The Student Room Group

BTEC or A levels to get onto a CGI/Animation/SFX degree at University?

I have heard from quite a few of my friends and relatives that doing a BTEC in e-media and games development would actually be worse then carrying on my A levels in German, Philosophy and History even if I wanted to go onto a degree that would have simliar content to my BTEC and I would have created the needed portfolio.
Which would be better, and is it true that universitys look down on BTECs and consider them stupid?
Reply 1
Some universities don't accept BTECs and other will only accept if combined with other qualifications.
So you reckon maybe the BTEC with my AS's i will have from this year will be okay?
Reply 3
phone/email the admissions departments of some courses/unis you like the look of and ask them.
Was hoping i might be able to get some advice here, but i guess i could do that
Reply 5
Ok fair enough. My advice would be to continue your A levels and get as good grades as possible, AS levels are no substitute for A levels, despite UCAS worth etc etc.
Meanwhile, build up a portfolio of work from your own home. Buy the programs and a book or two, then just do it as a hobby. You could also do evening classes/summer school.

Then if you still want to after A levels you can do the BTEC. But to be honest with a good portfolio done in your own time you won't need it. Just depends how committed you are.

Again though I should add that no admissions tutors reply on this forum and they will give you by far and away the best advice so I strongly recommend you do that. [might even be worth checking out some of the jobs you wish to do as well].
Reply 6
After a quick Google search I came across this topic and wow, what terrible advice! I had to sign up and post. I don't mean to insult who has responded to this but it is obvious that you have little to no experience in this field.

First, for a CG course a BTEC is more then adequate and not a bad thing to have compared to A levels.

This is because a university's department which specializes in CG and art will like to see that you have done a more concentrated course in that field. A BTEC in some form of digital media or art is better then German, Philosophy and History A levels in there eyes.

A big thing that CGI courses look for is that you can draw so if you must do A levels, choose Art as one of your choices.

The CGI industry is a competitive place as with most art related jobs. You cant leave university with a 2:1 and expect to get a job strait away. You have to be good! At least 100 people graduated from my university with a CGI degree and I can tell you 90% of them were far from getting a CG job unless they worked really hard and got better.

Because of your choice in education, your art skills will not increase quickly. Once at university you will see a big disadvantage.

Of course if you are not 100% sure about doing a CG course then your choices are good. You can decide to jump to another course. But if your going to be paying around 20k for a degree in CG, then you need some skills to build you up to it.

In regard of develop you portfolio in your spare time then sure. But you still wont have experienced teachers giving you advice on your art.
If you do some extra night lectures then sure but whats the point. If you are committed to enter that field then just do the BTEC.

Right I think thats my rant over. I hope this will help you and all who see this out.
A little about the rout I took.

I took an additional foundation GNVQ in art and design
BTEC in 3d design
Took a BSC course in computer animation and Special FX
Im a recent graduate and work currently as a computer animator.

My brother in law is wanting to work in a CG field and he is about to start he BTEC.
Reply 7
well personally i think you should go for a BTEC.. university's do accept them
in my BTEC.. i gain DDM.. and that works out at 320 ucas points
You will have a lot more fun on a BTEC course.
Reply 8
I think go with the A-levels (in case you change your mind, which happens sometimes!), then take foundation diploma in art and design. The good courses should offer a pathway onto animation and computer arts etc. It's what many of my friends did.

You're in London? Seriously consider Ravensbourne. After doing your rotations you would move onto Lens Based Media and get to do whatever you want basically. The course is free, and they do internal interviews to get onto the FDA/BA
http://www.rave.ac.uk/find/courses.htm

Then again the FDAs (leading onto a 3rd year BA) ask for

"We do everything we can to help students without traditional qualifications to gain access to higher education and reach their study goals. But we must be satisfied that you will be able to cope with our demanding programmes.

This means we are rigorous about the standards of evidence we ask you to provide - including a portfolio and written work - before we will make you an offer.

Foundation degree applicants will normally be expected to possess four GCSEs (grade C or above) or equivalent (preferably including English, Media/Technology) and also hold at least one of the following or equivalent:

* 1 A-Level or BTEC National Diploma
* AVCE or GNVQ Advanced (Level 3)
* NVQ3 in relevant subject(s)"

But it's only one place, and I don't know how good it is for animation and stuff. The people on the course I know seem to love it. But yeah if you were to choose the Foundation route they give you the animation option (there were some really ****ed up ones in our final year show the year before last!!)
Really offtopic: I read the title as getting into an Animation/SEX degree thus clicked it.

I'll leave now :getmecoat:
Original post by Fool of a took
I have heard from quite a few of my friends and relatives that doing a BTEC in e-media and games development would actually be worse then carrying on my A levels in German, Philosophy and History even if I wanted to go onto a degree that would have simliar content to my BTEC and I would have created the needed portfolio.
Which would be better, and is it true that universitys look down on BTECs and consider them stupid?

Hi, im in the exact position you are, in. In terms of BTEC and A-Levels, i decided to do a-levels as unis seem to conciser this qualification more, but i did quite badly in my AS and im curently working towards my A2 exams which are right round the corner. I was wondering were you able to get into the CGI/Animation field that you were hoping for, if so how did you go about it? As i didnt do well in my AS so when i've finished a-levels im think of doing a foundation in art and design
Reply 11
Original post by TheDboyAi
Hi, im in the exact position you are, in. In terms of BTEC and A-Levels, i decided to do a-levels as unis seem to conciser this qualification more, but i did quite badly in my AS and im curently working towards my A2 exams which are right round the corner. I was wondering were you able to get into the CGI/Animation field that you were hoping for, if so how did you go about it? As i didnt do well in my AS so when i've finished a-levels im think of doing a foundation in art and design

It depends on what uni course you want to do, if you want to do Animation or something like that then BTEC in either Art/Design, Creative Media, Graphic Design or mayve IT or a combination of those would be better than A levels
Original post by yt7777
It depends on what uni course you want to do, if you want to do Animation or something like that then BTEC in either Art/Design, Creative Media, Graphic Design or mayve IT or a combination of those would be better than A levels

Thanks, ive been more orientated on doing CGI based course at uni rather than animation, i also do i.t at AS level so that could help contribute towards my decision
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by TheDboyAi
Thanks, ive been more orientated on doing CGI based course at uni rather than animation, i also do i.t at AS level so that could help contribute towards my decision

Yeah, have a look at the modules first though, there are some good ones for what you want to do like: Digital Graphics, Computer Animation, Computer Games Design, HCI, Graphics for Interactive Media, 3D modelling, Web Animation, Multimedia design, interactive Media Authoring and some other relevant ones

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending