The Student Room Group

likelihood of becoming mentally ill?

hey, starting from june last year i did some mdma. i never did much - a dab or two every couple of months - in fact i only even bought it once (1/3 of a gram shared between a couple of other people over a weekend at a festival, so not loads, i was quite wasted though). i stopped after my 4th time (in october) as it triggered a panic attack, i am a very anxious sort of person. i didn't do it then for 3 months, but when i was very drunk i did it in jan (a tiny bit) with no panic. i then did it a month ago (another tiny bit) and had a panicky reaction which really scared me, and i will never do it again, not ever. i have had physical checks because of an anxiety problem anyway (schoolwork, 2 bereavements this year so far, illness in the family all contributed) and i'm in good health. i've just read scary things on the net since and i'm scared i will develop mental health problems like schizophrenia. considering my light former usage, how likely is this?
Reply 1
MDMA is associated with schizophrenia only in diagnoses schizophrenics where it's use can cause severe relapse. However, it is quite strongly associated with other psychiatric symptoms including anxiety, panic attacks, depression, insomnia and some psychotic sequelae.

That said, risk is an individual thing. If you are predisposed to anxiety you are more likely to develop an anxiety disorder, drug use becomes less of a significant causative or trigger factor. That is important to bear in mind for the future.

If you, or someone around you, is worried then it may not be a bad idea to discuss this with your doctor. I'd be concerned if anxiety and symptoms of anxiety (tension, agitation, trembling, insomnia, etc.) begin to affect your life and your ability to function.

It's good that you're aware of this, but I wouldn't suggest that there is any reason to be unduly worried.
Reply 2
No. I'm pretty certain that while the immediate effects can be very serious (brain tumors, comas), only prolonged usage leads to long-term problems. A handful of times isn't going to cause any permenant damage.
Reply 3
While it isn't impossible for you to develop some form of mental illness as a result of this it is probably unlikely considering the amount that you have used. However it is a possibility with any level of use. Not everyone who does this drug is going to develop mental illness it just considerable increases your risk. I would definitely recommend that you not use it again. If you do start to notice any strange symptoms go and see your GP and make sure that they know about your past drug use.

However in the mean time try not to worry as that really isn't going to help anything.
Reply 4
the anxiety is interfering with my life a lot and i have been to the doctor, but i am coping with it alright...i have beta blockers but have only taken them once and am in fact feeling much better. its just sometimes at night i wake up and keep going over the drugs in my head, i regret it so much, and that's what's making me anxious. since october i've actually been really anti-drugs, just when you're upset and drunk and someones telling you to have a little bit because you'll feel better it can be hard not to.
Reply 5
the anxiety is interfering with my life a lot and i have been to the doctor, but i am coping with it alright...i have beta blockers but have only taken them once and am in fact feeling much better. its just sometimes at night i wake up and keep going over the drugs in my head, i regret it so much, and that's what's making me anxious. since october i've actually been really anti-drugs, just when you're upset and drunk and someones telling you to have a little bit because you'll feel better it can be hard not to. i just overanalyse everything and would hate to end up psychotic!
Reply 6
THE NADINUS
No. I'm pretty certain that while the immediate effects can be very serious (brain tumors, comas), only prolonged usage leads to long-term problems.
Any rationale for this?

Latest

Trending

Trending