The Student Room Group

Law Offers/Rejections Thread 2005

Let's face it - I'm nosey. And I also want to bask in the reflected glory of what may prove to be a popular thread. :biggrin:

TSR Law 2005

Birmingham
Name: AJ (Aj2003)
Firm: Birmingham (AAA); Law LLB
Insurance: Nottingham Trent (260 points); Law LLB

Cambridge
Name: Emily (emily87)
Firm: Cambridge, Downing (AAB) (2006 entry); Law BA

Name: Vass (vintage_queen)
Firm: Cambridge, Downing (AB); Law BA
Insurance: Durham (A); Law LLB

Name: Godmaster
Firm: Cambridge, Robinson (AAA); Law BA
Insurance: KCL AAB; Law LLB

Durham
Name: Eammon (EammonHF)
Firm: Durham (AAA); Law LLB
Insurance: Bristol (AAB); Law LLB

Exeter
Name: Kev98
Firm: Exeter (ABB); Law LLB

Name: Katy (katy1986)
Firm: Exeter (AAB); Law LLB

KCL
Name: Lauren (Lauren18)
Firm: KCL (AAB); Law LLB
Insurance: Northumbria (BBB); Law LLB

Name: Lottelo
Insurance: Sheffield (AAA inc. General); Law LLB

Name: Acey10
Insurance: Nottingham (ABB); Law LLB

Name: Dreama
Insurance: UEA (EE); Law LLB

Liverpool
Name: Matt (M@255)
Firm: Liverpool (AAB)

LSE
Name: Colly
Firm: LSE (AAA); Law LLB
Insurance: Queen's Belfast (AAB); Law LLB

Name: Rob (mobb_theprequel)
Firm: LSE (AAA); Law LLB
Insurance: KCL (AAB); Law LLB

Nottingham
Name: Rahul Parmar
Firm: Nottingham (unconditional); Law LLB
Insurance: N/A

Nottingham Trent
Name: Amzybaby24
Firm: Nottingham Trent (BBC); Law LLB
Insurance: Sheffield Hallam (BCC); Law LLB

UCL
Name: Mikeyboy (Mike (Onearmedbandit))
Firm: UCL (uncon.); Law LLB

Name: Tom (tomcoolinguk)
Firm: UCL (AAA); Law with Australian Legal Studies LLB
Insurance: TBC
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

mobb_theprequel
Let's face it - I'm nosey. And I also want to bask in the reflected glory of what may prove to be a popular thread. :biggrin:

When we all get 5 rejections on one day- you're going to be really popular! :smile:

mobb_theprequel
I want to know if you've had any offers for law courses (2005 entry), or alternatively, any rejections. I also want to know your exam results.

Will update as and when.

Name:
Tom

GCSE results: 4A7A*

AS results: AAAA

A2 predictions: AAAA

Law courses applied to

Cambridge
Interviewed by Downing; :rolleyes: then pooled unsucessfully. It was not meant to be, and I really urge future cohort(s) to be aware of what Oxbridge is and what it isnt. The hall experience at many universities mimics the essence of the collegiate structure, and what really makes university is the place, the people and the course. Having said that, I would of course urge people to apply for Oxbridge- if only to get your form in early!

Bristol
Finally obtained an offer in February!

Durham
Offer in December, which I only found a few days after Xmas (had actually been posted on 14/12- two days before my birthday!)

Warwick
Offer in January- quite frankly, why the hell would any one apply to do Law at Warwick! A wasted choice- LSE or KCL or Manchester are much better!

UCL
Offer in April.... after much waiting, but without an evil interview (which makes me very happy). The fact I am taking the brand new Law with Oz Law course made this easy to take up... I'm so excited. UCL Law Faculty is not as aesthetically pleasing as either the Bristol or Durham buildings, but the surrounding area is a sanitised image of city living- very very good.

Nottingham
Offer in late December (woo hoo). Such a great city, but my brother is going there :frown:. A really amazing place to study- with many benefits, and some great transfer oppurtunities.

5 Offers. Woo hoo!
tomcoolinguk
When we all get 5 rejections on one day- you're going to be really popular! :smile:

It's all part of the fun! :wink:

I really wish that I'd applied for Anth/Law (BBB offers) at LSE, instead of to Nottingham... I quite like the sound of the course - and it would have been a good insurance, ah well.

I've got a sneaking feeling that KCL offers are going to be made within the next fortnight.

Name:
Rob

GCSE results: 8A*4A

AS results: AAAAA

A2 predictions: AAAAA

Law courses applied to

Oxford; LSE; UCL; Durham; KCL; Nottingham (all for LLB Law or equiv.)
I will only be studying for 3 full GCE 'A' levels. I don't know why I bothered with some universities now. Oh well.
Reply 4
Name:Misbah Imtiaz

GCSE results:
4 As, 4 Bs, and 1C (I have my reasons though, number 1 being the world cup was on... :biggrin: )

AS results: AAAB

A2 final grades: AAA

Law courses applied to: Durham, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Oxford, Newcastle

(I am currently on a gap year working in a city law firm so that should hold me in good stead hopefully! :smile: )
Reply 5
Misbah Imtiaz
Name:Misbah Imtiaz

GCSE results:
4 As, 4 Bs, and 1C (I have my reasons though, number 1 being the world cup was on... :biggrin: )

AS results: AAAB

A2 final grades: AAA

Law courses applied to: Durham, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Oxford, Newcastle

(I am currently on a gap year working in a city law firm so that should hold me in good stead hopefully! :smile: )

Which firm?
Reply 6
Vitriol01
Which firm?

