun.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Crazster
ill do one for econ, but only if i can talk about the times i lie huddled up in a corner, crying myself to sleep because the course is slowly draining every ounce of determination I have, slowly killing us all.

Have you seen all the 2nd/3rd year modules they're not offering next year? Now we're ****ed!
Reply 22
So where is the stuff people wrote???
Reply 23
I was looking for it too last year round this time..

but now I all I can say is every week is amazing here : )
Reply 24
Jesus, I thought I had it hard, you read that Oxford PPE one?
Please can someone give the details promised by the thread title?!? I'm sooooo keen on UCL, so I'm desperate to know more!

Thanks guys :biggrin:
Reply 26
ExDeusVenitBritannia
Please can someone give the details promised by the thread title?!? I'm sooooo keen on UCL, so I'm desperate to know more!

This obviously didn't take off, hmm I guess I could write a week in my life. It'd be a complete mess of drinking, insomnia, last minute essays etc. not exactly aspirational for prospective students !
Ed.
This obviously didn't take off, hmm I guess I could write a week in my life. It'd be a complete mess of drinking, insomnia, last minute essays etc. not exactly aspirational for prospective students !

Please do. Drinking orgies and disorganisation is all part of the experience, so please, do go crazy with your description.

Obviously you'd end up describing the work you eventually get round to doing, so either way it'll be very useful.

:biggrin:
Reply 28
Well, why would you only want to know about a week in the life at UCL when you could just watch all my videos and get a year in the life of a (international) UCL student?

Yeah...couldn't help the self-promotion opportunity...but I guess most of what I'd say I've already said in my vlogs.

Overall, I'd say that it's been a great experience full of extremely awesome and nice people. Studying abroad at UCL has been one of my best decisions I've ever made.
Reply 29
Hah, I like how most of the current students are mostly saying "drinking". Well, I guess when you work as hard as UCL students do, you tend to want to party just as hard...and having a union with cheap drinks doesn't hurt either.
artifex85
Well, I guess when you work as hard as UCL students do, you tend to want to party just as hard....

Sums it up :wink:

ExDeusVenitBritannia

My timetable as a first year law fresher was:

Monday:
10 - 11am: Contract tutorial (had this every other week)
11 - 1pm: Property lecture from hell (attendance understandably decreased gradually during the year)
2 - 3pm: Public law lecture
3 - 4pm: Property tutorial (again had this every other week)

Monday night = Moonies... if you can survive the waking up for contract on tuesday.

Tuesday:
9 - 11am: Contract lecture (i.e. half the law fresher either a) turned up because they were crazy, b) skived, went to Moonies on monday night and didn't wake up on time, c) turned up to the lecture, woo, fell asleep at the back)

2 - 3pm: Public law lecture

Tuesday afternoons I'd be doing Public law work for tutorial on thursday

Tuesday night = jazz jammin in the union!

Wednesday:
11 - 12pm: World Legal Orders lecture

Wednesday afternoons I'd probably do the WLO work for the tutorial on friday.

Thursday:
11 - 1pm: World Legal Orders lecture (why we needed 3 hours a week of WLO I don't know)

1 - 2pm: Public Law tutorial (again, had this every other week)

Club neon is always on a thursday, so I went to all the club neons this year :smile: messy, crowded and fun with face paint & glow sticks.

Friday:
12 - 1pm: World Legal Orders tutorial (every other week)

Saturday:
During the day I'd usually be doing the property tutorial work... sleeping, watching TV, catching up with friends etc etc

Sunday:
During the day, I might be found doing the property reading for the lecture (then again maybe not... I found out that most of the time the reading is essential, but pointless because some of the cases don't make sense, and the lecturer explained them in the lecture)

Fit into the timetable random things like... going to the Welcome Trust thing on a whim, being sucked into the Scientology place, going to ICCOS for lunch at the weekend, other clubbing events like Pacha, and you have a fairly average timetable for a law fresher. Some people did more work than I did, some people went out more and did less work... :smile:
Reply 31
La Songeuse

Tuesday night = jazz jammin in the union!

Whoa whoa whoa...you went to Jazz Jammin? I played keyboard for Jazz Jammin this year....
Reply 32
I'd be really interested to find out about a psychology-student week! Anyone? :biggrin:
Reply 33
I really want to know how is it like to be doing UPCH course...and how is the nighlife and the boys...and everything i need to know since i'm not from uk and this will be my first time living alone in a different country...which accomodation should i go? i want to know who is going to the uni halls so that i could be friends with before i got there...

anyone?
Reply 34
jussy2106
I really want to know how is it like to be doing UPCH course...and how is the nighlife and the boys...and everything i need to know since i'm not from uk and this will be my first time living alone in a different country...which accomodation should i go? i want to know who is going to the uni halls so that i could be friends with before i got there...

anyone?

There is little activity around here, unfortunately.. probably people are busy with uni:biggrin:

I think I'm going to apply for canterbury hall and my second option will probably be college hall. What about you?
This will also be my first time living alone in a different country.. I guess a lot of people will have to deal with this . With a little luck we shall be fine :smile:
Reply 35
cristinam
There is little activity around here, unfortunately.. probably people are busy with uni:biggrin:

I think I'm going to apply for canterbury hall and my second option will probably be college hall. What about you?
This will also be my first time living alone in a different country.. I guess a lot of people will have to deal with this . With a little luck we shall be fine :smile:

I dont know which hall am i going yet...But i'm looking for one that is close to the uni, no need to take bus of stuff like that...catered, with internet, bathroom in the room, because i hate sharing it with other people and other fun stuff like tons of people and cute boys..hahaha..
Reply 36
jussy2106
I dont know which hall am i going yet...But i'm looking for one that is close to the uni, no need to take bus of stuff like that...catered, with internet, bathroom in the room, because i hate sharing it with other people and other fun stuff like tons of people and cute boys..hahaha..

yes, I also want bathroom in the room and that's why I'm thinking of applying for canterbury and college hall. They have en suite and they are also close to uni.
Don't know about the cute boys though :p:
Reply 37
cristinam
yes, I also want bathroom in the room and that's why I'm thinking of applying for canterbury and college hall. They have en suite and they are also close to uni.
Don't know about the cute boys though :p:

lool...well...if we get together...we can look for them :P...send me ur email if u want to talk...

p.s: it would be great to make friends before going to ucl..
Reply 38
There are no cute boys at UCL :frown:

To stay on topic, here's my timetable as a first year in the Italian deparment.

Monday: 9am-11am Italian Grammar, 11am-1pm Italian Linguistics (Optional course, term 2 only)
Tuesday: 10am-11am Making of Modern France, 11am-12pm French Literature in Context, 4pm-5pm Realism and Neorealism (optional course), sometimes a realism film screening.
Wednesday: Nothing. Bliss!
Thursday: 11am-1pm Italian Oral, 2pm-3pm Italian History (optional course)
Friday: 9am-11am Italian Crime Novels (optional course, term 1 only)

I do the French modules because I was doing French and Italian before I switched to straight Italian. Normally an Italian student would do another Italian module, which this year was Modern Authors (wednesday sometime, term 1 only) and an outside option, since the Dante professor is on sabbatical.
Reply 39
Medicine First Year ? :erm:

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending