The Student Room Group

What to write to GP for work exp

Hi

I called up a GP asking for work exp and the woman i spoke to said i had to send some official fax to them.

I was just wondering what i should include in the fax.
I know to write - 'Dear XXX im interested in becoming doctor and am looking to get some work exp and wanted to know if it was possible to work at your surgery for a week'

-but is there is anything else specific i should say or ask when i send this fax
Maybe say when you're free to do the work exp? If you want to do it in the holiday maybe say I can do anytime from (some date)

lol I rememeber I just printed off the same letter to send to five random doctor surgeries last year :p: (I changed the name on the letter and address etc of course xD)
Reply 2
I wrote a letter just under a page long (to the Practice Manager). Be specific, say when it is, why you are interested in Medicine, your interests/activities and your how your skills can be related to the stuff etc. And be polite. Did it for me
Reply 3
FFCrusader
Maybe say when you're free to do the work exp? If you want to do it in the holiday maybe say I can do anytime from (some date)

lol I rememeber I just printed off the same letter to send to five random doctor surgeries last year :p: (I changed the name on the letter and address etc of course xD)

cheers, so far this is the only gp that asked me to do this but then again the 5 gp's i called before said theydidn't do work exp, so im just praying i can get any exp
My goodness...make it a lot more formal than the draft you're considering. No GP in their right mind would take you on if you only make the effort to write them two lines. As said before, write when you're free, why you want to study medicine, perhaps a bit about yourself, that sort of thing. And be polite, very polite! :smile:
Dear Dr. NAME,

I am writing to you to see if it will be possible for you to offer me a work experience placement at your surgery.

I am currently at SCHOOL NAME studying for my A LEVELS/ GCSE's IN XYZ. As a prospective medical student, it has been made clear to me that as much work experience possible should be sought, in order to make my application to university stand out.

I am able to do work experience from DATES to DATES. Any help you may offer will be much appreciated, and I look forward to hearing from you.

What I wrote, with more detail for me personally - worth rep I reckon OP. :wink: :biggrin:

(Attatch your CV)

:smile:
I didn't write any letters to them. I just called them, they fixed me an appointment and asked me about why I wanted to shadow them etc etc, and next day I got an email giving me the time and date and duration.

But if you're writing a letter, make it more formal than that. Attach your CV, talk about school and dates and basically what Speedbird said..
Reply 7
101 Cynicism
I didn't write any letters to them. I just called them, they fixed me an appointment and asked me about why I wanted to shadow them etc etc, and next day I got an email giving me the time and date and duration.

But if you're writing a letter, make it more formal than that. Attach your CV, talk about school and dates and basically what Speedbird said..

While I did a stint in GP, I remember the practice having a call from an A-level student wanting some experience, reception took a message. The senior partner thought it showed enthusiasm and got me to call him back to arrange a chat (I think I originally called during class and got him told off :P). He got a week's shadowing sorted quite easily.

Doctors generally hate paperwork :P
Reply 8
It would be a good idea to include your CV and Personal Statement to back up your wishes to go into medicine. Also, to make it sound less 'short and sweet', try adding why you want this work experience and how it would really help you to becoming a Doctor. Also, include dates that you're free.

If they don't reply after a month, give them a ring. I've found pestering works!

Latest

Trending

Trending