The Student Room Group

Finding a Summer Job

I am looking for a summer job and have no clue how I go about getting one (I've only done volunteering up until now). Should I wait until after the exams to apply for one? Or start to apply now?

Ideally I am really looking to be a waiter but have no experience, so not sure how successful I would be in that - so all in all, I just want money for uni so would be happy to do anything, so is there any jobs easy to get?

Finally how do part-time jobs work during the summer? I do have a summer holiday booked and Reading festival, so how happy are employers in allowing temps taking time off?
Reply 1
it depends on where you work and how nice your manager is. and if you want to work now apply now, however there will be more vacancies available in the summer but there will be more competition for jobs in the summer cos more people want to work, thus more youth will be looking for work
Reply 2
http://www.seasonworkers.com/
quite possibly the greatest website in the world for summer jobs with no experience required.
Reply 3
and i started applying in december for jobs :P
Reply 4
As a general rule of thumb, the earlier you apply, the better, but it does depend on the place that you are applying. If they are well organised, you can apply when you like, and just say that you won't be able to start until after exams. If not, then they are likely to forget about you, and give someone else the job in the meantime (I have seen it happen much more than it should).

I would apply, and possibly jsut do a few shifts to tide you over. It will let you get a feel for the job (and give you chance to change, should you not like it), and get to know the people.

As far as waiting with no experience goes, I wouldn't worry too much, the general gist of the role is to be nice to customers, and not let them know that the kitchen is: on fire/without power/a sea of expletives, depending on what the current situation is. All the rest (taking orders, carrying large amounts of food without spilling, etc.) will be taught to you.
Reply 5
Alright, thanks for all the advice :biggrin:
I'm in a similar position but woudn't be able to work until after exams in june anyway. Would it be stupid to say, apply/look/send out CVs after my exams/during them, and then say that I wouldn't be able to start until after my planned holiday? Would I be missing out on people contacting me etc ..
Reply 7
There would be some people who would prefer people who could start immediately/in the near future, but most summer job industries have a sudden surge of custom - and so need for staff - during the summer, so will take whatever staff that they can get.

Latest

Trending

Trending