The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well out of the 2 female teachers I had in 6th form, I adored one and loathed the other. The one I loathed was simply **** at her job.
They expect a fancy looking cover, ideally pink

What a [false] stereotype!
Reply 22
city_chic
What a [false] stereotype!

I am just telling the truth. Coursework with a pink cover scores the most, half of my class did it and they got As. Coincidence?
I do hope it was a false stereotype only.
fastswift
I am just telling the truth. Coursework with a pink cover scores the most, half of my class did it and they got As. Coincidence?
I do hope it was a false stereotype only.

Wow, I simply cannot believe that's true! Not saying you're lying... but wow. Ugh, I hate pink anyway. It's my least fave colour. I hate the overall stereotype that all girls love everything pink :rolleyes:
Female teachers you don't get on with tend to be more bitchy and personal, but if you get on with them they are much nicer than a male teacher you get on with.
Reply 25
fastswift
It does affect my grade. I got Bs in written paper and E in coursework. Luckily I drop that subject, don't have to see those old maids anymore.

I was thinking about exams, I didn't even think about coursework...
bummer, then lol
Its mixed for me, I get on well with one of my female teachers, she's great, but one of my male teachers is just so..... useless and expects a class of 20 doing AS PE to know what to do without being told so.
My tutor back in year 11 was female and she was a cow basically. To me anyway. I hated her so much. Whatever happened before was always brought up and she was constantly upsetting me, infront of other students too. But then my tutor now is male and he's the best teacher out of the lot of them. He'll do anything to help if he can and checks everything's ok with me and that every now and again. He's also the only one I trust in that place.

I guess it just depends on the person individually, in my case anyway.
Reply 27
I have it working both ways really, the odd bitchy male and female teacher.. There's always yin and yang on both genders.. :wink:
Heh. I do stereotypically masculine subjects (Maths, F. Maths and Physics), but oddly only have female teachers this year. Not had a problem learning the maths 'because my teachers female' (more because, I'm just not that good, or putting enough time in, and trying to get grades above what indicators would suggest I can get).

At school though, was pretty much balanced - I really don't understand why a teacher would be better because of their gender...I had an awful sarky history teacher - male. Dreary and dull english teacher - female. Awesome geog. teach - male, legendary french teacher - female.

OP - I think you're most likely just noticing a coincidence...
Reply 29
I think it's more to do with the individual teacher. Some female teachers are bitches, but you get the odd **** of a male teacher too.
Reply 30
Most of my teachers were female, and I got on really well with most of them, and am really good friends with one.

That said, most of my male teachers were absolutely fabulous and I was really close to one of them. I don't think female teachers are necessarily better than male, or vice versa, it's all dependent on their own personalities.
i know it's easier to get away with stuff with male teachers
Reply 32
The female teachers always seem to have favourites and that gets on my nerves...
shenzys
The female teachers always seem to have favourites and that gets on my nerves...

Agreed especially when it comes to young female teachers.

My best teacher is a female teacher but she's quite a fair teacher and has no favourites (or doesn't openly show it).

One of my other females teacher cancelled a lesson the other day because she was feeling moody. She was totally out of it. Then she apologised to a student for being bitchy. She's moody just about every week.

Generally I prefer male teachers. They tend to be less fussy. They just get the job done. No nonsense stuff :cool:
i only have female teachers for art. they're okay, the ones in artare a bit odd though. one is blunt and harsh/nice as hell, depends if you're good oro not. another is a complete dumb bitch waste of space, another two are really nice and helpful.
i don'y know how female teaches would compare for my other subjects, but i like me menzzz
fastswift

While in biology, the females comment harshly on the quantity and neatness of students' work. They expect a fancy looking cover, ideally pink; in a plastic transparent folder; as many words and paper as possible (it resembles the Charles Dickens era: paid by number of words).
Once a 50s single woman (probably still a virgin) told me off, for not putting lines around my data, "it is NOT a table, it is a list! I want a table..." she said.
She wants me to copy the whole thing to another paper, because I crossed out a few words or I used Tipp-Ex. (male teachers never give a damn about it)

Ive learned over the years that this problem is more like a specific issue with biologists! Ive never had a male biology teacher to compare with, but the female ones definitely have presentation 'issues'.

In chemistry I can scrawl my answers all over a sheet of A4, in a somewhat ad-hoc manor. Inclusive of food stains and coffee rings..
And my male or female teacher would not mind, aslong as they can get an answer from it somewhere.

With biology they seem to have more specific rules, much like in primary school.
e.g.
*underline all titles
*use a pencil to draw graphs
*all plans and graphs must by handwritten and not word processed/ comp generated

etc etc.
Reply 36
I'm at an all girls school and I find that the female teachers, well some are nice only a few though and the rest are annoying. To be fair i get on better with male teachers, but i don't know if thats just because of the subject that they teach. I always find male teachers lessons to be more fun but you learn as much as usually more than you do in a females lesson.
But thats just my opinion.!
Reply 37
Thats true.
Male teachers are way 'cooler' and chilled out, in a good way. Because they're not always chatting about things like neatness and all, when they say something to you about your work or whatever, it seems more important. But I am more comfortable with female teachers though, to interact with. Maybe thats because I go to a girls' school and *might* feel that men are different. <<< i.e. weird or something, not normal basically.
:biggrin:
Reply 38
da_kind92
But I am more comfortable with female teachers though, to interact with. Maybe thats because I go to a girls' school and *might* feel that men are different. <<< i.e. weird or something, not normal basically.
:biggrin:

See i'm the opposite. I also go to an all girls school but i find it so much easier to interact with my male teachers and find it way easier to talk to them. I think its because some of the female teachers, well i feel that they judge me quickly.. I don't know really!!
its not the pickin on the slightest mistake that annoys me about my only female teacher its the torrent of red pen remarks that i find everytime i get my hamlet back. its not that bad, seriously it isn't. its to "put people in their place so they dont get cocky" but all it does is completely demoralise people.

my male teachers on the other hand are much more "friendly" in their marking and give encouragement when its needed. and yes most of my favourite teachers have been male.

Latest

Trending

Trending