Green (in Manchester just off Deansgate/King St)
Reply 7
Misbah Imtiaz
Green (in Manchester just off Deansgate/King St)

Wait a minute. Aren't "city" law firms supposed to be located in the "city" - i.e that patch of real estate in London where all the other "city" businesses are? Do you not mean to refer to a "commercial" law firm?
Reply 8
muncrun
Wait a minute. Aren't "city" law firms supposed to be located in the "city" - i.e that patch of real estate in London where all the other "city" businesses are? Do you not mean to refer to a "commercial" law firm?

No they have various offices. I'm at the Manchester one. Manchester's "city" is Deansgate. (all the big businesses are located there)
Reply 9
Misbah Imtiaz
No they have various offices. I'm at the Manchester one. Manchester's "city" is Deansgate. (all the big businesses are located there)

Well just so you know in the common legal parlance a "city law firm" doesnt refer to a firm in the "city" otherwise a "west end firm" would also be a city law firm. The city law firms are those within the "city" where that is taken to mean the square mile, or financial "city" in london.
Reply 10
Name: Dreama

GCSE results: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAABB

AS results: AAAC

A2 predictions/final grades: AAAa

Law courses applied to:
Bristol, East Anglia, Exeter, Kings, Warwick, Oxford
Reply 11
Lawzzzzzz
Well just so you know in the common legal parlance a "city law firm" doesnt refer to a firm in the "city" otherwise a "west end firm" would also be a city law firm. The city law firms are those within the "city" where that is taken to mean the square mile, or financial "city" in london.

thanks for spelling it out. Didn't know the term "city" was going to cause so much confusion.... :rolleyes:
Should I go to my employers too and notify them?!
Reply 12
Misbah Imtiaz
thanks for spelling it out. Didn't know the term "city" was going to cause so much confusion.... :rolleyes:

If you want. Im just telling you the impression it gives in general. I didnt invent it, but it is the case.
GCSE 9A* 3A

AS AAAA

A2 predictions AAA

Oxford, Exter, Warwick, Southampton, UWE, Plymouth

no offers yet

Im a bit worried about the LNAT did any of you get confirmation or something like that?
Reply 14
Misbah Imtiaz

I would imagine that your employers already know that a 'City' law firm in legal circles refers to a select few within a small area of London. It is pretty well known by, well, everybody, to be perfectly honest.

Not that there is anything wrong with not being a city firm, and there are lots of firms equally good (or often better than) city firms, especially for certain niche areas, but dressing up a non-city firm as a 'city (of Manchester)' firm seems a dubious practice to me.
Reply 15
sarah@Caerleon

Im a bit worried about the LNAT did any of you get confirmation or something like that?

Nope, no confirmation nothing.

Do we just turn up at the centre at 10.45 and be done with it?

I'd feel more comfortable with a letter or *something*

I entered my UCAS number and clicked save... I think it's very poorly organised.

Dreama xxxx
sarah@Caerleon

Nope, I paid for it yesterday.
Reply 17
jcw

Not that there is anything wrong with not being a city firm, and there are lots of firms equally good (or often better than) city firms, especially for certain niche areas, but dressing up a non-city firm as a 'city (of Manchester)' firm seems a dubious practice to me.

It's not dubious if it was an honest mistake, which he already says it was.
:confused:
Reply 18
jcw
I would imagine that your employers already know that a 'City' law firm in legal circles refers to a select few within a small area of London. It is pretty well known by, well, everybody, to be perfectly honest.

Well what I was trying to get at is that in the firm's leaflet it states that it is a city law firm, thus I gathered thats what I was working in (yeah - how stupid of me ?! :rolleyes: ). They wouldn't say that they were a city law firm if they weren't - that would just be stupid. Get my drift?
Dreama
Nope, no confirmation nothing.

Do we just turn up at the centre at 10.45 and be done with it?

I'd feel more comfortable with a letter or *something*

I entered my UCAS number and clicked save... I think it's very poorly organised.

Dreama xxxx

Yes the LNAT is incredibly poorly organised. The whole test is a complete mess. I learnt at a Cam open day that Pearson have been unable to guarantee scores being available for interviews!

I'm really interested at how Oxford will be shortlisting people. My personal hope- based on the people I know who are applying is:

1/4 GCSEs- best 9 (I think it is unfair to penalise people because they go to schools which force them to take 11 or 12).
1/4 LNAT section A
1/4 LNAT Essay
1/4 Individulaised Factors (A Level predictions, AS results if declared (Don't even discuss this at the moment. I am incredibly mad at the number of people I know who have obtained AAA predictions with shoddy AS grades. I wonder- why did I work?), personal statement and reference).

I wonder- though-if they will be able to mark the essays in sufficient tiem for the interviews. I think this is really important, because one thing I have noticed with the LNAT is that science/math students overperform on Section A, but have less developed essay writing and extended analytical skills. If the essay is not used at the shortlisting stage, Oxford will have made a grave mistake.

Though, personally, I think they shouldn't be shortlisting this year, as the exam is new.

Which is one of [many :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: ] reasons I chose to apply to Cambridge!

Latest

Trending

Trending